Xoom over priced!

nolanandy

Reaction score
viewsonic gtablet has pretty close specs without comparing cell signals(since it only comes in wifi only) for much cheaper. It also has custom aosp roms already.

have you read the review on the Viewsonic tablet? most 3rd apps do not work, no flash...

Techsniffer

Reaction score
Xoom = $800 ($600 with contract)
Dual core
Larger screen and higher resolution
Front and Rear Camera
Flash content
SD card slot
4G

iPad has NONE of these things, and even the iPad 2 only has a few of them but not all

The pricepoint between the iPad 2 and the Xoom are similar as they are the only two devices similar in hardware. Of course the original iPad is half price, because its old tech that is half the worth of the Xoom.

But after some of the reviews of the iPad 2 and its problems (backlight bleed, yellow specs in the screen, massive shipping delays for online orders and other problems). I'm glad I stuck with a company that has always left me happy and not gone with Apple who is happy sticking it to the customers.

sloppy

Reaction score
I think the ipad vs xoom debate is played out. Personally I think they are two totally different machines. I am partial to the xoom as I own one but looked at both in making my decision. As for paying laptop price for a tab, That's exactly what I wanted. I haven't carried my laptop for three weeks. The flash is sweet and I like androids open platform vs apples do what we tell you platform. The biggest factor for the xoom for me is no iTunes. Drag and dropping of any file anywhere on my device was a big factor. Everyones got their opinion and mine is the ipad is nothing more than an oversized iPod as to where my xoom has replaced my laptop and can be used as a true business machine.

ILUVDROID

Reaction score
its very overpriced i had a Xoom and returned it today. sometimes it lags and apps crash.

Donnie666

Reaction score
I agree... your either an Ipad user or a xoom user. The debate is getting old as s$*t. If you want a device that does everything for you and your not technical get an Ipad. If your a person who is technical and likes to try new things go with the xoom. Its the same effin debate between mac and pc. Im in IT and would rather never use a device again than use anything by apple but does that mean crap? No, its my opinion. I have a Friend who is opasite but hes a fa@@et. Lmao

Motorola Xoom
Droid Forums app

Donnie

Techsniffer

Reaction score
its very overpriced i had a Xoom and returned it today. sometimes it lags and apps crash.

What a horrible reasoning, so you use apps that arent even optimized for tablets or the Xoom so you return it? Lets shift the focus to when the iPad came out... the apps were none existent for iPad and most didnt run well because they hadnt been optimized to do so. Now that people have an option of tablet they treat the Android tabs as if they are the problem and not the apps they are running on it.

I'm all for people enjoying their own products be it Apple or Android but if your going to fault the product fault the product itself and not the applications you choose to run on it.

I've had my Xoom since launch day and it runs great, no lag no issues at all. Sometimes the apps I use suck or dont work at all but that's because they haven't been updated yet, doesn't mean I blame the Xoom.

cplus

Reaction score
Really want the xoom tablet but at 800 can't do it... and re Ipad2 is HALF that price. While I in no way want an Apple of any kind. Just don't get why xoom would price themselves out of the mkt like that. Ok vent over

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

ok look, i'm not at all excited about what im going to say.. saddened really.

Xoom IS a rip off. I returned mine for ipad2.. i didnt really want apple either but it is truly SOO far ahead of xoom with Honety Comb. It's just not fare to charege premium prices for beta and/or substandard hardware software. The charging port port on the xoom is about enough to give you an indicator of the rest of the thing. WT heck IS that skinny fragile little piece of junk even about??! I'm an extremely OBJECTIVE technology fan and now you have my 2 cents. Save your money or get the real goods.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really have no interest in paying laptop prices for a tablet...

Now THERE is the crux of the matter, period.

No matter what device it is, tablets were supposed to be below laptops in terms of price going along with its reduced functionality when compared to a laptop.

There is no one out there (I hope) who would take up the mantle on this one, it simply isn't financially justifiable to get one when for the same price you can have a full featured laptop, in addition you can get an aircard for said laptop for $60 month in most cases, 4G as well (area dependant).

Now, I'm not downplaying either Apple's or the Xoom, but I've already made my stance known, a tablet is a luxury item at the moment, nothing more.

:)

kennyc

Reaction score
I really have no interest in paying laptop prices for a tablet...

Now THERE is the crux of the matter, period.

No matter what device it is, tablets were supposed to be below laptops in terms of price going along with its reduced functionality when compared to a laptop.

