White Screen of Death?!

Tom357

Reaction score
Ok so I was installing a new rom (specifically ineffabilis-ics-alpha-rezound)using clockworkmod and everything went smoothly until I had to reboot the phone well I found out i needed to change the boot.img through fastboot but the problem is I cant reach any recovery menus I have tried taking the battery out and putting it back in and holding the power button and up on the volume rocker but nothing happens I need all the help I could get this thing wasn't cheap and I want to prevent it from becoming a paperweight help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
T

Tom357

Reaction score
Can you give me the steps on how I would do this i cant access recovery mode (HBOOT).

Last edited:

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You will need to pull the sd card and put it in another phone or anything that can read/write to it, and put the appropriate file on it for what ever your trying to boot. {ICS/GB}

OP
T

Tom357

Reaction score
Ok so I would put the boot.img on the sd card and it should work?

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
as long as it is the right one for whatever ROM you where flashing. I would go to that thread and double check your situation..... Here's my story.

I was flashing a ICS Rom and got the white screen just like you did. So I decided to give up on ICS and placed the old PH98.IMG on the sd card which got me one step closer. Then I restored my back up and all was well...almost. The ROM I flashed changed my mainver. file which can only be corrected by an official update to ICS or with some reading and a hexeditor.

You may have more challenges ahead but this can all be fixed, you surly don't have a paper weight YET, so go back to the beginning find the right (boot.img/PH98.img) file for the ROM and ask some more questions so we can get it up and running.

SAVE YOUR BATTERY!!!!!!!!! Don't be making multiple attempts over and over again. I'm sorry I can't help more with a step by step but my brain wasn't made that way. Hopefully someone else will chime in and be able to be more clear on the exact steps. Calling MrSmith, paging MrSmith.

OP
T

Tom357

Reaction score
Ok thanks I will try and load the boot.img on to my SD and see whats up with that.

jbg25

Reaction score
I ran across this myself. And so have started the following procedure to prevent from ever happening again.

Whenever I install a ROM (but required when going from GB to ICS or ICS to GB)... I do the following assuming the Dev did not provide the boot.img seperately

1. After downloading the ROM I am going to flash open archive the .zip with a program like 7zip and open...kernel->PH98IMG.zip
2. copy boot.img to the same folder you have fastboot.exe
3. pull battery from phone->replace->hold vol - then hold power for 2 sec and release power only until boot
4. when you see hboot -> plug in USB to your computer
5. open command prompt (start menu->run->"cmd" hit enter
6. open the folder by typing "cd C:the/location/of/your/file" hit enter
7. type "fastboot flash boot boot.img" hit enter
8. if you have not already flashed the ROM...boot to recover and do so now.

OP
T

Tom357

Reaction score
I ran across this myself. And so have started the following procedure to prevent from ever happening again.

Whenever I install a ROM (but required when going from GB to ICS or ICS to GB)... I do the following assuming the Dev did not provide the boot.img seperately

1. After downloading the ROM I am going to flash open archive the .zip with a program like 7zip and open...kernel->PH98IMG.zip
2. copy boot.img to the same folder you have fastboot.exe
3. pull battery from phone->replace->hold vol - then hold power for 2 sec and release power only until boot
4. when you see hboot -> plug in USB to your computer
5. open command prompt (start menu->run->"cmd" hit enter
6. open the folder by typing "cd C:the/location/of/your/file" hit enter
7. type "fastboot flash boot boot.img" hit enter
8. if you have not already flashed the ROM...boot to recover and do so now.
That would work if I could get into HBOOT but I cant the phone simply just flickers the htc logo once and stays frozen.

jbg25

Reaction score
ok...I only said that because you said you were holding vol up...you need to hold vol down...and it only works after battery pull.

OP
T

Tom357

Reaction score
ok...I only said that because you said you were holding vol up...you need to hold vol down...and it only works after battery pull.
Wow I feel like such a dumbass lol thank you now I just have to get load the .img on the phone and i should be fine

OP
T

Tom357

Reaction score
Ok I flashed the boot.img and everything looks functional thank you for the help guys I really appreaciate it.