What kind of apps do you want on the market?

titanfan1017

Reaction score
How Bout an App that makes the Camera on a motorola Droid 1 work and a gallery that isnt soooooo slow. i hate the camera and gallery on this phone no matter what rom i use.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
So what if I am?

Then why not use LPP. I dont think the OP/Devs want to make an LPP clone. Not that its a bad thing to mimic some of the features just not a clone. ;)

The one thing the app market completely lacks is an FXP app. We have FTP apps supporting FTP, FTPS, SCP, and SFTP but not FXP. I do believe this could be useful for many people. In a work environment, you may be able to quickly and easily transfer files from your home PC to your work PC. For web masters, they could be bale to transfer files from there PC to there server on the go. In my case I want to transfer files from my home PC/FTP server to my NAS, so I can transfer movies and such from my PC to my NAS(connected to my WD HD Live Media Player) so they are ready to watch when I get home.

droid doctor

Reaction score
Well make a completely original one with its own good looking widgets. Not lpp.

cutiedroid

Reaction score
That is only possible with root

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Why? Why? This whole rooting thing is like if we had had to install shareware on a Windows machine, even one just running Win3.11, and the user had to drop out to the C:/ prompt to make the installation.

Did someone accidentally discover this rooting practice while on the way to learning something else about the phone, or was it known in advance that rooting one's Android would be part of the experience?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Natey2

Reaction score
For GingerBread... a free screen snapshot tool that uses the new public SurfaceFlinger screenshot API so non-rooted phones can take screenshots.
This app will be a hit!

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

Thank you for this request. I just d/l'ed an app called "Screen Capture" because it it said the phone didn't have to be rooted, but it still needs a file, maybe that ADB file, to make it work. WTH? So a nice regular Android screenshot app would be very nice.

Every phone (iPhone, Blackberry, Palm, Windows Mobile, etc) can do screenshots without hacking the phone, except Android.
Its about time (2.3.3) Android provided a non-root privileged API that enables screenshots.

To use ADB, you need the sdk -
http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/tools/adb.html
and the phone has to be connected to the PC via USB.

MyPhoneExplorer allows you to take pics without being rooted or the need for sdk, but you have to install a PC client, and the phone has to be hooked up to the PC via USB.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

Drummynator

Reaction score
That is only possible with root

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Why? Why? This whole rooting thing is like if we had had to install shareware on a Windows machine, even one just running Win3.11, and the user had to drop out to the C:/ prompt to make the installation.

Did someone accidentally discover this rooting practice while on the way to learning something else about the phone, or was it known in advance that rooting one's Android would be part of the experience?

Root privileges are the powers that the root account has on the system. The root account is the most privileged on the system and has absolute power over it (i.e., complete access to all files and commands). Among root's powers are the ability to modify the system in any way desired and to grant and revoke access permissions (i.e., the ability to read, modify and execute specific files and directories) for other users, including any of those that are by default reserved for root. (from link below)

Of course, android doesn't come with a root account. Probably because someone would brick their phone accidently, come to the conclusion that android phones are worthless, and get a different phone. So, our hacker friends had to bring root to android by force. It was only a matter of time.

More info on what root is here:
http://www.linfo.org/root.html

Sent from my Focused and Crystallized DROID X

FatCasper00

Reaction score
I would love to see a better farm game, like zombie farm on the iphone.

grace1169

Reaction score
An app that you can guide noobies to use other apps. Not just bald text but also images and video. Is it sound a little strange?

cutiedroid

Reaction score
If I'd known that these smartphones, or at least this one, were based on Unix, which wasn't even user-friendly on a PC, I never would've gotten the D2G, or any smartphone, especially if rooting is the only way to do cool stuff to your phone. Wasn't this why Windows became more popular than what, that penguin?

silverfang77

Reaction score
Well, if Linux-based Android is too geeky for you, try Windows Phone. MS has its solid reputation among cell phone users for a reason. :)

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If I'd known that these smartphones, or at least this one, were based on Unix, which wasn't even user-friendly on a PC, I never would've gotten the D2G, or any smartphone, especially if rooting is the only way to do cool stuff to your phone. Wasn't this why Windows became more popular than what, that penguin?

No, winblows got more popular because it was shoved down everyones throats basically. You pretty much can't get a computer from a factory that has linux, just windows or osx (which is a branch of linux). Linux is user friendly if you actually put a little effort into learning it. The only reason windows is" user friendly" (and its a little too user friendly, which is why its soooooo easy to get viruses on it) is because that's what most people that grow up having computers grew up with. I grew up with windows, and yes it is user friendly but only to a certain extent. If you really want to tweak you can't really unless you put time to learn in it.

@silverfang
It has a solid reputation alright.... of being way too insecure.

Sent from a D2G running my rom

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score

And this has what to do with the topic exactly? If you dont like it go get a dumb phone or Win7Mo and quit complaining. You had 30 days when you purchased your D2G to return it, so why dont/didnt you?

No, winblows got more popular because it was shoved down everyones throats basically. You pretty much can't get a computer from a factory that has linux, just windows or osx (which is a branch of linux). Linux is user friendly if you actually put a little effort into learning it. The only reason windows is" user friendly" (and its a little too user friendly, which is why its soooooo easy to get viruses on it) is because that's what most people that grow up having computers grew up with. I grew up with windows, and yes it is user friendly but only to a certain extent. If you really want to tweak you can't really unless you put time to learn in it.

Pretty much, yes, but not completely. ;)
Dell Ubuntu Linux PCs - Desktops, Laptops, Netbooks & Notebooks | Dell

In the sake of fairness I have to play devils advocate here. :p

Windows user friendliness is not simply because it has been shoved down our throat and that is what kids in school learn on these days, but rather because everything has become point and click. If I want to install a freeware app, lets say mkvtoolnix for example, I download the EXE and run it. Everything is point and click to install. Assuming it is not in synaptic package manager(or equivalent) your have to download it, drop to a terminal prompt and build from source. Even if you know how to compile from source off the top of your head, a few point and clicks is easier and quicker then having to type make, for example, then let it compile, then make install, and let it go through that process as well.

As for viruses, it is the most targeted OS due to its popularity. Of course its going to be easier to get viruses, but OsX which like you said is a linux branch was the easiest hacked OS at pwn2own this year.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

Pretty much, yes, but not completely. ;)
Dell Ubuntu Linux PCs - Desktops, Laptops, Netbooks & Notebooks | Dell

In the sake of fairness I have to play devils advocate here. :p

Windows user friendliness is not simply because it has been shoved down our throat and that is what kids in school learn on these days, but rather because everything has become point and click. If I want to install a freeware app, lets say mkvtoolnix for example, I download the EXE and run it. Everything is point and click to install. Assuming it is not in synaptic package manager(or equivalent) your have to download it, drop to a terminal prompt and build from source. Even if you know how to compile from source off the top of your head, a few point and clicks is easier and quicker then having to type make, for example, then let it compile, then make install, and let it go through that process as well.

As for viruses, it is the most targeted OS due to its popularity. Of course its going to be easier to get viruses, but OsX which like you said is a linux branch was the easiest hacked OS at pwn2own this year.

I said pretty much for a reason =P

As for the point and click, if more people ran other os's then things would be developed for it in a point and click installer. Thats the main thing, more people use windows so why should companies develop for it?

OsX is also a lot more insecure because of making it more "user friendly" so that makes sense. Would have thought Windows would have gotten easiest though.