There is no one out there (I hope) who would take up the mantle on this one, it simply isn't financially justifiable to get one when for the same price you can have a full featured laptop, in addition you can get an aircard for said laptop for $60 month in most cases, 4G as well (area dependant).

Now, I'm not downplaying either Apple's or the Xoom, but I've already made my stance known, a tablet is a luxury item at the moment, nothing more.

:)

Like everything, there are tradeoffs. No laptop is as light/portable/usable as a tablet, no laptop has the battery life of a tablet.

If you need connectivity/email/web browsing the tablet is perfect. If you need to do software development then maybe not.

Luxury item or necessity?
One man's ceiling is another man's floor.

sloppy

Reaction score
I'm so over this conversation but cant help to comment. I've got an ipod dont need a 9.7 inch one. To me that is all the ipad is. My xoom on the other hand has replaced my laptop for the last 4 weeks. So to me its fine to pay laptop price for a really small laptop. I don't get the whole price issue. List is 799 so. List for your iphone or your Droid is 699.00 do you pay it. No you sign a contract to get it cheaper. I would pay 20 a month anyway so I look at it as paying 599.00. If you don't need 3g or 4g then you get the wifi version that is CHEAPER than the ipad. I just don't see the logic in the tears over the price nor do I see the ipad so far ahead of the xoom. I've got flash, I've got Widgets, I've got 4g connectivity, I will have external SD card. I don't have to buy a new tab to get the new goodies because I'm built to handle the future. bottom line they shouldn't be compared they are two different animals ipad is an entertainment piece based off its little brothers iPhone/iPod. The xoom is an all around workhorse that should really stay in a class more for professional use than entertainment toys. I truly don't see them in anywhere close to the same category.

Techsniffer

Reaction score
Really want the xoom tablet but at 800 can't do it... and re Ipad2 is HALF that price. While I in no way want an Apple of any kind. Just don't get why xoom would price themselves out of the mkt like that. Ok vent over

Xoom IS a rip off. I returned mine for ipad2.. i didnt really want apple either but it is truly SOO far ahead of xoom with Honety Comb. It's just not fare to charege premium prices for beta and/or substandard hardware software. The charging port port on the xoom is about enough to give you an indicator of the rest of the thing. WT heck IS that skinny fragile little piece of junk even about??! I'm an extremely OBJECTIVE technology fan and now you have my 2 cents. Save your money or get the real goods.

Again, horrible reasoning and a complete lack of coherent thought. You talk about beta software? Well how is using the iOS any better? An OS that STILL isnt built solely for use on their tablet, make that their second tablet.

iPad2 still costs more that the Xoom for an equally spec'd system and the hardware is mostly lesser quality or technology than the Xoom.

As for the Honeycomb version of Android OS, yes its still new, yes there are a lot of apps that need to be updated and be optimized to work on it. But that is hardly a flaw with the Xoom, its OS, or its hardware.

I played with an iPad2 for a few days when a friend went out of town and I found it to be less in pretty much every aspect that matters to me, I mean I cant understand the obsessive nature Apple fans have with staring at screens of icons that do nothing until you actually launch the program. Is it really that hard to let the programs display some information like the widgets do on Android?

As for the apps themselves I found them no better or worse than their Xoom counterparts (if they existed). But the apps are still the product of a more mature ecosystem (albeit extremely closed and overly controlled ecosystem), but again this flaw is no different than when the iPad launched last year, it took time for the apps to catch up to the product.

And lets not throw stones about problems, lets talk about the iPad2 issues? Backlight bleeding (really??? bleeding from a product this mature and from Apple?? looks like someone rushed to market before they lost their share...) or the yellow spots in the screen from the glue? I expect more from Apple and its products to let such rookie mistakes comes to pass. I've not mentioned all the problems but they are just as numerous if not more-so than the Xoom.

Don't claim to be objective when your statement reeks of new found Apple fanboyism. If you have problems be specific with what they were, I understand the Xoom isnt for everyone but with a rant like this it just sounds like Apple now controls your thoughts.

I have tried to be objective in my recent quest for a tablet and in my opinion iPad2 is the same story Apple pulls every product release (or should I say re-release). They release a product and storm the market by force with niche items that sell very well, then on any future next in line product they always drop the ball with the same product with 1 extra button rather than listen to their customer base and give them features and functionality they have been screaming for a year to get. The only Apple product you should ever buy is the very first of something, because it will likely have no other options in it's class, but dont get sucked into buying their next edition because it holds nothing truly new for you.

I'll let the talk of Apples stranglehold on their development platform, flash, and general close mindedness be another thread all together.

