What is your favorite launcher for the Droid 3?

Reaction score
GO Launcher. Used to use ADW/Launcher Pro on my OG Droid. I like the change of scenery, plus it's got a lot of free widgets and themes. :biggrin:

carlismith123

Reaction score
Had never heard of Nemus, before reading this that is. I'm currently test driving it and liking what I see. Very smooth, sleek, unobtrusive interface. I like. :icon_ lala:

technogeek00

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience coding for a home launcher? I don't understand how fede started the rewrite in like september/october of 2010 and he still hasn't finished. Does a home launcher take that long to write?

I don't mean to criticize fede for taking so long, or to imply that he "owes me" something. I'm just curious if it does indeed take a year plus to write a home launcher.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Launchers are extremely complicated, especially ones that offer more features than the stock launcher. I know it wouldn't take a year to build one if that was all you were doing, but most developers have these as side projects, especially theme and interface applications, so they take the back burner quite frequently. If the author hasn't gone dormant and is truely re-writing from scratch, let him take all the time he needs.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Had never heard of Nemus, before reading this that is. I'm currently test driving it and liking what I see. Very smooth, sleek, unobtrusive interface. I like. :icon_ lala:

Nemus is good. It satisfies my 2 basic requirements:

1) privilege requirements must not be overkill
2) ability to hide and/or group apps in the app drawer

Nemus got a recent update so I gave it another shot for 12 hours. I really like it because it looks nice but the main thing keeping me on ADW is that Nemus won't let you change the number of rows on the home screens. I go with 5 rows plus the dock.

GO Launcher EX, Rocket Launcher, etc., etc.,--the privilege requirements are a deal breaker. ZEAM is the only other launcher I've found, besides the two above, with reasonable privileges. Anyone know of any others?

lildj0809

Reaction score
I got my phone about a month ago, and I spent most of the first day I owned it browsing these forums. I got GLP off the market, and uninstalled it about 5 minutes later lol. It was my first smart phone, and I had no idea what I was doing. So I've been sticking with the stock launcher since then. I've been watching some reviews and reading about other stuff now that I understand it a little more, and I have seen a few videos where MX Home Launcher looks pretty cool. How's come noone has mentioned it?

deborah3756

Reaction score
I like GoLauncher, not impressed with ADW or QqLauncher.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

REMilk

Reaction score
It is difficult to make a decision as many of these reviews lack substance. Saying, I like XYZ launcher tells me nothing. Tell me why you like the launcher, what are the advantages over other Launchers you have tried, and be specific. In addition, explain why a particular launcher does not meet your needs and again be specific.

I remember back a year or so ago, one of the forum posters put together a post that described each of the launchers available at that time. This poster also tested each one and gave his opinion on its usability. Remember, it was his opinion, and yours may differ. I found this post very helpful.

Given the many quality and unique third-party Launcher/Home Screen replacements, it would be nice for someone to step up to the plate and compile this information for all to see.

Once compiled, maybe it can become a stickie.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe someone has done a review of most launchers on here already, I'll try to find it and sticky it, if I find it deems sticky'ing.

On a side note, I reinstalled ADW on my D3 for the ICS theme from THAPhlash and kovdev, and it is exceptional.

REMilk

Reaction score
I believe someone has done a review of most launchers on here already, I'll try to find it and sticky it, if I find it deems sticky'ing.

On a side note, I reinstalled ADW on my D3 for the ICS theme from THAPhlash and kovdev, and it is exceptional.

Thank you guidot! I hope you locate it. Why do you consider ADW exceptional?

I will use post #34 as an example of a good post that answers the question of why someone prefers/likes a specific Home Screen replacement. In post #34, NoBloatware gave 2 specific examples of why he Zeam meets his needs. This kind of post I find very helpful and informative.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Thank you guidot! I hope you locate it. Why do you consider ADW exceptional?

I will use post #34 as an example of a good post that answers the question of why someone prefers/likes a specific Home Screen replacement. In post #34, NoBloatware gave 2 specific examples of why he Zeam meets his needs. This kind of post I find very helpful and informative.

Lol, thanks REMilk. I just re-read my post and found it a little confusing! My choice of launcher right now is actually ADW, not Zeam:
-free
-fast
-bugless
-reasonable privilege requirements
-can hide stuff in the app drawer
-can resize size of home screen (rows & columns)
-has enough other features for me, like ability to resize widgets

If you don't mind being reamed by the privileges then my pick is GO Launcher EX. It has lots of features. The main one, for me, that makes it a bit cooler than ADW is that you can swipe up on any of the dock icons to perform a different operation. For example, set the dialer icon on the dock. Set the swipe up action for it to go to your Google Voice inbox. That being said, GO took ADW's code and modified it. They added some stuff and I don't think that they're providing the source code in return. Also, I don't trust them. Their launcher asks for too many privileges, PERIOD

LT*

Reaction score
I use LPP. I have it set to not rotate the home screen to landscape. My question is, do any of these other launchers have a setting that will allow the home screens to rotate to landscape ONLY when the keyboard is opened,and leave it in portrait if the phone keyboard is closed?

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I use LPP. I have it set to not rotate the home screen to landscape. My question is, do any of these other launchers have a setting that will allow the home screens to rotate to landscape ONLY when the keyboard is opened,and leave it in portrait if the phone keyboard is closed?

ADW allows this behavior. In ADW's preferences, set the orientation to Portrait. The screen will not rotate to landscape unless the keyboard is opened.

I've probably said this before in this thread: ADW, Nemus, and Zeam are the only 3 launchers that I've found that require a reasonable set of privileges. I don't need my launcher to access my SMS, have full Internet access, etc. My current favorite is ADW but I have all 3 installed. Anyone know of any others that have reasonable privilege requirements?

DELUXDroid

Reaction score
Go Launcher is awesome. I tried Zeam for a bit, ADW, Launcher Pro... but Go Launcher just fails to disappoint me. And there's a REALLY NICE free ICS theme floating around for it that just makes it the tits. That and I still get ridiculously good battery life with it, which wasn't true for some of the other launchers.