Which ROM to try and the whole process?

Lakaduce

Reaction score
My phone has been running sluggish lately, and I'm not eligible for an upgrade until May, so I'm ready to flash a new ROM to breathe some new life into my old Droid X.

I'm looking for a place that compares features on each one, with screenshots, to decide which may be the best for the old X.

Also, if someone can help and guide me step-by-step on what I need to do to avoid bricking the phone. I'm currently running a rooted version of GB 4.5.473.MB810.Verizon.en.US. So do I need to go back to stock Froyo to flash the ROM or can I do it with CWM bootloader?

I'm not a total newbie but this is my first ROM update so any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

leftspin

Reaction score
My phone has been running sluggish lately, and I'm not eligible for an upgrade until May, so I'm ready to flash a new ROM to breathe some new life into my old Droid X.

I'm looking for a place that compares features on each one, with screenshots, to decide which may be the best for the old X.

Also, if someone can help and guide me step-by-step on what I need to do to avoid bricking the phone. I'm currently running a rooted version of GB 4.5.473.MB810.Verizon.en.US. So do I need to go back to stock Froyo to flash the ROM or can I do it with CWM bootloader?

I'm not a total newbie but this is my first ROM update so any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

The first thing I'd do would be to SBF to the latest stock .602 Gingerbread build (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-rooted-help/100038-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html) using this SBF: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

then re root (you will need a computer), flash CWM like you normally would, and flash the ROM you've chosen.

As far as which ROM to try, I would recommend flashing several different ones and running each of them for a couple days and then decide which one you like best. My favorite ROMs are CM4DX GB, MIUI and Liquid but it all depends on your preference.

OP
L

Lakaduce

Reaction score
what would i use to re-root using the computer?

OP
L

Lakaduce

Reaction score
I found a nice tutorial on android forums "Simple Gingerbread .602 SBF and Root Process".

Everything went smoothly until flashing a ROM. I tried the cm_shadow_full-154.zip and update-cm-7.1.0-RC0-DROIDX-KANG-signed-MONSTER.zip, which was specifically designed for the droid x. On both cases it locked up at the M boot logo and wouldn't go any further so I had to SBF back to .602 and start over. I'm not sure how others that say they flash a new ROM and are back up and running in 30 minutes do it.

Even with Titanium Backup, it took several hours to restore all 200+ of my apps, so I'm holding off to when I have more time before I try another. Is there a simpler way