Push Ads Warning

Nex

Reaction score
Hey nex, welcome to the forums....
Have you tried any of the lookout products? They have an ad detector app. Its free in the market. It may help find the culprit. And if you haven't get their mobile security app.

Thanks for the tip! I've used security software in the past and they never found anything. Ive downloaded Lookout as you said and it came out empty as well. I never download any shady apps so I dont think its in the apps. Im really in the dark as to what is causing these redirects :-/

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
Nex said:
Thanks for the tip! I've used security software in the past and they never found anything. Ive downloaded Lookout as you said and it came out empty as well. I never download any shady apps so I dont think its in the apps. Im really in the dark as to what is causing these redirects :-/

Did you download lookout ad network detector? I downloaded all of their apps and found some very useful info.

Nex

Reaction score
Thnx, Downloaded and scanned. Nice app but IT didnt find anything. Any more tips?

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Some of the reactions in here are troubling. Android is an open market and as such there are going to be things you don't like.

The majority of the apps that use these ads are free. Meaning you have lost NOTHING.

I don't like ads, ever. I have push notifications apps to sniff out the rare cases I find of them. If it's an app I really like, it usually isn't, I pay for the ad free version. If they don't offer one I uninstall the app and find an alternative that doesn't have the notifications in the first place or offers an ad free version.

This goes for most apps with regular ads inside the app. I don't have a problem with the developers making their own business model. Their downloads and revenue dictate whether a particular system works for them.

Basically I prefer the Android model as opposed to the Apple model where Apple dictates the developers' and consumers' choices. Even with the negatives of the open market.

OP
C

calguy19

Reaction score
The Lookout scanner doesn't always work. It craps out if you have too many apps on your phone, as I do. Currently I've been having pretty good luck with air push detector (free on the android market).

Some apps put a web shortcut on your home screen, which can usually be deleted. Others can change your browser home page, which you can change back, or add links to your browser "favorites", which you can delete. In any case, this usually happens shortly after you install or update the offending app. so a little detective work can give you an idea which app(s) to delete. I then add a review of that app on the market, including pretty strong language (not permitted on this forum). Virtual Guitar just added airpush to their app, so I overwrote the update with the previous version (which I backed up), and posted a very negative user review.

Anyone can send you a spam text msg if they have your smartphone number. There are apps on android mkt that can blacklist those numbers, but I found the main app that does that to be a battery hog, so I deleted it. I believe that for a phone that hasn't been unlocked, an airpush addon attached to an app must be installed, and if that app with that addon is uninstalled, those ads can no longer be pushed to your phone.