What kind of car do you drive?

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
My dad's Tundra has been sitting outside in the Florida sun since 2005. It's in surprisingly good shape. I guess it all comes down to the quality of plastic the auto maker uses. From what I've seen, Dodge has been pretty bad when it comes to their dashboards.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Mercedes under European laws had to meet a certain percentage of recycled materials in building cars, recycled plastics where used extensively in manufacturing cars. Mercedes in the late (read into that, dodge) 90's every plastic piece rotted away under its own power. Mercedes wiring insulation would liberate itself from the wire. Dodge was spared because their wiring harnesses were made in Mexico.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Ford had the same problem in the late eighties. Their plastic was ridiculous.

coconutt

Reaction score
Does anyone have, um, an import?

EDIT:
Nevermind, f*cking blind.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
They all have their flaws. 99-07 GM trucks had a coating on the dash that was prone to peeling, especially on black interiors. 07+ black base cloth in the GM trucks collected lint like a mother and they sent out a TSB for it in 08 or 09...

probably sent from a classroom

goosedeath

Reaction score
Traded in a cherry '93 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 for a 08 Nissan Frontier NISMO 4X4 w/ 26k miles on it in March.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Traded in a cherry '93 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 for a 08 Nissan Frontier NISMO 4X4 w/ 26k miles on it in March.

My roommate drives an 05 Nissan Frontier Nismo. They're nice

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Nice truck! Looks sharp.

How do you like the Hypertech? Did it increase gas mileage any?

EDIT: I believe I know one of the mods from Dodge Talk...

Thanks. My truck isn't tuned for MPG. I have a 33' travel trailer I tow so I tune it for power. But the Hypertech did help a little with gas mileage. My truck was de-tuned by a dealership because of a ping due to a plenum gasket leak. The dealership band-aid fix is to retard the timing via the computer so it doesn't ping but that kills the mpg and power. There are a few fixes for the timing issue and one of them is a get a tuner after of course the plenum gasket is repaired, which I did.

goosedeath

Reaction score
brad92 said:
My roommate drives an 05 Nissan Frontier Nismo. They're nice

I like it. A little too much plastic inside. Good power and a E-locker in the rear. It had no problem following a brand new Tacoma w/ a 3" lift at it's stock height.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks. My truck isn't tuned for MPG. I have a 33' travel trailer I tow so I tune it for power. But the Hypertech did help a little with gas mileage. My truck was de-tuned by a dealership because of a ping due to a plenum gasket leak. The dealership band-aid fix is to retard the timing via the computer so it doesn't ping but that kills the mpg and power. There are a few fixes for the timing issue and one of them is a get a tuner after of course the plenum gasket is repaired, which I did.
I need to check my plenum gasket. Did it take very long? The only thing I'm worried about is the manifold bolts are prone to breaking, or so I've heard.

I like it. A little too much plastic inside. Good power and a E-locker in the rear. It had no problem following a brand new Tacoma w/ a 3" lift at it's stock height.
The plastics are my only complaint that I have seen. But I like the Rockford Fosgate system. Sounds good for stock. Seems like a good offroading value.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
My plenum is beautifully clean. Thank goodness!

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
When I ordered the Plenum repair kit from Hughes engines it came with new bolts. Some of those bolts are TTY (torque to yield) bolts so they shouldn't be reused. My bolts came out ok. The whole process took about 4-5 hours but I also did some machining of my intake manifold and my throttle body while I had it off.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums