Where Are Copied Files Stored?

plinydogg

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had an Android phone before and have never encountered this issue.

When I plug the Dinc into my computer via USB and manually copy files onto it, where do they go? In other words, if I later open up a program and need to navigate to one of the files I manually copied to the Dinc, where is it?

Thanks!

Ben

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They go onto the sdcard in either the root of the card or any other folder you place them. You choose the destination. To where did you copy them?

OP
P

plinydogg

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Regarding your second suggestion, that's the odd thing: when I do a search for the files in Astro, nothing shows up but when I open, say, an image viewer or movie viewer, they're there.

Regarding where I copied them to. When I plug in the phone to my computer, it mounts them as a hard drive (the folder is named something random like "/media/33434232") but when I try to go to that folder on the device, there's nothing there! Also, I don't think I'm copying to the SD card because I know how to do that and don't have any issues.

It's very odd because the files are clearly somewhere, I just can't find out where. With programs that automatically search for files that can be opened, this isn't a problem but with those you have to point to particular files, it is.

Am I making sense?

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You are probably saving them to the internal memory. Check what size your sd card is and when you plug it in to the computer right click check properties and make sure your saving it to the sd card and not the internal.

Edit: Also when you plug into the pc it will mount 2 drives internal and SD. Astro only reads the SD not the internal.

OP
P

plinydogg

Reaction score
Thanks Doug. I think that must be it. You're correct that both drives are mounted. I didn't know that we weren't supposed to mess directly with the internal memory (although I still don't understand why I can't find files located on that drive from Astro...oh well). I'll place files only on the MicroSD slot from now on. Thanks everyone.

aorbpro

Reaction score
Copied file storage

Check out the "emmc" folder for copied files routed to the Incredible's root folders. Also an application named "AndExplorer" (free from Android Market) will search the phone's internal storage for even a partial File name.
And...
Files copied to the SD card are placed in one of the "download" folders. You will find that sometimes there may be several "download" folders, some of which are nested below an application name... a search with "Astro" will reveal all saved on the SD card.