What to do if your phone stops charging from your computer after 2.2 upgrade

stryguy

Reaction score
After updating to 2.2 my computer would no longer charge my phone. It said it was charging but the battery would actually drain itself. This is because the computer no longer recognized the phone and did not change the USB output from 100mA to 500mA.

To fix this:

With your phone unplugged from your computer.

On your computer go to:

Start / Motorola / Motorola Driver Installer.exe

Select CLEAN only and hit Start.

Now go to

USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola, Inc. USA

download and install the new drivers.

Plug in your phone and enjoy.

OP
S

stryguy

Reaction score
Motorola 4.7.1 Driver with MotoConnect is what I downloaded.

nerdhick

Reaction score
When I plugged it in the VCast thing came up, didn't before and it started to charge but then the VCast thing came up with a new page and again and again, like it was being connected, disconnected, connected, etc.

So I know I'm on the right track but something is out of wack. I'm gone for the night so I'll try it again tomorrow.

Thanks!

kimberlyr

Reaction score
Hello...

I'm having the same problem... I rely on my USB to charge while I'm at work to get through the day. The phone is showing the USB is connected but it's not charging and I'm not getting the VCast webpage either.

I did update my drivers as instructed above.

Would love some assistance if anyone has any ideas...

Thank you!

evangelicum

Reaction score
Not charging after rooting and restore via sbf flash, even on AC adapter

I'm a hardware engineer/software developer, it should not be this hard. Have Droid X with Android 2.2.1, after rooting using SuperOneClick with PDANet for Android, it would no longer charge, even on AC adapter, battery discharged during phone call. I did a lot of research online, have done as detailed below, but still not charging, and am awaiting delivery (a week away!) of a an external Droid X battery wall charger. I AM ABLE TO USE MY PHONE ONLY FOR NOW USING THE HACK INVOLVING OVERLAYING THE BATTERY WITH CUT OPEN POSITIVE/NEGATIVE LEADS OF A USB CABLE AND INSERTING INTO PHONE!!!

After establishing the USB/battery hack, I did the following (none resulting in battery charge restored):

• Removed root authority from apps intended to calibrate CPU and Battery, removed these apps entirely from phone.
  • Removed root authority from ALL rooted apps, removed all such apps from phone.
  • Unrooted phone
  • Downloaded RSDLite 4.8, 64 bit Motorola Drivers and VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.sbf (latest I could find) -- all onto Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, no problem flashing the new SBF, which is replaced Android 2.2.1 with only some minor cosmetic difference from what I started with. Yet still will not charge, even on AC adapter.
  • Downloaded the Motorola PC/USB charging drivers referenced on this website. But they not compatible with Windows 7 and will not even install. I don't really think these would fix my issue anyway since I cannot charge even with AC adapter.
(Please note that the battery was pulled on numerous occasions and I did remove the bare USB positve/negative leads from the battery before attempting to get it to charge either from PC or wall charger again.)

I don't really see a point in flashing a new bootloader since the one I have seems just fine. (It is version 30.04 by the way).

Can somebody please advise? I regret every having rooted the phone, but in fact, only after I rooted it was the first time the battery completely discharged while in use. I have read some users experiencing this issue with a completely unhacked/unrooted phone. And since I am now experiencing this with a newly-flashed SBF and unrooted phone, I just have to wonder.

I really DON'T need the phone to be rooted, though having Samba would have been cool. Am willing to try some more steps with flashing, drivers, et cetera, if anybody can suggest a proper solution.

Otherwise, what I really need to know is ... once I have flashed Android 2.2.1 back onto my phone, will Verizon be able to know that I hacked it ... if indeed it seems the only solution is to depend on warranty to get a new phone? Are there other steps I need take? (I would likely remove my 16 GB micro-SD card and replace with a 2 GB one anyway so no trace of apps/backups would be there.) The battery has had a lot of scotch tape stuck on/removed in past few days. I am thinking therefore that I want to avoid taking this phone directly into a Verizon store for sevrice.

I also rather wonder if all this cut-open USB cable jumpstarting may be affecting the battery. For all I know, the battery was flawed anyway. I guess that, once I receive the external charger, I can verify whether the battery itself is capable of holding a charge.

The good thing here is that it seems pretty hard to actually brick a Droid X. (Famous last words?)

Natey2

Reaction score
I'm a hardware engineer/software developer, it should not be this hard. Have Droid X with Android 2.2.1, after rooting using SuperOneClick with PDANet for Android, it would no longer charge, even on AC adapter, battery discharged during phone call. I did a lot of research online, have done as detailed below, but still not charging, and am awaiting delivery (a week away!) of a an external Droid X battery wall charger. I AM ABLE TO USE MY PHONE ONLY FOR NOW USING THE HACK INVOLVING OVERLAYING THE BATTERY WITH CUT OPEN POSITIVE/NEGATIVE LEADS OF A USB CABLE AND INSERTING INTO PHONE!!!

