what's the deal with 2nd init GB?

hockeyhead019

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Please excuse the extreme noobness, but can somebody explain this to me? What's the 2nd init for? I know what the GB kernel is (used liberty GB for a little) but what are the benefits, drawbacks etc??

Cheers!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
2nd-init is the process that allows us to have these AOSP ROMs like CM7 on our locked bootloader phones. HERE is a good explanation of what it is by the dev who brought it to the DX and as a result the D2 as well.

As far as the GB part of it. 2nd-init until now has used the froyo kernel to boot off of. The hope (I say hope because I havent tried it yet) is that with the updated kernel version we will get increased performance and battery life.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
2nd-init is the process that allows us to have these AOSP ROMs like CM7 on our locked bootloader phones. HERE is a good explanation of what it is by the dev who brought it to the DX and as a result the D2 as well.

As far as the GB part of it. 2nd-init until now has used the froyo kernel to boot off of. The hope (I say hope because I havent tried it yet) is that with the updated kernel version we will get increased performance and battery life.

Battery life is better. Its not amazing, but I would say it is atleast as good as stock, if not better.

random rom'd X

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Battery life is better. Its not amazing, but I would say it is atleast as good as stock, if not better.

random rom'd X

Awesome good to know.

I flashed the GB leak a few days ago and started missing my 2nd-init goodness. Decided to just hang out here and flash whatever I can until more make the transition. Running Apex RC3 now which I really like, but most likely am going to switch to CM74DX-GB tonight once I get home.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Awesome good to know.

I flashed the GB leak a few days ago and started missing my 2nd-init goodness. Decided to just hang out here and flash whatever I can until more make the transition. Running Apex RC3 now which I really like, but most likely am going to switch to CM74DX-GB tonight once I get home.

Its better than the Froyo kernel. Boot time is way faster, there are some added animations and battery life of course. That and the fact that you can switch between CM7 and all the GB ROMs with just wiping.

random rom'd X