What is the most hackable android phone?

trook

Reaction score
I bought my D2 the day it came out after a bad motorola backflip experience, after owning the nearly unhackable backflip I developed a hacking complex and a half hackable droid 2 was and still is a welcome change thanks to the great devs we have. I dont think my droid 2 is gonna last more than a few more months, I'm kinda rough on it. I figure since I must get something new eventually, I want my next phone to be a hackers dream, I want to be able to do anything I want, even if it bricks, I dont want a locked bootloader, but I also want an android phone that has the most rom options around, aside from the og droid and the nexus, which phone is the most hackable with the largest dev following?

This post may not belong here but this is my home and I trust these guys. I want to know what the droid 2 community thinks.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The Thunderbolt that is going to be coming out should have a very large backing of dev support. It has an unlocked bootloader. I plan on getting it my self.

jimmydene84

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt that is going to be coming out should have a very large backing of dev support. It has an unlocked bootloader. I plan on getting it my self.

Not trying to hijack this thread just a quick question....I haven't been keeping up with all the TB hype. When it gets here, it gets here. But it WILL have an unlocked bootloader??
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

GSXRADDICT

Reaction score
Thunderbolt has already been rooted and not even released I think that's gonna be my next phone as well. I have been all about the bionic but with possible locked bootloader can't have all the hacking fun taken away.

*Droid Life*

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Not trying to hijack this thread just a quick question....I haven't been keeping up with all the TB hype. When it gets here, it gets here. But it WILL have an unlocked bootloader??

Yes the Tbolt will have an unlocked bootloader. And it has already been rooted.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Still the greatest. The Original Droid. :)

While this is true if you want the latest tech the tbolt seems the way to go.

We can't recommend something that may or may not exist, can we? ;)

Let's try and stick with what we have out now. And OP you're right this thread doesn't belong here. It should be in the Droid General Discussion or Droid Hacks.

OP
trook

trook

Reaction score
I know it doesnt belong here, but I have have come to know, trust, and value the droid 2 communities opinion. I'm speaking in a right now kind of sense. If my phone were to break right this second, what should I get,aside from the og droid and nexus. If the thread becomes too large or a problem then I will respect any descision the moderators will make.

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Most hackable android phone.... iphone running idroid :p haha.

No but really its probably the htc incredible or some other htc phone.

Sent From My Droid Without Spell Checker

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most hackable android phone.... iphone running idroid :p haha.

No but really its probably the htc incredible or some other htc phone.

Sent From My Droid Without Spell Checker

again, the iphone is no where near as 'hackable' as android. just because you prefer the method of how hacks are applied does not validate your belief.
can you load custom kernels, revamp the whole OS? etc .... no

not to mention most of the 'hacks' for iphone are to add features that are standard with android. (everyone mentions the notification bar, or widgets, or changing backgrounds)

don't take this out of context, the iphone is great and as a stock device is king of the hill, but it's not open source so it'll never be as 'hackable' as android until source code is available.

miketoasty

Reaction score
I don't know which is the most hackable but basically anything with an unlocked bootloader. Im personally going with the Droid incredible in june to replace my current droid 2. The tbolt sounds cool and is what I may get unless they decide to charge extra for 4g which would cause me to go the dinc route.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Craiger22

Reaction score
My vote is for the OG droid. It is a little dated now, but it is still a very solid phone, unlocked bootloader, and still a ton of devs working on it.

Even though the X has a locked bootloader, you can still do almost anything you want with it using bootstrap.

The thunderbolt sounds great to some, but I personally don't think it's battery is big enough to keep up with it. And with dual cores on the horizon it will be a thing of the past in a month or so.

The Bionic may be a good choice in the future, dual core, ddr2 ram, and large battery. Especially if they take the route they did with the xoom and have a dev option to unlock the bootloader.

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
The droid 1 has less people working on it then you might think, most people have moved on to better phones.
I'm still going to say a htc phone, most htc phones already running the latest kernel, like the G1 has the 2.6.37 kernel before we do... now that's hackable.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

phrozen087

Reaction score
I'd probably say either an HTC or Samsung phone right now. While the Thunderbolt looks nice (and it has been announced now) I personally am hoping that a good Tegra 2 device comes out with an unlocked bootloader. I have a D2 right now, and am hoping that maybe by this fall or the end of the year some phones with specs like the Xoom are on shelves.