UNC

Reaction score

Again, horrible reasoning and a complete lack of coherent thought. You talk about beta software? Well how is using the iOS any better? An OS that STILL isnt built solely for use on their tablet, make that their second tablet.

iPad2 still costs more that the Xoom for an equally spec'd system and the hardware is mostly lesser quality or technology than the Xoom.

As for the Honeycomb version of Android OS, yes its still new, yes there are a lot of apps that need to be updated and be optimized to work on it. But that is hardly a flaw with the Xoom, its OS, or its hardware.

I played with an iPad2 for a few days when a friend went out of town and I found it to be less in pretty much every aspect that matters to me, I mean I cant understand the obsessive nature Apple fans have with staring at screens of icons that do nothing until you actually launch the program. Is it really that hard to let the programs display some information like the widgets do on Android?

As for the apps themselves I found them no better or worse than their Xoom counterparts (if they existed). But the apps are still the product of a more mature ecosystem (albeit extremely closed and overly controlled ecosystem), but again this flaw is no different than when the iPad launched last year, it took time for the apps to catch up to the product.

And lets not throw stones about problems, lets talk about the iPad2 issues? Backlight bleeding (really??? bleeding from a product this mature and from Apple?? looks like someone rushed to market before they lost their share...) or the yellow spots in the screen from the glue? I expect more from Apple and its products to let such rookie mistakes comes to pass. I've not mentioned all the problems but they are just as numerous if not more-so than the Xoom.

Don't claim to be objective when your statement reeks of new found Apple fanboyism. If you have problems be specific with what they were, I understand the Xoom isnt for everyone but with a rant like this it just sounds like Apple now controls your thoughts.

I have tried to be objective in my recent quest for a tablet and in my opinion iPad2 is the same story Apple pulls every product release (or should I say re-release). They release a product and storm the market by force with niche items that sell very well, then on any future next in line product they always drop the ball with the same product with 1 extra button rather than listen to their customer base and give them features and functionality they have been screaming for a year to get. The only Apple product you should ever buy is the very first of something, because it will likely have no other options in it's class, but dont get sucked into buying their next edition because it holds nothing truly new for you.

I'll let the talk of Apples stranglehold on their development platform, flash, and general close mindedness be another thread all together.

Sorry, native code FTW. iOS is way better than you let on. There's a reason the OS isn't different than the iPhone OS... Good coding and good design. Google had to bake up a special OS version to support tablets because <3.0 just doesn't work well.

You can't knock Apple for having a coherent strategy when it came to tablets....

Also, you say Apple just "adds a button" and "doesn't listen to what their users want"... They obviously DO listen to what the people want since they have a higher % of return buyers than any other mobile OS...

How would you know how they treat their customers anyway, you apparently hate every thing about the company.

The Xoom truly is a beta release though. SD broken, flash problems, HDMI errors and no 4g without sending it in at a future date!!! Either have everything work or don't sell it.

My brother has a Xoom and loves it though so to each his own.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
For $200 I can get a very portable 10" laptop , 10 hour battery capable to run Win 7 , Mac OSX , Ubuntu , Android or any other OS compatible with the x86 instruction set . For $800 I can get something like a 12" x201 that packs an i7 processor ( that's way more GFlops than Xoom could ever think of ) , 1TB storage space , DDR3 , 10 hours battery life etc. . I can set that in a docking station and it's capable of running Crysis 2 or CoD in full HD 3D Vision on a 50" 3D Tv or it can power 3 surround monitors in Eyefinity . I can take that with me and work in any imaginable program from high end 3D design or VM to simple internet browsing in a FULL browser . I think Xoom is nothing else than an expensive toy for spoiled kids .

kennyc

Reaction score

Well said. Thank you.

kennyc

Reaction score
Sorry, native code FTW. iOS is way better than you let on. There's a reason the OS isn't different than the iPhone OS... Good coding and good design. Google had to bake up a special OS version to support tablets because <3.0 just doesn't work well.

The Xoom truly is a beta release though. SD broken, flash problems, HDMI errors and no 4g without sending it in at a future date!!! Either have everything work or don't sell it.

My brother has a Xoom and loves it though so to each his own.

Uhhh....Android Leap Frogs Apple in Mobile OS Market Share | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

if you wanna compare apples to apples (pun intended)...no camera, no Flash, no sd card, no usb....

Sure you can cripple a device and release it or you can release a device that has all those things and is build for the future instead of being a dead end and tied to only "approved" software that a company allows to be run.