What phone to get on Verizon?

CannibalAngel

Reaction score
So;

I have an upgrade available to me in 13 days. I am on Verizon an do not want to switch to any other carrier. My GF just got the HTC Thunderbolt and I was wondering what phone I should get. Is there a superior phone coming out in the next month or two that I should wait for or should I get the Thunderbolt as well?

Thanks in advance!

Pumaro

Reaction score
The next phone is the Bionic might as well wait and see what that phone has to offer. You could get the Bionic and try it out for 14 days and exchange for the TB if you dont like it...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The Incredible 2 is thought to be released fairly soon. I'd check that out.

My friend has a Thunderbolt and I feel it's too big of a phone. Plus he said the battery life is even worse than my Inc.

OP
C

CannibalAngel

Reaction score
Yeah I will wait to see what the Bionic has to offer. According to Motorolla it is going to have a dual core processor but I will wait for the full tech specs to make a final decision. Any idea when it is supposed to come out?

Also, I love my Incredible and would like to know more about the Incredible S. Any specs on it or a tenative release daye yet?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
It will depend on what you want to do with it. If you want to root and install custom kernels/TRUE custom roms, then don't get a Motorola phone. If you just want for average use then get whatever you like at the time. I still recommend something other than Motorola after some of their recent practices. Blur (Moto's UI) is also really buggy and has alot of problems with restarts and general force closes.

OP
C

CannibalAngel

Reaction score
Yeah, like I said I live my Incredible and HTC. I would much rather have an HTC phone than a Motorolla. If the specs of the Bionic are a lot better than the Thunderbolt I will at least give it a try. If I can find some sort of official release date and tech specs for the Incredible S and it is not too far off I may just wait for that.

Pumaro

Reaction score
Incredible 2 will only be 3G, If you played with the Thunderbolt on 4G you know its not even a contest in performance as 4G LTE is up to > 30X faster. I would only consider a phone capable of 4G LTE from here on out.
1251104259.png

yiannis

Reaction score
Yeah 4G is fast but I don't have any problems with 3G.

I'm sorry but that statement suggests that you aren't really using your internet, in which case why is this even a thread, or that you don't really grasp the difference that a 50% smaller ping time and a ~ 10x download speed makes on a phone.

I'd go 4G in a heartbeat. Think about it...

OP
C

CannibalAngel

Reaction score
Woah no need for the hostility. I simply said that 3G is fine for me. I do understand that 4G is a lot faster but since I am fine with my 3G speeds it is not that big a factor for me.

yiannis

Reaction score
Woah no need for the hostility. I simply said that 3G is fine for me. I do understand that 4G is a lot faster but since I am fine with my 3G speeds it is not that big a factor for me.

Was not being hostile, just urging you to think whether you really need a top of the line phone if you aren't really needing the extra speed, assuming it is available where you live.

jeffly777

Reaction score
That did seem a little overly hostile, didn't it?

However, LTE is the future, and you, like me, will think 3G is fine until you have 4G. It's nearly as fast as my home internet connection.

Proof.
uploadfromtaptalk1302756522196.jpg

I have the thunderbolt and love it. The bionic will beat it in some stats (duel core) and is worse in others (ram, camera resolution). Play with both and see what you like. If you really like sense I think you'll wind up liking the thunderbolt better than any other verizon phone on the near horizon. The battery life does suck, but search around. There are ways to deal with that and forthcoming software updates will likely help a lot.

Thunderstruck

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Well there are a lot of factors at play here...I personally dont like the thunderbolt or bionic (and Im not to happy that quad core phones are rumored so soon). If your 3G speed isnt an issue, my question is Are you happy with what you have now? You could go month-to-month off contract until a real eye catcher comes out and save that upgrade for a few months down the road. The incredible 2 and d3 look very promising although I am unsure if they really are 3G only.

OP
C

CannibalAngel

Reaction score
I do love HTC Sense and I love rooting and changing my ROM to get my phone exactly how I want it. My GF got the extended battery which should help with the crappy battery life. I think I will go with the Thunderbolt as it is the best phone on Verizon right now and I don't think there is anything better coming out anytime soon.

I was thinking about the Bionic but 512 meg RAM just doesn't seem like enough. Especially for a dual core processor (that we don't know the speed of yet) and since my Incredible has more and it came out a year ago. I also don't really care for MotoBLUR or NinjaBLUR or whatever they are calling there skin these days. They also aren't very hacker/ROMer friendly.

jeffly777

Reaction score
Sounds like you're decided, and good call imo, but one more thought: the first version of android that is designed to take advantage of a duel core cpu is honeycomb. Since that was specifically designed for tablets, it's unlikely to make it on to phones in its current form. So it might be a while before software can even use the power of the bionic's cpu.

Thunderstruck