dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just pulled the trigger and ordered my Xoom Wifi on Amazon:icon_ banana:

little pricey, and I was always against tablets, but considering how much time I listen to music and watch video it makes sense to me.

Great roadtrip companion too

kennyc

Reaction score

Aren't the flash and sdcard slot somewhat broken on the Xoom?

Why do you need flash anyway? YouTube works on iPad.

Why doesn't the Xoom have facetime, a full movie editing suite, ladida and many other things the iPad has? For the premium you pay, you'd think it would least match those things AND add more. Not just have different features.

Back to the topic about it being overpriced... The iPad is the clear market leader and the elephant in the room that sets the pricing for the entire market. To be so much higher than the widely accepted leader is downright ridiculous.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Sorry but you just wrong. Flash is a primary method of delivering web content.

Tablets are not meant to be video (or audio or music) creation/editing workstations I don't know why anyone would even consider it. Dumb idea.

As far as market leader. Things have just changed. Android is the leader and the Xoom has more and better features than your so-claimed market leader which is held together with glue and double stick tape. :icon_eek:

Android is not the leader... I will bet you anything that iPad2 sells more in month one than the Xoom will total.

I am willing to bet the iPad2 outsells all other tablets combined this year...

It's funny that you say tablets aren't for editing and blah blah blah. But then you talk about flash delivering content... All the content flash delivers is either superfluous, able to be delivered via other methods (HTML5), or is just childish. (Slap Obama, win an iPad!!) Lol.

So watching flash crap is important, but actually creating web content is dumb. Ok, I get it. It's only dumb if you can't do it...

Sorry but you clearly DON'T get it.

Let's check back next spring and see where the market is.. particularly since Android is already in the lead. dancedroid

I'll say it once more-Xoom is certainly not overpriced given its market leading specs!

UNC

Reaction score
Sorry but you just wrong. Flash is a primary method of delivering web content.

Tablets are not meant to be video (or audio or music) creation/editing workstations I don't know why anyone would even consider it. Dumb idea.

As far as market leader. Things have just changed. Android is the leader and the Xoom has more and better features than your so-claimed market leader which is held together with glue and double stick tape. :icon_eek:

Android is not the leader... I will bet you anything that iPad2 sells more in month one than the Xoom will total.

I am willing to bet the iPad2 outsells all other tablets combined this year...

It's funny that you say tablets aren't for editing and blah blah blah. But then you talk about flash delivering content... All the content flash delivers is either superfluous, able to be delivered via other methods (HTML5), or is just childish. (Slap Obama, win an iPad!!) Lol.

So watching flash crap is important, but actually creating web content is dumb. Ok, I get it. It's only dumb if you can't do it...

Sorry but you clearly DON'T get it.

Let's check back next spring and see where the market is.. particularly since Android is already in the lead. dancedroid

I'll say it once more-Xoom is certainly not overpriced given its market leading specs!

Android is not in the lead by any stretch... I don't know where you got that misinformation. iPad outsold every tablet combined last year... Meaning more iOS tablets than Android, and since the Xoom is the only tablet with Honeycomb... NVM......

kennyc

Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger and ordered my Xoom Wifi on Amazon:icon_ banana:

little pricey, and I was always against tablets, but considering how much time I listen to music and watch video it makes sense to me.

Great roadtrip companion too

Congrats.

kennyc

Reaction score
Android is not in the lead by any stretch... I don't know where you got that misinformation. iPad outsold every tablet combined last year... Meaning more iOS tablets than Android, and since the Xoom is the only tablet with Honeycomb... NVM......

Unfortunately you don't even know the difference in an operating system and a device. Ah well...

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I don't think there's much reason to get upset about this. Overall Android has the most market share in the US. iOS has more of the tablet market share. At least from what I understand. Right now the Xoom is unrefined. It'll come in time. Until it's all the way refined some Android enthusiasts will prefer iOS. It's not a big deal, just personal preference.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

UNC

Reaction score

Unfortunately you don't even know the difference in an operating system and a device. Ah well...

Wow dude. Nice way to try and insult me.
We aren't talking about OS's... The thread is about Xoom pricing. So when you say market share I assume (as most logically-thinking people would) that you are talking about the market share in the Tablet category only... But since you want to be a smart-alec.... If you want to talk about OS's I am 100% sure iOS is the more popular OS when you include all devices. You see they've made this little thing called "iPod" for quite some time now... I'll go out on a limb and say close to 50% of Americans own at least one iOS product.

Again, the Xoom being marked up from the market leader was a poor strategy. It is overpriced, if it wasn't don't you think more people would've bought it? I bet Motorola is taking a bath on the Xoom right now because of their flagrant disregard of the norms in pricing. Galaxy, iPad, and RIM Playbook are all relatively the same price, then youve got the Xoom on an island.. I am willing to bet it won't even be in the top 5 selling tablets this year.

I bet all of these outset it, meaning its probably overpriced since the specs are good;
iPad 2
Galaxy 10"
RIM Playbook
Nook color
HP touch

Hell the Sony PSTablet will probably outsell it since they have already learned the lesson of pricing themselves outta the market....

The Xoom is cool tech, but to try and make a mainstream push at that price-point was foolhardy at best.

Reaction score
Keep in mind that its $70 more than a similar ipad2 but the xoom has a potential memory of infinity because of the option of expandable memory. It was stupid of motorola to release a 3g/4g version before a wifi only version but the wifi only version is comming.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

gquiring

Reaction score
I really don't understand why most think the Xoom is over priced. A 32gig 3G iPad 2 is $730. The Xoom also includes a disabled USB and microSD slot. It also has double the internal RAM, slightly higher resolution screen and better camera resolutions. It also offers a free upgrade to 4G down the road. Granted I think Moto was stupid to release the Xoom without the 4G, that's a huge inconvenience to have to give up your tablet for a week to get it upgraded.

Next week you will be able to buy a WiFi only Xoom for $600 retail. That's now the same price as the iPad 2 32gig. And the WiFi only Xoom also comes with GPS which the WiFi only iPad does not. Also I would assume after a few months retailers will probably be offering discounts on the Xoom.

Now what Moto should have done since the 4G was not ready was to release the WiFi version first. It's cheaper, more popular for the masses and would have given them more time to ready a real 4G product at launch time.

For me, I'm pretty convinced I want an iPad 2. Every friend that bought the Xoom has returned theirs. I don't know of anyone who returned an iPad 1 or 2. When I tried the Xoom the lack of dedicated apps was a disappointment and most of the Android apps would not run correctly on the Xoom. Add the keyboard lag and rotation delays and to the list and it's not ready for the general consumer. 6+ months now it might be a different story, but by then the Xoom will be old news and newer tablets will be available.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I really don't understand why most think the Xoom is over priced. A 32gig 3G iPad 2 is $730. The Xoom also includes a disabled USB and microSD slot. It also has double the internal RAM, slightly higher resolution screen and better camera resolutions. It also offers a free upgrade to 4G down the road. Granted I think Moto was stupid to release the Xoom without the 4G, that's a huge inconvenience to have to give up your tablet for a week to get it upgraded.

Next week you will be able to buy a WiFi only Xoom for $600 retail. That's now the same price as the iPad 2 32gig. And the WiFi only Xoom also comes with GPS which the WiFi only iPad does not. Also I would assume after a few months retailers will probably be offering discounts on the Xoom.

Now what Moto should have done since the 4G was not ready was to release the WiFi version first. It's cheaper, more popular for the masses and would have given them more time to ready a real 4G product at launch time.

For me, I'm pretty convinced I want an iPad 2. Every friend that bought the Xoom has returned theirs. I don't know of anyone who returned an iPad 1 or 2. When I tried the Xoom the lack of dedicated apps was a disappointment and most of the Android apps would not run correctly on the Xoom. Add the keyboard lag and rotation delays and to the list and it's not ready for the general consumer. 6+ months now it might be a different story, but by then the Xoom will be old news and newer tablets will be available.

