Which browser are you using?

D._Manley

Reaction score
I'm messing with this one also and I like it too.

>"<
Same engine as Baidu Browser - I like & use both. With Baidu you can add to speed dial with a single click but the interface is not quite as simplistic as CM.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
So I haven't gotten my Turbo yet, but I did extensive testing last year with my Note 3 testing out all the browsers, and Chrome was by far the best in everything. Definitely the fastest, it's amazing how much of a difference what browser it is makes. And if you use Chrome on your PC it's even better, though admittedly I use Firefox there :X

I'll do similar tests with Firefox and Chrome when I get it and see what happens!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I haven't done extensive testing but IMO Chrome in the phone is a buggy and slow piece of junk. Folks who make and tweak ROMs hate it. I use Chrome and FF on PC but I'm done with Chrome Phone for awhile...

TapaTurbo

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
I recently switch to the CM browser, and what a difference it is from chrome. cm is sooooo much faster

Sent from Droid Turbo using Tapatalk
After reading this post, I decided to try cm. I'm a die hard chrome fan, but I will be using this for most of my mobile browsing. Super fast, does what I need, so far.

✋ Sent from my Droid Turbo with Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since most of my web browsing is simply opening links from threads, social media, etc I started using Flynx for that task, the stock Android browser for non link web browsing. I just can't get along with Chrome. Too glitchy.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I haven't done extensive testing but IMO Chrome in the phone is a buggy and slow piece of junk. Folks who make and tweak ROMs hate it. I use Chrome and FF on PC but I'm done with Chrome Phone for awhile...

TapaTurbo

I'll definitely be doing the same tests, cause like I said this was on the Note 3. Chrome far exceeded them all. They're actually all buggy in one way or another to be honest. I used each browser for 1 1/2 to 2 weeks, and at the time was like 7 or 8 browsers (10 at most, I forget), even having two browsers open at once and loading the exact same page seconds after the other, also tried with closing the other browser immediately before etc. Speedtest.net, everything. Chrome won in every single regard. The only thing I didn't like best was the interface, which is subjective; but when it came to performance I didn't even have to think about it.

I don't see too many people on ROMs complaining any more about it than other browsers, but I wouldn't be surprised if that factors in somehow, especially if it affects the antenna.

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Just tried CM as well, love it. I was always a Dolphin fan, but CM loads so quickly and handles everything I throw at it. Chrome on my Turbo has always had problems loading pages at random times, just sitting there with a white screen until I close it and try again. Give CM a shot.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'll have to give CM a try. I miss the stock browser on my S3, it was always faster than Chrome, Dolphin, Firefox & Opera (my main go-to browsers over the past few years) When I got my S5, Chrome was the default browser and many folks have reported having issues with it (myself included) websites hanging, slow load times etc. Last summer I read about a way to boost the memory being allocated to Chrome, which helped significantly.

And here's the link

chrome://flags/#max-tiles-for-interest-area

you'll want to copy & paste into your address bar while Chrome is open. There are a number of internal changes you can make, just be extremely careful with what you change, & write down your original settings before making any changes. (I'm not responsible for any changes that may screw up your device) after the page comes up, change the memory allocation to 512, default is set at 128.
BAEtZVi.jpg

(You'll need to restart Chrome to notice any changes made)
This made a significant difference for me, but others not quite as much. (It will definitely make a big difference on older devices running Chrome)
I still alternate between Chrome & Dolphin on my S5, but I look forward to giving CM a try. Thanks guys!

BTW: this little hack works on ANY device running Chrome.

S5 tap'n

Last edited:

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
After all the CM recommendations I downloaded it as well. Will see how it goes, but my first impression is it's very fast. Chrome has been my go to, but we'll see if that remains the same in the coming weeks.

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
OK. I used CM a fair bit this afternoon instead of Chrome while doing some research. It remains fast. However, I think it comes at a cost. 1) Phone temp was much higher than normal. I assume it was using more of the processor to render the pages faster. 2) As a result of #1 my battery usage for CM appears to be higher than Chrome typically is. Not a huge deal for either, but just an observation. You may find this is an acceptable tradeoff for faster performance. I assumed that the faster performance would be due to better, more refined software rather than pushing the hardware. Still going to use it as my daily 'driver' for now.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
That's too bad, I was hoping since Chrome was stock it'd be even more reliable, but it sounds like it's the opposite with this phone :X

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
That's too bad, I was hoping since Chrome was stock it'd be even more reliable, but it sounds like it's the opposite with this phone :X
I haven't found Chrome to be unreliable. Just slower at page loads sometimes. Other times it's just fine. I also like that you can set Chrome to use less data when browsing.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I downloaded CM a couple hours ago and have been extremely pleased with it so far. I like that it was able to transfer my Chrome bookmarks and after going in and adjusting all the various settings, I'm pretty impressed so far. Nothing is hanging and there have been no webpage compatibility issues. All news videos play perfectly on the page and I haven't noticed any temperature issues as reported by others. Looking forward to seeing how this browser works long term, but so far so good.
Thanks @DESERPENTOR for the original suggestion.

S5 tap'n