What's the deal with........

tomthbomb

Reaction score
the mini & micro usb thingy? I don't get it. Please enlighten me oh wise ones.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
They're two different types of usb connections. MicroUSB is basically the standard on Android devices. MiniUSB is a connection more commonly found on other types of devices such as external hard drives along with a few other technologies. Both are USB, just different sized ends.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Now that I think about it, I may have answered your question incorrectly.

The S5 uses what is called USB 3.0, which looks like 2 microUSB and a smaller miniUSB connector put together. Industry standard is still USB 2.0 where the connection at the end is either mini or mico USB, microUSB in the case of Android devices. USB 3.0 is obviously a step above and offers faster transfer speeds as well as a faster charging rate.

I'm not 100% sure as I don't own an s5, but I have heard a standard USB 2.0 microUSB cable will work on the s5. You just won't get the same transfer speeds and charging rate as the USB cable that came with your device.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
That's correct Dez ...should be the same as Note 3...you can use another 2.0 USB to charge phone..

M8 tap'd

OP
tomthbomb

tomthbomb

Reaction score
Ok, thanks.

The S5 charges super fast compared to other Android phones I've had. Didn't understand why it needed two different, but side by side, USB connectors on the charging cord. Still a little unclear on that concept but willing to learn.:)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Ok, thanks.

The S5 charges super fast compared to other Android phones I've had. Didn't understand why it needed two different, but side by side, USB connectors on the charging cord. Still a little unclear on that concept but willing to learn.:)
Those two side by side connectors are what make it USB 3.0. All USB 3.0 cables are like that, to my knowledge and judging by the devices I have that support it.