Ok, so you want to get an iPad 2, just like most people. Which is why if you want to beat Apple you should price your tablet a good bit below theirs. It doesn't matter how much better your specs are. People see the iPad and they see all those other tablets. The return rates for these are probably pretty high. They would probably be lower if it hadn't been priced so high. They could have had an introductory price since half of the selling points weren't even functional and then raised it once they were able to start making them with everything fully working. Plus, as is the norm with Android there's going to be a lot more tablets out in 6 months so then they'll really not be able to sell very many. If you're making Android products you have to think about the fact that you have to compete with Apple and ALL the other Android products. I don't think they thought about this, or maybe they're just going to lower the price once all these other tablets come out. Apple has the luxury of only having to make a refresh once a year so people can buy and know what they have won't be out of date too quickly. Just my .02.

gquiring

Reaction score

Ok, so you want to get an iPad 2, just like most people. Which is why if you want to beat Apple you should price your tablet a good bit below theirs. It doesn't matter how much better your specs are. People see the iPad and they see all those other tablets. The return rates for these are probably pretty high. They would probably be lower if it hadn't been priced so high. They could have had an introductory price since half of the selling points weren't even functional and then raised it once they were able to start making them with everything fully working. Plus, as is the norm with Android there's going to be a lot more tablets out in 6 months so then they'll really not be able to sell very many. If you're making Android products you have to think about the fact that you have to compete with Apple and ALL the other Android products. I don't think they thought about this, or maybe they're just going to lower the price once all these other tablets come out. Apple has the luxury of only having to make a refresh once a year so people can buy and know what they have won't be out of date too quickly. Just my .02.
For me and my friends that returned the Xooms it's not price. It's the lack of a polished OS and compatible apps. I really don't care that the Xoom is $70 more than an iPad 32gig with 3G. It has more hardware to justify the cost. I just don't want an OS that has so many issues. I know it's gonna get better but I don't know how long. I know the iPad is rock solid. I would prefer to reconsider an Android tablet a year from now when HoneyComb has been properly tuned and tweaked. And this time next year the variety of Android tablets will be huge.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I can understand that, but I'm saying people will probably be more willing to stick with it and wait for the updates if the price they paid for it wasn't so high. That's just what I think though.

10roller

Reaction score
Is the zoom overpriced? For sure.
If I was a baller, and knew what I know now, I'd still get the viewsonic gtab, just maybe I wouldve grabbed it a month earlier. Custom froyo/gingerbread roms are pretty stable and offer a great experience. viewing angles are not as bad as i heard. We are waiting for a tablet specific launcher as I'm sure everybody else is also.

But for the xoom to come out in the fashion it did, just shows the rush to push this device into market. More like a beta release if anything. The hardware fragmentation results in incompatability of some apps for tegra 2 devices at the moment. And then the 4g upgrade BS....

Once honeycomb aosp and the nvidia code is released... our devices will be like, shwing!
I'm glad the xoom was the honeycomb guinea pig though. :)
O and the ipad is overpriced too. Nice hardware. Crappy software for people looking for open platform.

Last edited:

nolanandy

Reaction score

Wow dude. Nice way to try and insult me.
We aren't talking about OS's... The thread is about Xoom pricing. So when you say market share I assume (as most logically-thinking people would) that you are talking about the market share in the Tablet category only... But since you want to be a smart-alec.... If you want to talk about OS's I am 100% sure iOS is the more popular OS when you include all devices. You see they've made this little thing called "iPod" for quite some time now... I'll go out on a limb and say close to 50% of Americans own at least one iOS product.

Again, the Xoom being marked up from the market leader was a poor strategy. It is overpriced, if it wasn't don't you think more people would've bought it? I bet Motorola is taking a bath on the Xoom right now because of their flagrant disregard of the norms in pricing. Galaxy, iPad, and RIM Playbook are all relatively the same price, then youve got the Xoom on an island.. I am willing to bet it won't even be in the top 5 selling tablets this year.

I bet all of these outset it, meaning its probably overpriced since the specs are good;
iPad 2
Galaxy 10"
RIM Playbook
Nook color
HP touch

Hell the Sony PSTablet will probably outsell it since they have already learned the lesson of pricing themselves outta the market....

The Xoom is cool tech, but to try and make a mainstream push at that price-point was foolhardy at best.

Totally agree with UNC. I think Mot screwed up this time, they rushed to push out the Xoom. RIMM is taking notes, looks like the Playbook won't be out until summer now. Most members here want open software but they are not open minded. Android OS has the most market shares right now, but these phone makers (Samsung, Mot, etc) are beat up each other. They are not profitable as iPhone. Each phone makers released a new phone every 3-4 months, where Apple only release one phone a year.

Last edited: