Which keyboard do you use?

dolfanpete

Reaction score
I have a rooted d1 and use the stock keyboard. I guess it's okay, I have learned to get used to it considering I went with the Droid 1 because of the physical keyboard ( which I don't even use anymore ) but I have some issues and was wondering if there are some much better keyboards out there. I'm looking for one that might have a .com as a key shortcut. I guess that is my biggest gripe. Also one that has keys that are a little bigger. The landscape mode is ok but the vertical mode is impossible for me to type. So with that said I'd like to know which keyboard you favor. Thanks in advance

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

dbst

Reaction score
IMO the best keyboard is Swype but you need to be signed up for the beta to get it, I think the best market keyboard is SwiftKey

Dugall12

Reaction score
I've tried a bunch of them on my D1 running CM 6.1 including Better Keyboard and Swift Key and for my money Smart Keyboard Pro is tops. Its highly customizable, very snappy, supports long presses, different languages, adjustable keyboard size, arrow buttons, and themes. I'm using the Gingerbread theme found on their forums and its pretty nice. I also like the built in HTC theme. I suggest you check it out, you shouldn't be disappointed.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I've used quite a few keyboards - all the popular ones blah blah. I've settled on Smart Keyboard Pro. I love the spaced out key design and it doesn't lag like many others. Love how you can hold a key down to get other keyboard options rather than switching like stock.

Beka27

Reaction score
I have an X and I've been using the Swype keyboard since day one. It's funny, I find the landscape screen TOO large of a keyboard, the portrait screen is just right for me. I'm a woman but I don't even have especially small hands. (I've actually been locking my rotate for much of the day because I'm preferring portrait.)

So I gather the D1 doesn't have the Swype option? Have you signed up for the Beta program? They were sending out emails last week I believe?

Droidfish

Reaction score
I also like smart keyboard pro, for some reason I can type crazy fast on it and I like the skins that it comes with. I also like how you can shorten or lengthen how the duration of your long press for other keyboard options.

I liked swype but I never found myself getting into a groove and just flying with it.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've used all of the ones that are available as 3rd party apps. However, I now use the Gingerbread keyboard. It works well and I love the new "shadow" keys.

dr3wv4n3

Reaction score
I missed the boat on registering for Swype. I used the on-screen stock keyboard in horizontal mode for my fat fingers. Its just easier for me than the physical keyboard.

travisn000

Reaction score
IMO the best keyboard is Swype but you need to be signed up for the beta to get it, I think the best market keyboard is SwiftKey

I use Ultimate Keyboard... It supports optional swype style entry, but has better prediction / correction and can be customized very extensively (show/hide number row, arrow keys, toolbar; customize height of keys, etc)

I also purchased SwiftKey awhile back, but had constant Force Close issues with recent "updates"... I haven't tested the most latest update as I have been happy with Ultimate Keyboard.

gsDroid

Reaction score
I always come back to swype because of the edit screen which includes all the cursor controls. Page up/down, home/end, del/backspace, left, right, up, down, etc. I have trouble getting the cursor to the right place to make an edit without them. Swype from the swype key to the sym key to bring it up.

travisn000

Reaction score
I always come back to swype because of the edit screen which includes all the cursor controls. Page up/down, home/end, del/backspace, left, right, up, down, etc. I have trouble getting the cursor to the right place to make an edit without them. Swype from the swype key to the sym key to bring it up.

...not to beat a dead horse, but this is the same reason I use Ultra Keyboard (I misnamed it "Ultimate" in my previous post). With Ultra Keyboard you can have the arrow keys display below the regular keyboard and not have to change the keyboard display to access them. It even allows you to adjust the size of the row of arrow keys indepenent of the rest of the keyboard... I have it set up so that the keyboard keys are very short, are always visible, and do not use up alot of extra screen real estate.

Ultra keyboard also uses a horizontal bar for predictive/corrective text and has a dropdown for additional options. I often found the vertical list in swype would block the text I was entering and frequently didn't have the word I was looking for. With ultra keyboard the dropdown with additional words almost always has the correct word.

Ultra Keyboard also has the OP's requested .com button when entering URLs in the browser (and back-slash key), and supports long press for other punctuation, etc

There is a review and a youTube review here (..not mine):

http://gigaom.com/mobile/video-ultra-keyboard-for-android/

[video=youtube;91MCXLGR7dc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91MCXLGR7dc[/video]

..I'll see if I can pull a few screen shots from my setup to post so you can see the arrow keys, etc.
;D

Last edited:

vthokies1996

Reaction score
I missed the boat on registering for Swype. I used the on-screen stock keyboard in horizontal mode for my fat fingers. Its just easier for me than the physical keyboard.

Try registering again. I registered probably in September or October and last weekend I received an email from Swype inviting me to join the beta. It took awhile but at least I'm in now....officially.

I do agree, with those that have said Swype is the best. I don't know if I could ever go back to another keyboard. Before that I was using an HTC IME keyboard on my Droid.

Beka27

Reaction score
I can't not swype now. It feels tedious when I have to tap out each letter for a word that it doesn't recognize.