What to buy for a no contract phone?

ovaltine123

Reaction score
I've had droids all my smartphone life. I like the operating system better than windows or IOS so I want to stick with android. I'm nearing the end of my contract and don't want to renew it. I currently have a HTC DNA. Its a pretty good phone, great screen and fast but the sim card is slowly stopping to work and group text messages are pretty hard to use. But the main problem is the battery is absolutely TERRIBLE. I woke up this morning at 8:30 and the battery was fully charged. It's now 10:00, I've got onto facebook for 10 minutes and now the battery is at 47%! Is there a way to replace the battery?...or is it even worth it to?

I'm guessing its probably just a better route to get a new phone. I don't want to spend a ton of money buying a phone so do you think its a better route to get a nicer used phone or a new cheaper phone? And specifically what phones would you recommend? I don't want to have to deal with this terrible battery situation anymore. I mainly use my smartphone for social media, browsing the internet, and taking pictures.

Thanks!

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
I know that some people have used Swappa to get a gently used phone. I have not personally used it, but have thought about using it in the past.

Good luck!

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
If you want a fully loaded phone at a decent price, check out the One + One.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I know that some people have used Swappa to get a gently used phone. I have not personally used it, but have thought about using it in the past.

Good luck!

I've used Swappa many times for selling and buying. It's an excellent site for purchasing devices off-contract.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Doesn't work on Verizon.

Again, doesn't work on Verizon.

I've used Swappa with very good success. I would look there.
Didn't notice any reference to VZW.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Didn't notice any reference to VZW.

ovaltine123 mentions being near the end of a contract and having a HTC DNA. That phone is only available on Verizon in the U.S.

I've had droids all my smartphone life. I like the operating system better than windows or IOS so I want to stick with android. I'm nearing the end of my contract and don't want to renew it. I currently have a HTC DNA. Its a pretty good phone, great screen and fast but the sim card is slowly stopping to work and group text messages are pretty hard to use. But the main problem is the battery is absolutely TERRIBLE. I woke up this morning at 8:30 and the battery was fully charged. It's now 10:00, I've got onto facebook for 10 minutes and now the battery is at 47%! Is there a way to replace the battery?...or is it even worth it to?

I'm guessing its probably just a better route to get a new phone. I don't want to spend a ton of money buying a phone so do you think its a better route to get a nicer used phone or a new cheaper phone? And specifically what phones would you recommend? I don't want to have to deal with this terrible battery situation anymore. I mainly use my smartphone for social media, browsing the internet, and taking pictures.

Thanks!

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
ovaltine123 mentions being near the end of a contract and having a HTC DNA. That phone is only available on Verizon in the U.S.
Keep forgetting we can get just about any phone for any carrier here...Me Bad

OP
O

ovaltine123

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll definitely check out Swappa!

What's the maximum you wish to spend?

Umm, ideally under $150, but more importantly I want to get a decent phone that will last me a few years.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Do you need Root? I saw a bunch of nice Moto X 2013's for sale around $150.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Do you need Root? I saw a bunch of nice Moto X 2013's for sale around $150.
Agreed...the Moto X is a great phone even though its a 2013 model. If you can grab one in great condition for $150 or less it should last you a few years. My wife loves hers. There are other good choices....that's just one example that I can personally say is still a great phone.