What's some reasons to get xoom over ipad2?

knighthonor

Reaction score
I know Android is open source, but not sure the benefits of open source os if you not a rooter.

What are the benefits to getting xoom over ipad2. I know Iam a fanboy of android, but I am willing to look past that if there are some true benefit to getting a ipad2. What do you recommend and why?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
As with any "Which device should I get?" thread -- start with your needs/wants rather than trying to work at it backwards. The reasons that other people have for choosing one or the other don't matter. It's reasons that matter to you that are important. Polling isn't the way to determine your preferences.

I know Android is open source, but not sure the benefits of open source os if you not a rooter.
Apples and oranges. Open source and rooting aren't directly related to begin with.

UNC

Reaction score
As with any "Which device should I get?" thread -- start with your needs/wants rather than trying to work at it backwards. The reasons that other people have for choosing one or the other don't matter. It's reasons that matter to you that are important. Polling isn't the way to determine your preferences.

Apples and oranges. Open source and rooting aren't directly related to begin with.

Thank you dude, most people on this forum equate open source with hackability.. Open source has almost zero to do with anything on this forum. (Other than for the devs) iOS is NOT open source, yet it has been hacked the most.... WinMo is another non open source OS... And its also been hacked...

Open source has to do with the manufacturers getting the OS license for free, and being allowed to modify that source code to their liking... Which Google is now trying to limit....

nolanandy

Reaction score
Nailed down to 5 main reasons why do you need a tablet including size, usability, apps, wifi or not, etc. Then go to Apple store to test the ipad, then do a same for the Xoom....then give Playbook a try as well. Don't read too much into survey and people suggestions.

my 2 cents

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Flash. I never realized how many sites need it until I got and ipad and I can't access them

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Flash is a big selling point. Also expandable memory.

It's easier to use as a media device in my opinion, just drag and drop. You don't have to go through iTunes and all that.

The iPad no doubt is more polished, but i love my Xoom. I use it everyday at home and use it more than my netbook. I can hook it up to my tv via HDMI without any extra adapters and I can use a remote Desktop app (phonemypc).

It really is a great device, but it's a bit pricey. However I spent much time debating whether to get one or not and I can definitely justify spending the money on it.

timrock

Reaction score
flash
expandable memory (when available)
better cameras
no itunes

OP
knighthonor

knighthonor

Reaction score
Nailed down to 5 main reasons why do you need a tablet including size, usability, apps, wifi or not, etc. Then go to Apple store to test the ipad, then do a same for the Xoom....then give Playbook a try as well. Don't read too much into survey and people suggestions.

my 2 cents
Well I want to play games, surf the net, have access to cool apps like a nice Dj mix app. I want great media arts development, awesome secondary hardware equipment available. I want best graphics.

Also Iam a guy that like my stuff big. So I like larger screen. Which has the best visuals? Which is better at the games? Which catagories does android apps have the edge over Ios apps for some fun app time?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

UNC

Reaction score
flash
expandable memory (when available)
better cameras
no itunes

The Xooms cameras aren't better than iPad.... Go take some pictures on em at Verizon store.
I would say get the iPad, Android tablets are still finicky and most of the apps are not made for tablets... Android tabs won't be polished until they get passed Honeycomb.

Newps

Reaction score
Bought Xoom two weeks ago. Many apps not made specifically for Honeycomb but for the apps I use it doesn't matter. Not made specifically for the Xoom doesn't mean they don"t work. They work fine and look the same as on my Droid, a fact not mentioned in articles on apps. One function that works far better is the internal GPS on my wifi only model. I use my Xoom for flying and the I pad requires an external GPS. My Xoom requires no such thing, the internal GPS works great.

dmesiti

Reaction score
+ real multitaskng
+ switch easy between app
+ tabbed browsing
+ it,s not Apple :) :) :)

Sent from my MZ604 using DroidForums

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
+ real multitaskng
+ switch easy between app
+ tabbed browsing
+ it,s not Apple :) :) :)

Sent from my MZ604 using DroidForums

I'm glad you told me that. I thought multitasking was real. What am I missing?

How difficult is it to switch between apps on an iPad. You push the menu button and you just tap the app.

You can get an app with a tabbed browser. But you can't make it default.

Apple rocks dude. ;)

Maybe you're right, I haven't handled the Xoom so I really don't know but these reasons, specially the last one aren't a great reason to spend 300.00 more.