What's going on with the Droid Touchscreen?

mikes

Reaction score
Because it indirectly says something about the functionality of the phone, and if the information is false or misleading, then it can hurt us. If no one buys the phone, then support goes to crap, and we're all toast.
SRSLY?

It also says something about the functionality of the phone that it doesn't dispense espresso. But, it isn't necessary for the Droid's operation, same as drawing absolutely straight lines with your fingertip on a 4" screen.

What makes you think it's "false or misleading?" Is it a conspiracy? Are the Trilateral Commission and the Illuminati out to sabotage the Droid's success?

Here's a clue - the Droid is only one phone of 21 available which run the Android OS. The Droid is just hardware, which will be gone in about a year, when it's replaced by the next, best thing.

What kind of "support" are you expecting? If you think there's any commitment to OS versions beyond 2.1, there isn't.

rjax

Reaction score
Here's something odd I've noticed about my Droid's screen -- it's great if I'm holding it with my hand(s), but if I set it down on a table and try to use the touchscreen, it gets much less reliable. I wonder if this test is picking up on some sort of similar behavior. Anyone else see a difference in performance like me?

On a table, single clicks are fine, but if I'm scrolling down a web page in xScope for instance, sometimes the pin-zoom activates like I took my finger off the screen, even when I don't think I did. I never have this problem when hand-holding it.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Yes, I've noticed this with the Tmobile MyTouch - the touch screen is almost unusable if you put it down on a table. As far as the Droid - it gets much worse and jaggedy but not as bad as the MyTouch. My sister's iPhone does not seem to suffer from this.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Because it indirectly says something about the functionality of the phone, and if the information is false or misleading, then it can hurt us. If no one buys the phone, then support goes to crap, and we're all toast.
SRSLY?

It also says something about the functionality of the phone that it doesn't dispense espresso. But, it isn't necessary for the Droid's operation, same as drawing absolutely straight lines with your fingertip on a 4" screen.

What makes you think it's "false or misleading?" Is it a conspiracy? Are the Trilateral Commission and the Illuminati out to sabotage the Droid's success?

Here's a clue - the Droid is only one phone of 21 available which run the Android OS. The Droid is just hardware, which will be gone in about a year, when it's replaced by the next, best thing.

What kind of "support" are you expecting? If you think there's any commitment to OS versions beyond 2.1, there isn't.

Did you bother to read the post I responded to? He asked why we should care, and I offered a legitimate response.

I never claimed it was false or misleading, I said "if the information is false or misleading, then it can hurt us" which is true. I know the Droid is just hardware, but if no one buys the hardware, then Moto wont support it.

It's easy to shout and scream when you take words out of context. Here's a clue, understand what you're reading before you yell and scream and make yourself look stupid.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's something odd I've noticed about my Droid's screen -- it's great if I'm holding it with my hand(s), but if I set it down on a table and try to use the touchscreen, it gets much less reliable. I wonder if this test is picking up on some sort of similar behavior. Anyone else see a difference in performance like me?

On a table, single clicks are fine, but if I'm scrolling down a web page in xScope for instance, sometimes the pin-zoom activates like I took my finger off the screen, even when I don't think I did. I never have this problem when hand-holding it.

Nope, same thing here. My old BB Storm had the same problem but much much worse. It's because of the way the capacitive touch screen works with the electrical signals from your hand. I dont know how Apple has solved it, but I've never spent tons of time playing with an iPhone that was sitting on a table like I have with my Droid.

mikes

Reaction score
Did you bother to read the post I responded to? He asked why we should care, and I offered a legitimate response.
Are you for real? :icon_ poke: I wrote the post you responded to.
I never claimed it was false or misleading, I said "if the information is false or misleading, then it can hurt us" which is true.
And, likewise, I never said you made that claim. But, since your argument is based on that being the case, and fails completely if it isn't true, then it's reasonable to ask: What makes you think it's false or misleading? If you don't think it's false or misleading, then you must have been talking just to hear yourself talk.
I know the Droid is just hardware, but if no one buys the hardware, then Moto wont support it.
They're legally obligated to support it, regardless of how well it sells. It's called a warranty, and a printed copy is provided with every new Droid.