Where are ringtones stored

mikecox

Reaction score
I stalled Zedge ringtones then uninstalled Zedge, to save space; as recommended by another user. The Zedge ringtones are in the Zedge folder but I can't access them from the default Text message Settings app. All the pathetic default sounds are listed but the ones in the Zedge folder are not.

Where are the default ringtones stored? I was thinking I could move the Zedge ringtones there so they might show up on the list with the default "sounds".

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I made a "ringtones" and "notifications" folder and the system can tell the difference. I usually download from zedge on my computer and then transfer the files onto my phone so I'm not exactly sure where the zedge folder would be. Check sdcard > android > data. It might be there as apps like apex use that folder to store data.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
Thanks for responding.

I made a "ringtones" and "notifications" folder and the system can tell the difference.

I'll try that and see what happens. But I'm still curious about where the default "notifications" and "ringtones" files are stored. I"d like to get them all together in one or two places, instead of scattered.

I'm not exactly sure where the zedge folder would be. Check sdcard > android > data. It might be there as apps like apex use that folder to store data.
MIne is in "Internal Storage/zedge/ringtones". I think I'll try an move the "ringtones" folder to the "Internal storage" folder and see what happens.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Thanks for responding.

I'll try that and see what happens. But I'm still curious about where the default "notifications" and "ringtones" files are stored. I"d like to get them all together in one or two places, instead of scattered.

MIne is in "Internal Storage/zedge/ringtones". I think I'll try an move the "ringtones" folder to the "Internal storage" folder and see what happens.

/Ringtones and /Notifications on the sdcard are where they should be for custom ringtones/notifications to be recognized.

The stock ringtones and notifications are actually on the system partition, /system/media/audio/*folders* which you can't touch without root.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
/Ringtones and /Notifications on the sdcard are where they should be for custom ringtones/notifications to be recognized.
My phone, unfortunately, does not sport an sdcard.

The stock ringtones and notifications are actually on the system partition, /system/media/audio/*folders* which you can't touch without root.
Yes, I was afraid of that. :angry: So what are my options? How do I get my own ringtones into my phone can see them and put them on the list of ringtones in the "sounds" settings list?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
My phone, unfortunately, does not sport an sdcard.

Yes, I was afraid of that. :angry: So what are my options? How do I get my own ringtones into my phone can see them and put them on the list of ringtones in the "sounds" settings list?

The Gnex still has internal storage you can access with a simple file manager. Just make a folder named media and inside of that folder make some more folders, ringtones, notifications then drop the mp3 files in the according folders. They should then show up along side of your stock ones in the sounds menu :cool-b:

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
The Gnex still has internal storage you can access with a simple file manager.
Yes, I am able to do that by plugging it into my desktop and accessing the "Galaxy Nexus/Internal storage"Nexus drive.

Just make a folder named media and inside of that folder make some more folders, ringtones, notifications then drop the mp3 files in the according folders. They should then show up along side of your stock ones in the sounds menu
Sounds good, I will let you know how it works out. Thanks

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
If it's not one thing it's another

Yesterday I added a "Ringtone" folder to the Internal Storage folder.

Just now I renamed it: "Media", then opened it to create "Ringtones" and "Notifications" folders, only to find the F8 option greyed out :angry:

I shut the phone down and restarted it, entered my password, and tried again, with the same results!

Can't figure why it let me add a folder yesterday and is not letting me to it today; but lets me rename the folder I added yesterday.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Reaction score
Just make a folder named media and inside of that folder make some more folders, ringtones, notifications then drop the mp3 files in the according folders. They should then show up along side of your stock ones in the sounds menu :cool-b:
Good news! I used AirDroid to create the folders. I added the ringtones and it worked! DancingNexus I have my ringtones now! Thanks again for you help! :)