What's in 2.1 - Findings, Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also, has anyone noticed that the voice thing doesn't actually work very well? I've been told I have a very good voice for radio(no slang/draw/accent) and it still messes up a ton unless I slow down a great deal in speed.

I am going to guess you have a deep voice. I have the same issue. I think that due to some limitation - microphone, probably - the voice-to-text engine works best within a certain frequency range. Do you find it misinterprets consonants primarily?

You guessed right, I have a deep voice. It just doesn't work at all unless I slow down my speech a lot, I mean it gets the most common words right, but it will come up with crazy words sometimes that I can't even imagine how it got it from what I said.

What is weird is the voice google search works fine, I've used it for quite some time now and it makes a lot fewer mistakes than this new feature seems to make.

skidoo

Reaction score
Also, has anyone noticed that the voice thing doesn't actually work very well? I've been told I have a very good voice for radio(no slang/draw/accent) and it still messes up a ton unless I slow down a great deal in speed.

I am going to guess you have a deep voice. I have the same issue. I think that due to some limitation - microphone, probably - the voice-to-text engine works best within a certain frequency range. Do you find it misinterprets consonants primarily?

It works pretty durn well for me (excepting the lack of command-words, but that's another issue), and I have a fairly deep voice.

My biggest problem is also with vowels, but only monothongs (the vowel sounds that don't "glide" or change). It's probably my Central Virginia accent.

Words like "now" are fine, but "comma" and "bottle" can trip me up. Worst is the fact that my natural accent pronounces a lot of dipthongs ("eye" and "mine" and "stew") as if they were monothongs.

(E.g., I tend not to pull my tongue to the roof of my mouth when pronouncing long "I" sounds, flattening the burst. There's no transition in the middle of "mine;" it's just /miiine/.)

But you get used to it quick. Faster than typing. It'd be total sugar if it had a dictionary of command words.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
ESE81 has a newer kernel than 2.0.1. ...and leaked ESE53.

Not sure if that counts as a feature, but anyways...

Droid2321

Reaction score
Google earth

Can anyone help me get google earth on my unrooted Droid. I have the 2.1 update.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did thisp post with voiceth, geethz I think it picked up my lispth... just kidding. :)

So, it appears we did get a new dock look, but not the n1 dock. I was trying to figure that one out when do posted a link to that clock app, works good on 2.1

I

iraparks

after reading above i'm still confused on how to get these apps you're all speaking of, Google Earth is still not an option in the market via the phone and do we have Adobe Flash now that we have 2.1 update installed?

sorry to be dumb?

Thanks

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
after reading above i'm still confused on how to get these apps you're all speaking of, Google Earth is still not an option in the market via the phone and do we have Adobe Flash now that we have 2.1 update installed?

sorry to be dumb?

Thanks

Adobe flash will be released by adobe, not part of your update.

2.1 is required for flash to run, hence its release first. Don't even expect adobe flash until later this year.

If you updated to 2.1 already, google earth should be in your market, perform a search for it, and report back.

If you haven't updated, you are not going to see it.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you updated to 2.1 already, google earth should be in your market, perform a search for it, and report back.

If you haven't updated, you are not going to see it.

Updated my wife's droid earlier this morning. No sign of google earth in the market. (And believe me, I've looked.)

Foreverrr

Reaction score
is it possible to get a different app drawer in 2.1 without installing an app for it?

bamarammin87

Reaction score
What's the advantage of google earth, that we can't get in google maps? I have earth on my pc, and I use google maps on my droid the same as I use earth. I also cannot find it in market, and I am running 2.1.

RjNomar27

Reaction score
With ALL. The different previews everybody had re: 2.1, I didn't see any of the cool stuff after I did the manual update! Nothing w/ the camera, still have only 3 screens, program list still icons not the 3D fold over the top. Did I manually update someones joke? Looked at the phone information and all the information looks as it should, did I miss some setting somewhere? Not impressed with the update, who would've thought? Any help would be greatly apprecaited. MotoDroid btw.

I

iraparks

I noticed the OTA update last night and let it run it's course, under system it's states the rom to be "2.1 update 1" does this mean there are more updates before it's really 2.1? I saw some posts stating it should say 2.17, let me know and with this 2.1 update 1 rom I stilll can't find Google Earth under top free or searches using google, google earth etc.

Thanks again

Also what is the new icon next to the 3g signal "looks like 2 circular arrows rotating clock wise? more thanks.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
2.1 update1 is an update to the original 2.1. Not the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.