After establishing the USB/battery hack, I did the following (none resulting in battery charge restored):

• Removed root authority from apps intended to calibrate CPU and Battery, removed these apps entirely from phone.
  • Removed root authority from ALL rooted apps, removed all such apps from phone.
  • Unrooted phone
  • Downloaded RSDLite 4.8, 64 bit Motorola Drivers and VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.sbf (latest I could find) -- all onto Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, no problem flashing the new SBF, which is replaced Android 2.2.1 with only some minor cosmetic difference from what I started with. Yet still will not charge, even on AC adapter.
  • Downloaded the Motorola PC/USB charging drivers referenced on this website. But they not compatible with Windows 7 and will not even install. I don't really think these would fix my issue anyway since I cannot charge even with AC adapter.
(Please note that the battery was pulled on numerous occasions and I did remove the bare USB positve/negative leads from the battery before attempting to get it to charge either from PC or wall charger again.)

I don't really see a point in flashing a new bootloader since the one I have seems just fine. (It is version 30.04 by the way).

Can somebody please advise? I regret every having rooted the phone, but in fact, only after I rooted it was the first time the battery completely discharged while in use. I have read some users experiencing this issue with a completely unhacked/unrooted phone. And since I am now experiencing this with a newly-flashed SBF and unrooted phone, I just have to wonder.

I really DON'T need the phone to be rooted, though having Samba would have been cool. Am willing to try some more steps with flashing, drivers, et cetera, if anybody can suggest a proper solution.

Otherwise, what I really need to know is ... once I have flashed Android 2.2.1 back onto my phone, will Verizon be able to know that I hacked it ... if indeed it seems the only solution is to depend on warranty to get a new phone? Are there other steps I need take? (I would likely remove my 16 GB micro-SD card and replace with a 2 GB one anyway so no trace of apps/backups would be there.) The battery has had a lot of scotch tape stuck on/removed in past few days. I am thinking therefore that I want to avoid taking this phone directly into a Verizon store for sevrice.

I also rather wonder if all this cut-open USB cable jumpstarting may be affecting the battery. For all I know, the battery was flawed anyway. I guess that, once I receive the external charger, I can verify whether the battery itself is capable of holding a charge.

The good thing here is that it seems pretty hard to actually brick a Droid X. (Famous last words?)

Could you have shorted the battery by accident?

When I read issues like this, I'm happy to remain unrooted.
Can't afford to lose the use of my primary communication device.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

evangelicum

Reaction score
Seriously? Per my post, the battery issue began right AFTER I rooted the phone. I did not attempt the USB-wired battery hack until AFTER the battery issue began. Per my post, nothing has changed with regard to the charging issue since I did so. Why, then would you think the battery would not charge because of something I did AFTER the battery refused any longer to charge? Per my post, the situation remains the same, unchanged, despite everything I did.

I know my post was rather long but in working with computers we supply ALL the pertinent information up front. I am used to getting clueless shot-in-the-dark replies when dealing with the kids who work in "professional" tech support offices. That is why I always rely upon peer user forums like this one where the users generally have some technical savvy.

Let me qualify that I welcome INFORMED suggestions from people who ACTUALLY have some technical comprehension of the issues involved and will take the time to read my post before replying. Probably people with some experience in rooting a Droid and flashing an SBF file.

There is a huge amount of stuff out there on forums regarding Droid batteries which will not charge -- rooted and never rooted -- and I have read much of it. The steps I have taken as documented in my original post reflect what I have read. I am hoping somebody can point out issues/posts which I have missed.

Perhaps I should have posted my inquiry to an existing thread rather than as a new one in a General Droid Forum. If there are any moderators, please feel free to move my post to the appropriate discussion/thread.

evangelicum

Reaction score
SOLVED! (for me anyway)

This is so typically stupid. One can go to extremes and the problem is so OBVIOUS!!!!! And it had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the phone being rooted!

I was using the wrong AC/USB adapter. Like everybody else I have about a billion of these things now and they all look just alike. I almost didn't even bother to do this, but did go look through my drawer of chargers and located the Motorola one. As soon as plugged in, the thing started to charge right up. I removed all the temporary wires from the battery, put it back into the Droid X, put on the cover, and it is currently charging right back to where it was.

(I am glad however that I spent the $8.00 for the external wall charger, because a Verizon tech did verify for me that the battery has to have some minimal charge in it for the phone to charge at all. Thus, if the battery were every to totally discharge, an external charger might be a good idea.)

This kind of stupidity is so typical in the computer field. Once, when I was in college and programming FORTRAN for the biochem department, I wasted a whole weekend slaving over what turned out to be just two variable names joined into one, where there was not a comma at the end of one line ... blah blah blah.