What ROM is best for me?

seventieslord

Reaction score
When I got my D2G a month ago, the first thing I did was root it. Then I wanted to flash a ROM. Why? I dunno. I know rooting is good for a number of reasons. As for ROMs, I never even knew they existed until a couple months ago. I wanted FroYo on my old phone and the walkthrough I found showed me how to flash Cyanogen mod, which was based off FroYo. I liked Cyanogen a lot so it made sense to find a another ROM/mod for my new phone

After some quick research, it appeared that Fission was just about the only option I have thanks to there not being very many devs working on this phone, its lack of overall popularity (which I realize has nothing to do with its performance as a phone, which has been awesome), and of course the locked bootloader.

So I installed Fission.

I have absolutely no complaints. The phone has had its share of little bugs here and there, but:

a) the bugs are nothing compared to my old phone, both pre- and post-Cyanogen,
b) I have nothing to compare it to; i.e. I ran the stock ROM for less than a day,
c) I am not savvy enough to understand, in most cases, when there is an error, do I blame the hardware of the phone, or the mod.

But, having found this forum and browsed around a lot, it seems I do have other options, like Angel and Fenom... maybe more. So how do I know what ROM is best for me?

A little about myself. I like having tons of apps. I try out all kinds of apps all the time and once I find something I like, I stick with it, and I buy it or donate. I like lots of "cool" apps, things that show off the functionalities of my phone or of Android. I am obsessed with widgets and I fill practically my entire homescreen with them, and I love that I have a phone that will actually do that without slowing down. I really want to get a 3G speed hack on my phone. I tried the one in the general D2G forum but can't get RadioComm to transfer the settings over. I welcome the possibility of hacking the speed using a different method. A ROM with a speed hack built in is ideal. I also really enjoy having a wackload of different options and settings to go through. (I kind of miss cyanogen for this reason)

I also like stability. At the same time, I am a dilligent backer-upper and don't have any fear about losing critical data. I am looking for "upside" right now. what has the most promise, that works best for my tastes? If it's a bit buggy I am ok with that, as long as the mod is well-supported (like Angel, for example) and has frequent updates.

Comments from people who have tried Fission and another ROM would be the most appreciated, but any comments at all would be great. This thread could be a good one-stop resource for new D2G owners wondering what ROM to get. I hope there actually is an answer, and that choosing a ROM is not likened to "the same thing as having a favourite sports team". :)

jt1359

Reaction score
I would say try Angel, maybe Fenom. The developer for fission hasn't put out an update for months, and is moving away from Droids. Fenom is good, but the dev for the ROM has said he won't be putting out too many more updates for it, as he is working on something else. Also a lot of people seem to get reboots on it if they're not coming from stock (you'd be fine). Angel has some good mods, is stable, and is getting a ton of support in the theming department right now. I would go with Angel for now and see what the developer of Fenom (Fenuxx) does when his new project comes out.

OP
S

seventieslord

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

If you were me, would you switch? It takes some time restoring everything and there's always that little risk of something going wrong. I'm completely happy with Fission.

What benefit will I get from Angel that I'm not getting now? I guess that's what I need to know. Because if it's just a move from apples to a different brand of apples, I would probably not bother.

I just need to gauge whether a move is really worth it.

NerosDad

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

If you were me, would you switch? It takes some time restoring everything and there's always that little risk of something going wrong. I'm completely happy with Fission.

What benefit will I get from Angel that I'm not getting now? I guess that's what I need to know. Because if it's just a move from apples to a different brand of apples, I would probably not bother.

I just need to gauge whether a move is really worth it.

Speaking for myself, i'd make the switch to Angel for 3 reasons: has been more stable than fission on my device, has better battery life than either fission or stock (Waaaaayyy better than stock), and lastly, the support has been very, very responsive (and, as mentioned, the themes are flowing like wine these days).