Where is Google Maps navigation shortcut?

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
After kit Kat installed only Google maps shortcut remained? I do like the directions widget that let's you make a bunch of frequently bused directions widgets

Note :Title should say Google typo that android forums let me edit anybody know how to edit a title of a thread with the app?

doogald

Reaction score
It was removed with the update. You'll have to either open maps or "OK Google Now, navigate to ..." to start navigation.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware, navigate arrow was removed a while back with one of the maps updates.

doogald

Reaction score
As far as I'm aware, navigate arrow was removed a while back with one of the maps updates.

It was on most phones, but it was on the Droids until KitKat. It was actually pretty handy. I'm not sure why Google removed it.

Reiles

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I'm not sure what widget you guys are referencing. The Google Maps Navigation button I use is still there in Widgets. You enter an address and name of location and it creates a quick launch button you can stick on your home screen. I have about 12 buttons stacked for quick access.

Is this what your looking for? I am on KitKat as of two days ago.
Screenshot_2014-01-16-07-54-02.pngScreenshot_2014-01-16-07-54-47.png

EDIT: Google Maps Version : 7.5.0

Olhonda

Reaction score
ForumRunner_20140116_065422.png

I still have it.

Here's the deal.

1. Go the the apps manager from the settings menu. Find maps. Delete cache & data. Stop process. Uninstall updates & replace with factory.

2. Your navigation icon is really just a shortcut. It will be in the menu. Drag it to your home screen.

3. Reinstall maps from the play store. The shortcut will disappear from the menu again but should be pinned to your home screen.

Keep in mind if you delete it you'll have to go through this process again to get it back.

doogald

Reaction score
I'm not sure what widget you guys are referencing.

Right, as the guy above this post said, it's not a widget - the phone with 4.2.2 had a shortcut to Navigation (which just opened Maps in navigation mode, saving you some taps.) The icon was removed with the KK update.

Olhonda

Reaction score
Right, but you can get it back and it will still link to the navigation section in the current version of maps.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Useful workaround. Is there a feedback to Google we can ask to have it put back in a future rev?

Olhonda

Reaction score
Possibly if someone here has any juice with someone at Google. I sure don't.

JDH

Reaction score
I lost the blue arrow when we went from ICS to JB but still have it when I use the navigation car dock.
4.1.2 with latest ota

The111

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SGS4 GPe
The navigation "activity" still exists within the source code. You simply need the means to create a shortcut that calls that activity, since that shortcut no longer exists in the drawer by default. Here's one very easy way:

1) Install Nova Launcher (free version is fine). You don't even need to USE the launcher. Stick with your normal launcher.
2) Add an "activity" widget to your home screen (Nova made these available to you). When setting it up you choose Maps > Navigation
3) Enjoy your new (old) shortcut, and feel free to uninstall Nova Launcher if you don't want it. :)