Which phone will last the longest?

baldybill

Reaction score
I got the OG Droid about several months after it came out, and it still was blowing away most of the newer phones.

Even with all the phones that have come out, it seems that many still favor the OG Droid, or at least keep it as a backup. [And it seems to me that the OG Droid is more popular now than the Samsung Nexus is]

Now that the OG Droid is considered old, I was wondering what will be the next phone to have the longevity of the OG Droid.
The Bionic?

bosshog85

Reaction score
The continuum has been going for almost a year now. Its a solid phone, considering that its been neglected of updates.

Sent from my Samsung Continuum SCH-I400 using DroidForums

bullswife98

Reaction score
I hear ya there! Still rocking the d1 but soon I'll be upgrading to the Razr, and my beloved d1 will become my backup phone. Hopefully the next phone is the Razr,(not just saying it either cuz I'm getting one.)Lol... :)

SENT FROM MY OG DROID ROOTED AND SUPERCHARGED!

billyk

Reaction score
I love the Bionic. It has a "familiar" look/feel to my beloved D1, but it's a total beast performance-wise. Everything responds on the Bionic in an instant. If you resonate with the Moto build quality of the D1, the Bionic has it in spades.

You'll pay less for the Bionic now than I did, making it a real steal. Like the D1, the Bionic has a broad accessory line-up and I believe it'll be actively supported for a long time by Moto and the Dev community. I instantly got over the D1 when the Bionic came along.

You should go get your hands on the RAZR when it's available and compare for yourself.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The OG Droid pretty much started this whole forum :)

I don't think there is going to be another phone that has so much time devoted to it from developers and users alike except for maybe one...

Considering the Galaxy will be the first phone with ICS and it will probably be the only one that will go untouched by manufacturer, I believe that would be the next best supported phone from our ROM developers and supporters. To me that's what separated the OG droid from the rest, it was left untouched by the manufacturer and left in the hands of "hackers". I believe that Google got Samsung to agree to leave it "vanilla" and that will play a huge part in support from the hacking community and I assure you we'll see some nice ROMs and mods from them here:)

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The Galaxy Nexus will be the next phone on Verizon to have the longest life. Pure Google phones always get updates to the next version of Android First. Plus they tend to receive updates the longest. For example the Nexus One will finally not be getting an update to the next version of android. The Nexus S will be receiving the update to ICS some time after the Galaxy Nexus comes out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
The Galaxy Nexus will be the next phone on Verizon to have the longest life. Pure Google phones always get updates to the next version of Android First. Plus they tend to receive updates the longest. For example the Nexus One will finally not be getting an update to the next version of android. The Nexus S will be receiving the update to ICS some time after the Galaxy Nexus comes out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

That seems to make sense on the surface,

BUT, wouldn't that mean that the G1 would be better supported right now and be a better phone than the OG Droid?

I would jump on the Galaxy Nexus bandwagon IF I thought it would not follow in the footsteps of it's predecessors...in that, as soon as Google doesn't want to update it anymore, no one wants to. At least the Droid is still updated (running Gingerbread right now on mine).

So, what do we think will be the next longevity phone?

Htown315

Reaction score
What worries me about the RAZR's shelf life is the fixed battery. I know the stocker on my OG crapped out at about 18 months. When this happens to the RAZR we'll be sol.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That seems to make sense on the surface,

BUT, wouldn't that mean that the G1 would be better supported right now and be a better phone than the OG Droid?

I would jump on the Galaxy Nexus bandwagon IF I thought it would not follow in the footsteps of it's predecessors...in that, as soon as Google doesn't want to update it anymore, no one wants to. At least the Droid is still updated (running Gingerbread right now on mine).

So, what do we think will be the next longevity phone?

Not necessarily.

The G1 may have started Android, but the Droid is what brought it to the public's attention. Because of all the attention drawn to it and how well it sold, development for it was far better supported than the G1. Now that general public is well aware of Android the attention that the Galaxy Nexus will get should make it a popular phone, at least imo.

The point of keeping the OS vanilla is so developers can support it themselves. The Droid is still a strongly supported phone and I see the same with ICS as the Nexus should be the only phone on the market with vanilla android. I don't see why it wouldn't be strongly supported and it will be supported long after it comes out. No need to wait for manufacturer modifications to updates either so the Nexus will be long supported. Look at the Galaxy S, it will get ICS as I've heard and by today's standards, that's an "old" phone.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
On top of what dezy said I would add this. The G1 was I believe on T-Mobile, where the G-Nex is going to be on VZW at first then possibly others. This means a much higher potential number of users locking into this device, if that happens I would also say that the development potential/life span should increase as well.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
On top of what dezy said I would add this. The G1 was I believe on T-Mobile, where the G-Nex is going to be on VZW at first then possibly others. This means a much higher potential number of users locking into this device, if that happens I would also say that the development potential/life span should increase as well.

+1

With the phone making it across most carriers across the US, support for the device should be strong meaning development would be strong for it as well. The G1 was a T-Mobile only device so it only got into the hands of T-Mobile customers, so it was a limited market. The same could be said about the OG Droid in its limited markets, but support for Verizon is much stronger than T-Mobile across the US. It's only been about 2 years since the OG Droid release in calendar years, but in the mobile world that seems like 20 years ago doesn't it? :p. However, the OG Droid still has a strong fan base and many refuse to "upgrade" to another device because no other device has the same support. I think the Nexus will be the device these loyal OG Droid owners will strongly consider switching too as it allows the same freedom and many developers will surely jump onto it and come up with ROMs and mods for them, heck the thing has already been rooted! If that's not a sign of strong support, then I don't know what is

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
Good points.

Yes, the galaxy nexus has been rooted, as has the razr.

Did the galaxy s come out before or after the Droid 1? If after, how long after?
(just trying to compare / judge life length)

Sent from my OG Droid

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
It came out after. Not sure of the release date though.

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
So, am I seeing a consensus for the gnex to be the next long lasting phone?

Sent from my OG Droid