Going from OG Droid to Bionic, biggest things to expect?

Erikbal

Reaction score
Hello all. I personally have a droid3 but my brother has the original droid and next month will be upgrading to the Bionic for an amazing price and I was just wondering what are the biggest differences he's going to notice? Anything negative? He loves his phone and always has and it's been a great phone to him but I think he's going to be blown away. Hardware wise my phone is pretty close to the bionic except the bionic is 4g and has more ram. Right now we don't have 4g in our area yet and won't for at least a few months so that won't be any different. I know a LOT of people who have gone from the og Droid to the 3 say that the 3 blows the og out of the water. I've never really used his phone and this is my first smart phone so I have nothing to compare it to. I definitely LOVE this phone though and it blows my friends LG ally out of the water. Just wondering if any of you went from the og droid or another older phone to the bionic and what impressed you the most and what are the biggest and most noticeable benefits/differences you've noticed. Thanks guys!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

illmatic636

Reaction score
It kinda turns me off that the Bionic doesn't have a SVDO chip in it. On 3G you can not do voice and data at the same time. Only on 4G or wifi. Only the Thinderbolt & Rezoundhas this ability(Chip). That alone has cause me to hold off for now until Motorola get with the program. HTC has figured out the radio issue, get with it MOTO.
I know you wanted the pros, but this is important to know.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
All things considered, the Bionic is a winner. Sure you'll find the network drops is the biggest issue on folks mind at this time. I am am starting to come to the conclusion that some of that issue may be a Verizon LTE infrastructure issue, or a combination of that and maybe phone firmware. I previously owned an OG which I loved, but the Bionic is awesome in comparison. Enjoy the phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
It kinda turns me off that the Bionic doesn't have a SVDO chip in it. On 3G you can not do voice and data at the same time. Only on 4G or wifi. Only the Thinderbolt & Rezoundhas this ability(Chip). That alone has cause me to hold off for now until Motorola get with the program. HTC has figured out the radio issue, get with it MOTO.
I know you wanted the pros, but this is important to know.

Ha, I didn't even know anyone used simultaneous voice and data. :p It's not a negative to me. I didn't even know my DX lacked it, till the 'bolt cane out. I always assumed my phone did it too. So not a big deal to me there.

To answer the original question. First thing he's going to notice is the dual clue processor. Everyone says they can't make it freeze up like the OG. Next, probably the 4g!

He may dislike the screen, I have heard reports of that, but from what I've seen, I don't think is a big problem, depends on the eyes.

Those are probably the top things.

dpw2atox

Reaction score
First off he will notice that the Bionic is FAST, i mean really fast! He will love the 4G download speeds (assuming he has coverage) and he will love the build quality of the Bionic as well. The radios issues are greatly improved by the leaked OTA which should be out by the time he gets his Bionic.

I love my Bionic and am very glad I bought it. The data issues were almost a deal breaker but the leaked OTA fixed those for me for the most part so I can deal with them now.

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
So speed wise the Bionic is going to fly compared to his OG? I definitely love the dual core processor in my phone but like I stated earlier, I really have nothing to compare it to besides my friends ally. Which my phone is better than that in every aspect. I remember when he first got it I loved it and wanted one so bad, now that I have my D3 I couldn't imagine having anything less!

AlexSB

Reaction score
The lack of keyboard!! I went from a D2 to a TB then Bionic, and first thing I noticed was...I was using the physical keyboard less and less, and I didn't need it by the time I switched over to an all display phone

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

tcayton49

Reaction score
Going from the OG to the Bionic, the biggest thing I noticed is speed. There is no noticeable lag to me. With the OG, the redraws were getting beyond annoying, but the Bionic absolutely flies.
Also the size. I picked up my bionic a couple of days ago just to compare and I can't believe I ever used something so tiny.
I'm assuming he's prepared for the lack of physical keyboard, so that shouldn't be a shock.
The screen is visible outside which is a pleasant departure from the OG
The power button is on the opposite side. It took me a couple of days to get used to it. Some people really complained about it, but it was no big deal to me.
Did I mention the speed?

GVLBob

Reaction score
I also upgraded from the OG to the Bionic. Based on my experience, some things your brother may notice are:
  • the screen (and the phone) is much larger. I really didn't notice that so much until I picked up my OG again after using the Bionic for awhile.
  • the phone is snappier... the speed increase is very nice.
  • data drop problems once your area get upgraded to 4G. Some people have major data drop problems. I live in a strong 4G area and don't routinely leave this area, so I don't notice data drops. But apparently some or most of those who move in and out of 4G areas (or who are on the fringe of a 4G area) have some major problems. Haven't seen yet any 100% rock solid solutions yet. Haven't seem posts from people in 3G only areas and whether they do or don't have data drop issues, so can't anticipate what he will initially experience.
  • to me, the display seems very sharp, but YMMV. But it is definitely easier to read in the sunlight. That was a big improvement from the OG.
  • lots more memory, which makes app management a thing of the past (at least for me so far).

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far guys. Yeah he doesn't even use his keyboard at all anymore on his phone so the no keyboard thing doesn't bother him at all. We went to Verizon a couple weeks ago and compared his phone size wise to the Bionic and it's definitely bigger but it's a good thing to him, especially the screen. It's funny how for the longest time the smaller the phone the better but now with smart phones they keep getting bigger and bigger. I know after using my friends ally it really makes me appreciate my screen and the size of it, his seems tiny compared to mine!

bluezdawg

Reaction score
As far as what to expect, here is a list that I found on another forum stating what should be fixed in an upcoming ota update (have seen a similar list on this forum, just could not find it).

“Official” DROID Bionic Bug List: Fix Coming in November, Incapable of 8-device Hotspot, 4G/3G Issues and More – Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Keep in mind that the priorities etc may have changed, but this will at least give you an idea. I would not panic about what you see as folks see these issues to varying degrees. You will typically find a laundry list of these things for updates to different phones when there are issues and updates. You kinda gotta filter out the rants people have on this site when they are frustrated (yours truly included ;-) but that's the beauty of a good open forum.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
My OG Droid was unrooted so one of the first things was the speed of the processor. I live in San Diego so 4Glte is generally accessible. Extremely fast. I use the word "generally" because it depends on where I am. I don't seem to be having the data drop problem that others have.

I suggest getting Verizon's extended battery as it adds far less to the thickness than the Seidio extended battery for the OG Droid.

Oh yes, until the update, don't move any of the apps to the "Media Area." For some reason they disappear.

marleyinoc

Reaction score
the bionic is an awesome phone. even stock blows the og out of the water. add an aftermarket launcher or custom rom and your bro will flip out.

B

bens42608

Going from the OG to the Bionic, the biggest thing I noticed is speed. There is no noticeable lag to me. With the OG, the redraws were getting beyond annoying, but the Bionic absolutely flies.
Also the size. I picked up my bionic a couple of days ago just to compare and I can't believe I ever used something so tiny.
I'm assuming he's prepared for the lack of physical keyboard, so that shouldn't be a shock.
The screen is visible outside which is a pleasant departure from the OG
The power button is on the opposite side. It took me a couple of days to get used to it. Some people really complained about it, but it was no big deal to me.
Did I mention the speed?

+1

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys I appreciate the comments!