USB Charge not working after update

gnomeh

Reaction score
Cannot connect with PC after GB update

While at work, I always plug my phone into the computer to charge my phone. I would connect thru "USB charge mode" only and have no problems. Yesterday, I updated to Gingerbread OTA and my phone will no longer charge when connected. I restarted my phone and comptuer numerous times and it would initially show the charge symbol in the battery notification and then disconnect. Now, the phone won't even detect the connection.

Since this is my work computer, I have no access to the computer software to update drivers as such. Any ideas on what may be the problem? I have tried different USB slots with no luck.
My phone was previously rooted before the update but I set it back to factory so I could receive the OTA update and it is no longer rooted.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

OP
G

gnomeh

Reaction score
Update: I noticed it seems to be accepting a charge while the phone is off tho. My green LED was lit with the USB cord in.

OP
G

gnomeh

Reaction score
so... after messing with it practically all day. Installing all sorts of drivers, motorola media link and vcast manager - I even did a complete wipe of my phone and the the best my phone will do is connect for a little bit and then almost immediately disconnect. I keep turning USB debugging on and off and connecting in between and it seems to help sometimes for it to stay connected longer but I am having no luck getting it to stay connected and to charge.
My phone still does charge thru the wall charge but I spend most of my day listening to the radio on my phone and charging it with my work computer so being able to charge thru the PC is a must. Any ideas please?

Natey2

Reaction score
Maybe the USB port is not supplying enough current to charge the phone while the phone is on. Some PCs have rear USB ports that supply a little more current than the front USB ports. Or try a powered USB hub.
Long USB cables can be an issue too.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

OP
G

gnomeh

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I have the short cable the came with the droid and a longer cable. I have tried all different combinations of cords and USB ports with no success.
For whatever reason, I had the longer cable working at my work computer yesterday and now I can't get either cable to work today! This is the weirdest problem.
I've been researching like crazy and the next thing I will try is dismounting the sd card and rebooting while the cord is plugged in. I tried it on my work computer with no luck but I expected that.

Any other suggestions please?

dsteinschneider

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I have the short cable the came with the droid and a longer cable. I have tried all different combinations of cords and USB ports with no success.
For whatever reason, I had the longer cable working at my work computer yesterday and now I can't get either cable to work today! This is the weirdest problem.
I've been researching like crazy and the next thing I will try is dismounting the sd card and rebooting while the cord is plugged in. I tried it on my work computer with no luck but I expected that.

Any other suggestions please?

Did you ever sort this out? I just upgraded from .340 to the pre-rooted .602 and I'm having exactly the same problem. The DX will charge through the computer or powered USB hub but not from any charger/cable combination I have that worked fine until the update. It's not an emergency for me because I have a standalone battery charger and a couple extra extended batteries but I would like to sort this out - someday I'll need to charge from a wall charger for some reason.

Thanks