What will you do with your "old" OG Droid?

nmos

Reaction score
There have been a few threads discussing what new phone might be a suitable replacement for an OG Droid but this is a little different. When you finally find something worth upgrading to what will you do with your old Droid? You could sell it but that's boring and by the time the next generation is widely available it might not be worth much anyway. It would be a shame to just put it on the shelf next to a bunch of old flip phones. I thought of maybe using it as a dedicated GPS/Car Computer but I'm not sure how useful it would be if I didn't keep it activated. Maybe I'll mount it somewhere as a dedicated viewer for my security cameras. So what CREATIVE uses can you think of for a deactivated OG Droid?

sarreq

Reaction score
if I every get a GoogleTV, probably keep it as a dedicated remote

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I plan on keeping it in the car for GPS or something like that. Might even use it as just an mp3 player.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mack19318

Reaction score
i will

use it for gps and use it with wifi for the sirus app and have howard stern and sports wherever i wanna listen to them!
use it with dogcatcher app for podcasts too!

warrior21

Reaction score
Probably throw it in the shoebox in my closet full of all the other phones I have had.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
When I get my new Android phone after my July available date, I will run my Droid batteries down to 40%, put them in the fridge to preserve their life and store my Droid in a drawer. I will not get any insurance on the new Android phone. If I lose or break the new one or it dies after the 12 month warranty then I will use my Droid again until I am again eligible for a new phone. We have done this with all our phones for many years. The interesting thing is that we have never had to fall back to the old phone. None damaged, lost, stolen or dead. My wife will do the same with her Ally about a year later, except that she will not likely want to replace it when eligible.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Gave it away

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pass it on to my wife.
My wife is telling me her D1 is having some issues since she spilled coffee on it last week. So my guess is she's going to get my D1.

The other day when she was telling me about phone problems I immediately offered her my Blackberry Storm.. :) She said she don't want no stinking Blackberry.

celtic11

Reaction score
Navigation doesn't require a data connection I don't believe. Ill probably keep my OG around for a backup in case my new phone takes a **** and also let my son play games and stuff so he doesn't always want to use my phone like he does now.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

born2golf

Reaction score
Navigation doesn't require a data connection I don't believe. Ill probably keep my OG around for a backup in case my new phone takes a **** and also let my son play games and stuff so he doesn't always want to use my phone like he does now.

If you use google for navigation it certainly does require a data connection. It does not store any maps in the phone. It downloads the map contents for your current location/route every time. (If you are on verizon, try checking your map position while you are on a call. )

If there is a good navigation app that store maps locally, I'm very interested. Please share!

celtic11

Reaction score
My apologies you are correct. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that if you lost signal while using your navigation it would still work as long as you had GPS signal. Maybe that was because it already had the maps downloaded or maybe I'm going crazy. Anyways I turned off my data and you are correct it wouldn't get the directions.