What is this keyboard?

antaine

Reaction score
I have this keyboard on my phone (Razr Maxx HD), which I consider to be the most useful I've seen. I've been helping my mom and dad set up their new smartphones (a Droid Maxx and a Droid Mini), but the stock keyboards lack the useful arrow keys and symbols on long-press letters that mine has. I don't think I have anything special installed (at least I don't recall installing anything purposefully). I looked in the store to see if I could download this version, but nothing there seemed to specify that it had Swype along with those other two (especially those two) features. The screenshot below is from my text messaging program, where I custom defined the lower right key to be smilies; in all other apps it is the return key.

phone keyboard.png

Under "Language and Input" on my phone I see the following things:

Screenshot_2013-08-28-10-56-02~01.png

Which keyboard is the one I'm looking at in the photo? How can I download and install it on my parent's phones? Does this mean I am not using "Swype + Dragon" and can safely uninstall that keyboard?

Thanks!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
That keyboard appears to be Swype...

Swype with Dragon is installed from the Play Store and if it is not checked, you are not using it. The Swype keyboard is installed on some phones by default but as for getting it on your folk's devices - you might check out the Swype website for beta's of the keyboard...

The Swype with Dragon keyboard has the arrows but I think the placement of them is different.

OP
antaine

antaine

Reaction score
Are there different Swype keyboards? I believe their phones also say "Swype" like mine, but they lack the symbols and the arrows. They have to go into a separate menu every time they want a @, _, :, or ) (very annoying), and they have to have perfect aim to move the cursor back for a correction (very difficult for them both as they're new to touch screens and have difficulty seeing that accurately without their glasses.

The Swype keyboard in the store looks much different than mine: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nuance.swype.dtc&hl=en

*Sorry, for some reason I didn't see part of your message when I posted originally, but I do maintain my question. I recall installing Swype+Dragon on my mom's phone in my first attempt at a better keyboard, and that it did not have the arrows. I would really like to get exactly the keyboard I have on my phone (and to know what it is so I can put it back when I upgrade my own phone). I will continue looking into Swype options as per your advice, but in the meantime, if anyone knows where I can get a download of precisely the keyboard I'm using now, I'd really appreciate it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are there different Swype keyboards? I believe their phones also say "Swype" like mine, but they lack the symbols and the arrows. They have to go into a separate menu every time they want a @, _, :, or ) (very annoying), and they have to have perfect aim to move the cursor back for a correction (very difficult for them both as they're new to touch screens and have difficulty seeing that accurately without their glasses.

The Swype keyboard in the store looks much different than mine: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nuance.swype.dtc&hl=en

*Sorry, for some reason I didn't see part of your message when I posted originally, but I do maintain my question. I recall installing Swype+Dragon on my mom's phone in my first attempt at a better keyboard, and that it did not have the arrows. I would really like to get exactly the keyboard I have on my phone (and to know what it is so I can put it back when I upgrade my own phone). I will continue looking into Swype options as per your advice, but in the meantime, if anyone knows where I can get a download of precisely the keyboard I'm using now, I'd really appreciate it.

Yes there are different versions of Swype. There's the Play store version (Swype+ Dragon) there's the oem Swype that comes embedded on many devices but can't be updated except with firmware upgrades because it's embedded in the firmware and there's Swype beta that can be gotten for free one they start it back up again next month by going to swype.com/beta.
I'm guessing they have oem and to get to arrows swipe from the S with a finger (aka Swype key) to the +!= key, if memory serves. To get to the numbers keyboard swipe from the Swype key to the t(5) key
Hope that helps

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

StupidGenius

Reaction score

There is another very similar and highly recommended keyboard call SwiftKey. I used Swype for a time, but ended up switching to this. The predictive text function is extremely good.

OP
antaine

antaine

Reaction score
I'm game to try it as long as it has all four of these features:
Swype-like typing
symbols and numbers and accent marked letters available on long press of regular letters
good voice-to-text
arrow keys for cursor navigation.

Does it?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Swiftkey does have a swiping capability called Flow on their keyboard. It's got ask the do dads of Swype but you get to them differently. The biggest advantage to swiftkey is it learns what you normally input and does a very good job of predicting the next word, which you can tap, instead of having to input it. Swype, in the Play store version, has come a long way but still isn't up to swiftkey prediction accuracy.
I've got Swype, Swiftkey, SlideIt, Ultra Keyboard and Google keyboard that all support sliding (aka gesture typing) but prefer Swype over them all because of how it can get things besides gesture typing done. Try sliding from the Swype key to a key (select all) ,x key (cut) ,c key (copy) or v key (paste). I use those gestures a ton
SlideIT had update recently that went quite a way in their sliding accuracy. I really like it's long press the 123 key to get to a bunch of gesture shortcuts by sliding to them but Swype is still my favorite.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here I've shrunk the keyboard to make it easier to slide for me and took a screenshot of the gestures that open when holding the 123 key then slide from it to the one you want. Next word prediction isn't anywhere near Swifkey but the sliding accuracy is better than Flow imo.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377733606792.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377733606792.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 191
OP
antaine

antaine

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That's not really what I'm looking for, though. I'm happy with the one I've got and my parents will never figure out how to use those bells and whistles.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That's not really what I'm looking for, though. I'm happy with the one I've got and my parents will never figure out how to use those bells and whistles.

Hence, why I prefer Swype. It's the easiest to gesture. I use copy and paste mostly and frequently.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Swiftkey has the arrow keys, you need to go into settings. It's in the Play store.

a3u6e8a7.jpg

vusunuru.jpg

from my spanking new Samsung Note 2

OP
antaine

antaine

Reaction score
Thanks, that might work. I'll test it out on my phone before I recommend it to them.

OP
antaine

antaine

Reaction score
OH MY GOD, IT HAS SIMULTANEOUS PREDICTIVE TEXT IN BOTH ENGLISH AND IRISH GAELIC...**AND IT WORKS!!!!!**

That is about the most fantastic thing I have yet seen in an app. Yes. This is my new keyboard.