Which Verizon phone?

scott craft

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to the HTC One M8 from an LG G2. I'm finding the M8 doesn't do as well as my G2 did for reception/signal strength. I'm within my return period so I'm considering switching to a different phone. I'm considering the LG G3, Samsung GS5 and Iphone 6. Which of the three would you recommend strictly on a reception basis? I prefer the look and feel of the G3 and iphone 6 over the Samsung, but more important is holding a signal.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
If you value reception above all else you need to look at Motorola phones. Samsung has the worst reception of all major manufacturers.

From the phones you listed considering reception it's between LG g3 and iPhone. When you compare the features, it's really not a competition as LG trumps new iPhones in all categories.

Funnies thing is I would chose g2 over g3 right now as former has better battery life and advanced calling enabled on Verizon.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Kinda hard to rate reception too because of whatever specific areas you visit.

I'm with Xeene though, Samsung radios are pretty weak and I'm getting frustrated with my s4 cause of it. Out of those 3 choices I'd put my money on the iPhone having the best reception, but you'd have to test all 3 in the areas you frequent to find out.

OP
S

scott craft

Reaction score
I ended up with the iPhone 6. This is my first iPhone, so it should be an interesting experience. So far I haven't noticed this phone losing service in my house which is more than I could say for the M8.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I ended up with the iPhone 6. This is my first iPhone, so it should be an interesting experience. So far I haven't noticed this phone losing service in my house which is more than I could say for the M8.
Good choice, can't really go wrong with any of the top devices anyway.

Got a pair of iPhone 6 phones in the family now and have been messing around with one that hasn't been activated yet. Here are my impressions:

1. It's just like any other iPhone before it. Same OS, basically same features, and little additions here and there but it's basically the exact same phone everyone is familiar with.
2. Build quality is excellent. I'm very surprised at how slim and light the device is, especially compared to my s4. It is a very slippery device though and with how slim it is, hard to really maneuver in the hand, could just be me though.
3. Looking at the screen compared to my s4, it doesn't seem that much smaller to be honest.
4. The fingerprint scanner is something I wish that Android devices got right. It really is pretty quick and painless on the iPhone.
5.It doesn't feel like a real significant upgrade from the 4s (which these new iPhones are replacing in my family).

All that being said it's a solid device. The bigger screen is a welcomed change in my book, but is definitely feels alot different than iPhones of the past due to its size. Even with this bigger screen and pretty nice features, I still wouldn't switch though, iTunes is a royal pain in the butt to use and would miss the customization of Android.

OP
S

scott craft

Reaction score
Good choice, can't really go wrong with any of the top devices anyway.

Got a pair of iPhone 6 phones in the family now and have been messing around with one that hasn't been activated yet. Here are my impressions:

1. It's just like any other iPhone before it. Same OS, basically same features, and little additions here and there but it's basically the exact same phone everyone is familiar with.
2. Build quality is excellent. I'm very surprised at how slim and light the device is, especially compared to my s4. It is a very slippery device though and with how slim it is, hard to really maneuver in the hand, could just be me though.
3. Looking at the screen compared to my s4, it doesn't seem that much smaller to be honest.
4. The fingerprint scanner is something I wish that Android devices got right. It really is pretty quick and painless on the iPhone.
5.It doesn't feel like a real significant upgrade from the 4s (which these new iPhones are replacing in my family).

All that being said it's a solid device. The bigger screen is a welcomed change in my book, but is definitely feels alot different than iPhones of the past due to its size. Even with this bigger screen and pretty nice features, I still wouldn't switch though, iTunes is a royal pain in the butt to use and would miss the customization of Android.

I'm loving the fingerprint scanner! It's so fast and convenient. I really like the feel of this phone with the size and weight. The M8 was nice, but it was a little heavier and taller than I liked. Setting this phone up was quite different than the android and windows phones I'm used to, but there is a lot of attention to detail in the operating system. I'm anxious to see how the battery does today at work.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Definitely lighter especially compared to M8 ..we had both sides by side at the office..my friends are reporting good battery so far ...camera pics were crisp ..buddy had some of baseball game over weekend..

M8 tap'd

OP
S

scott craft

Reaction score
My battery is about 20% more than my M8 was at this time yesterday. The iphone seems to use less battery when idle. So far I'm pleased with this phone, but I still have a lot to learn about the finer points of it. It sure is a good time to be a smartphone user with all the great phones we have to choose from.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Boy how far we have come. About 2 or 3 years ago we would have to close down this thread because there would be a few android diehards who would have caused all kinds of ruckus calling those who said something nice about apple a bunch of names. Then we would have this back and forth between people about why one platform is great and the other sucked. The community has matured and good to see people can discuss different platforms civilly. I almost want to throw out an "android (apple) sucks" just to spark one up for old time sake ;).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2