Navigation map package?

valley_man0505

Reaction score
I use Google Navigator quite frequently. However, I oftentimes get into some remote areas where I lose 3G. Once this happens, I lose the maps and Navigator will no longer work. Even though it still has a GPS signal, it can not tell me where to go since maps can't be accessed with no 3G.

Is there some type of app that can put maps directly onto the phone? Similar to what a stand-alone GPS has?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I use Google Navigator quite frequently. However, I oftentimes get into some remote areas where I lose 3G. Once this happens, I lose the maps and Navigator will no longer work. Even though it still has a GPS signal, it can not tell me where to go since maps can't be accessed with no 3G.

Is there some type of app that can put maps directly onto the phone? Similar to what a stand-alone GPS has?

Navigon does and I think Co-Pilot does too.

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
Hang on....when I was driving through W. VA earlier this year, I lost all signal, but my route was pre-cached so I still had my route information. Were you using a pre-planned route where you were heading to a destination, or just the navigation to following along with where you were traveling?

OP
V

valley_man0505

Reaction score
No, my routes were not planned. In fact, most of the times that I use navigator is when I'm going somewhere I wasn't planning to go

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
I'm right there with you. Maybe try using the cache feature anyways. I'm not sure how far and how much it does cache to your phone, but depending on how far you are driving, it may be enough to tide you over if it's around town or what not.

OP
V

valley_man0505

Reaction score
Wow. Looked at navigon and copilot on the market. Based on the horrible reviews, I don't think I want to take the chance on either of those

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wow. Looked at navigon and copilot on the market. Based on the horrible reviews, I don't think I want to take the chance on either of those

The bad reviews are from one of the following: 1) The app was not compatible with the leaked versions of GB and they would not offer service if you didn't use the OS for which it was built. Once Ginger Bread was released the developers updated the app. 2) User error.

I've been using this app since it first became available and it's great. The only issue I ever had was when I ran a rom built off of the leaked GB. I'm now on the Bionic with a non-leaked GB rom and Navigon runs great. The thing I like about it is that it built off the same map database as Garmin.

Oh, and the same thing goes for Co-Pilot. It works great on the Bionic. It worked great on Froyo roms on my Droid1, but would not work with roms built off the leaked GB.