what to do with OG after upgrading

angelman

Reaction score
I like so many others am waiting to upgrade my droid. Poor thing has served me well but reboots, FC, always running out of memory and general flakiness is just getting unacceptable. I am rooted and custom rommed to the hilt so I know this is most likely in part my fault.
Anyway when that day come to upgrade what does one do with the tired old droid. I was thinking of using it as a dedicated remote control maybe for my logitech radio, maybe just something for my 4 year old to play with.. any ideas. I guess maybe I could sell it on ebay though not sure how much money it would be worth. It's in ok condition but the battery cover is sort of a bit broken.

On another topic. Anyone had any experience moving apps, data etc. from one phone to another? Could I just use titanium backup to backup everything on my droid and move it to the new phone, I guess that won't work for phones that don' t have sd cards. Will google automatically download all my apps to the new phone once I log in. Can I be logged into two phones under the same account at the same time even?

Reaction score
I don't recommend you get rid of your OG or let it get destroyed, its always good to have a backup phone, should something to your new one so you don't have to deal with a crappy loaner phone while waiting for a replacement. Also, as long as you've had google backup on throughout the use of your phone then your apps should download to your new one and yes you can sign in with your google account on two seperate phones.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Htown315

Reaction score
+1

Good to have a spare Droid on hand in case of emergencies. Also you can get $75 on Craigslist for it if you truly don't want it.

REMilk

Reaction score
Now that I have upgraded to the Droid 3, I, too, have been contemplating what to do with my Droid.

I quickly found out that the Droid makes a great wifi-capable device! So what if I do not have 3G data or phone access. I have a great wifi device for listening to music or podcasts, reading ebooks, and playing games.

I purchased a new 32gb SD memory and put it in the Droid 3 and returned the 16gb memory to the Droid.

At this time, I removed many apps from the phone freeing up memory. I eliminated many file sharing (like sugar sync, zumo, etc, keeping awesome drop and dropbox) apps and many utility apps. If I need them, I can get them via wifi.

I kept the social networking apps (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc), music apps, ebook readers, email apps, games for me and games for my 3-1/2 year old grandson.

While working around the house, I use the Droid to listen to music rather than the new Droid 3. (I will not risk damaging the Droid 3 while working in the yard, around and under cars, or with carpentry or home repairs. I let my grandson play his games on it. I still make him sit down with it, but I do not sit right next to him anymore. (Hey, he is only 3-1/2 and gets rambunctious!)

At home, I read ebooks on it and listen to music on it. Since I have the tabletop charger for the Droid, I use it as my alarm clock and for weather alerts. I do not plan on buying the tabletop holder for the Droid 3.

Do not get me wrong, the Droid 3 is a fabulous device that does everything the Droid does and I think does it faster and the Droid 3 has additional functionality. I am just trying to 'protect' the Droid 3 since I have a device that I have no problems using the Droid under less than ideal situations.

In a couple of months, I may sell it on craigslist.

Bob

DaddysDroid

Reaction score
Have u ever considered donating it? When ur ready of course.

Lots of ways to do so. Just a thought.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

REMilk

Reaction score
Have u ever considered donating it? When ur ready of course.

Yes, donating it is also an option and if you donate it to the "right" charity, you can get itemize the donated value on your taxes.

BTW: The donation bins at the Verizon stores (in my area) clearly state that you cannot take a tax deduction by donating through the Verizon store.

DaddysDroid

Reaction score
Yes, donating it is also an option and if you donate it to the "right" charity, you can get itemize the donated value on your taxes.

BTW: The donation bins at the Verizon stores (in my area) clearly state that you cannot take a tax deduction by donating through the Verizon store.

Good to know...surprising though. I just got my D3 upgrade and it was sent with a pre-paid mailing package from Verizon for the purpose of donating. I wonder if that is tax deductible? ... since it's not through the store.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums