Which phone will last the longest?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
So, am I seeing a consensus for the gnex to be the next long lasting phone?

Sent from my OG Droid

I would say so, however it is important to remember that at this point it is obviously speculation as the phone has not been released yet. Whether it has a strong dev following (which early indications are that it will) you will at least continue to receive up to date software from Google which will always be a good thing.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Considering it's going to be the only device that vanilla ICS (lol vanilla ice cream sandwich), most likely based on the reputation of the past device (D1), it will have strong support by developers. Even if not it will surely receive up to date software as JSM said.

If it were a gamble, I'd put my money on developers strongly supporting the Nexus. If history repeats itself that is...

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Considering it's going to be the only device that vanilla ICS (lol vanilla ice cream sandwich), most likely based on the reputation of the past device (D1), it will have strong support by developers. Even if not it will surely receive up to date software as JSM said.

If it were a gamble, I'd put my money on developers strongly supporting the Nexus. If history repeats itself that is...

I agree. I have seen enough buzz about it that I would say it is a safe bet as well. Just throwing out the disclaimer because as I said we are still speculating at this point.

Sent From a Tear in the Space/Time Continuum...

TheOldFart

Reaction score
No SD card concerns me.

The single thing that concerns me about the Gnex is the lack of an SD card. While 32GB of phone memory is more than sufficient for me, there are apps that can only back up their data to the SC card. Unless these apps are changed to allow data backup via USB to a computer, I would be leery of buying a phone without SD expansion. Otherwise the Gnex sound like the closest phone to perfect at the moment.

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
The single thing that concerns me about the Gnex is the lack of an SD card. While 32GB of phone memory is more than sufficient for me, there are apps that can only back up their data to the SC card. Unless these apps are changed to allow data backup via USB to a computer, I would be leery of buying a phone without SD expansion. Otherwise the Gnex sound like the closest phone to perfect at the moment.

If I'm not mistaken (and I could be wrong) the SD card is partitioned in a way to lat a part of it stay whenever there is a full wipe, and that part is accessible via USB.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken (and I could be wrong) the SD card is partitioned in a way to lat a part of it stay whenever there is a full wipe, and that part is accessible via USB.

So you are saying that I could do a data backup to the partition, which the app would see as a SD card, and then just copy it via USB to a computer? If so, then that solves that problem. I guess we'll just have to wait and see when it is released.

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
That's my understanding based on previous phones w/out removable sd card that have been rooted

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
Seems both the Gnex and Razr have some support in the Forums, with rooting and custom rom. Which would be the better choice for longevity?