“What you WANT is irrelevant, what you've CHOSEN is at hand.”

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
OK...it seems likely (at least for now) that Verizon will introduce the tiered data plan BEFORE introducing any new phones. In other words, we won't be able to get the mythical Droid Fighter or Razr HD, or even Samsung Galaxy SIII in time to upgrade and keep our unlimited plans. Whether this is deliberate on the part of Verizon, or just an accident of scheduling, marketing and manufacturing, no longer matters. Those of us ready to upgrade are almost certain to be stuck with choosing between keeping unlimited or waiting for a flagship phone.
Hence my use of Spock's quote from Star Trek VI for my subject line. What we WANT (A Droid Razr HD with unlimited data plan) is (or may not be) important anymore. What's important is the choice. So given that Kobayashi Maru scenario, which would you choose? The flagship phone, or unlimited data?
I originally thought that unlimited data was more important, so I was planning to upgrade from my OG Droid X to the Razr Maxx, and keep unlimited data for 2 more years.
But it occurs to me that I rarely use more than 2 GB of data a month. I don't stream movies, since it seems impractical on 4.3 inch screen. I don't download a lot of music, or watch a Youtube videos. Mostly just use data for web searches, weather, news, games, and an occasional song or video.
SO, I've decided that a new flagship phone, with a bigger screen and cool features, is more important to me. If Verizon introduces tiered data before the SGS3 or Razr HD, I'll just wait for the newer phone.
Has anyone else decided? If so, what drove your decision?
Again, it may not happen this way, but I'm just being prepared. :happy3:

77Pat

Reaction score
I am still trying to decide. Currently I use under 2 GB of data, but when I was commuting by train (1.5 hours each way, no wifi), I was using around 4-5 GB per month (Netflix + Pandora). I could use less by buying a larger microsd card (as long as the phone has expandable storage options-although I believe with ICS google wants to streamline devices).

If the Maxx drops to $100 or the Rezound drops to $50 again, I willl probably jump on one of those. Otherwise I am going to hold out (More interested in the Asus Padfone and Sony Hayabusa than the SGS3 or Razr HD, although I have a feeling neither of them will come to Verizon.) Right now my DroidX is on it's last legs. It has been dropping data connections, the screen has a dead spot, and I think something is up with the sd card. When I try to stream with Google Music, it will say content unavailable, Pandora will skip constantly, and pictures will not save (or have heavy artifacts). I have tried different microsd cards and formatted them (no corrupt messages). Turing the phone on and off will fix the problem for a little while, but it gets annoying to do since boot up seems to take longer than it used to.

Right now when I check my Account Status it says I am eligible for an ugrade, but when viewed from the main account it says I am not eligible until mid July. Not sure which is correct. For me, Even though ICS has not rolled out to most phones, I wonder what the minimum requirements will be for JB. Right now phones with 512mb of ram or less are not seeing the upgrade to ICS officially. I wonder if JB will require 2GB, like the rumored LG phone (or if that will happen next year, with the neas that Samsung will be providing to most phones in 2013).

Last edited:

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
I am definitely gonna upgrade, even at the expense of losing my unlimited data. My Bionic is still going great though, what I am interested is a phone with a large screen, like the Note. Im not buying a phone with less than 5in screen. Im not too concerned with losing unlimited data I never took advantage of it anyway. Im just hoping this summer on Verizon isn't a bust like last summer with the obvious filler phones (X2/D3)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using the Droid Forums App

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Guess we'll see what happens, but VZ's current stance is to only remove you from unlimited if you take your upgrade with a subsidized phone. If you buy a phone outright you will not be taken off, so if you can hold out and wait til something is at what you consider a reasonable price and then jump on it or you can get something new for $299 and lose your unlimited.