Where would android be NOW??

jimmydene84

Reaction score
A thought I had earlier...

What if the most popular android phones (droid 1, nexus 1...) had released BEFORE the iphone??

Would we have dual core phones??...would bootloaders be cracked by now? The possibilities are endless...

What are your thoughts??....

cpjr

Reaction score
It wouldnt have changed anything hardware wise, IMO, the iphone pushed the limits and was one of the biggest reasons I think we have seen such a huge jump in hardware in the past few years. People may not agree with Apple and their practices and tight hold on the software, but as far as hardware, the iphone is a beautiful device.

Now, as far as software....we would probably have much better quality apps out on the market than we do :(

The appstore being the first of its kind sorta soaked up all the "resources" if you will.

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
Here's a better one:

If Android was (largely) exclusive to ATT (it's essentially exclusive to VZW now) and iOS was on VZW, how long would Android have lasted?

cpjr

Reaction score
Here's a better one:

If Android was (largely) exclusive to ATT (it's essentially exclusive to VZW now) and iOS was on VZW, how long would Android have lasted?

Essentially exclusive to VZW, how do you figure??

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
Here's a better one:

Essentially exclusive to VZW, how do you figure??

I suppose it's opinion, but the high-quality, very popular Android devices are on VZW.

Yes, there are singular exceptions.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I believe the iphone started it all!!
Really? Correct me if I am wrong, but werent there BlackBerries, Windows Mobile and Palm devices well before Apple released the iPhone?

I will give you that Apple upped the ante with the iPhone...but no way did they start anything as far as "smartphone/PDA phones are concerned....:)

estafusisx

Reaction score
Really? Correct me if I am wrong, but werent there BlackBerries, Windows Mobile and Palm devices well before Apple released the iPhone?

I will give you that Apple upped the ante with the iPhone...but no way did they start anything as far as "smartphone/PDA phones are concerned....:)

Im pretty sure palm hit just a little before android, making it well after the iphone, but other than that the iphone was the first touchscreen smartphone (at least that was worth a crap)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
iPhone didn't start it, but like it or not it changed the game for the better.

billyidle

Reaction score

Im pretty sure palm hit just a little before android, making it well after the iphone, but other than that the iphone was the first touchscreen smartphone (at least that was worth a crap)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

You're pretty wrong by a pretty large amount of time. Handspring's Treo outdates the iphone by yeeears

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
iPhone made smartphones mainstream, that's pretty much the only reason why I'm thankful for the iPhone.

Without iOS there would be no Android, or this barrage of smartphones out today:)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
iPhone made smartphones mainstream, that's pretty much the only reason why I'm thankful for the iPhone.

Without iOS there would be no Android, or this barrage of smartphones out today:)

exactly.

iPhone didn't invent the smartphone world... it was there well before... but it changed the direction to what it is today. It forced innovation, and for that I too am thankful.

wil318466

Reaction score
Not sure where you guys are getting these comparisons. I think they are pretty much all incorrect.

The real jump in hardware happened when so many hardware makers decided to carry Android OS. Since they didn't have much/any difference in OS's, they had to differentiate themselves by making better hardware. This is what made the race in hardware go into overdrive.

The only way to stand out right now is by making the best hardware. Every person looks at every Android device in the same light as far as OS goes (mostly, anyway) but every person looks at each device completely different in hardware. They figure out what they want/need in terms of hardware THEN pick out which one they want.

This is also the reason why Motorola mobility is looking to develop their own OS. They see the writing on the wall, and they know it's a road they don't want to go down. Essentially they will be racing to create better and better hardware with paper thin profit margins in a very crowded Android OS market. Smart to recognize this, but nearly impossible to create a viable alternative.