What's the newest Android phone that'll give me the same freedom as the Droid 1?

Ricapar

Reaction score
I totally loved the Droid 1 - it had everything I wanted in terms of hackability. Pretty much every ROM had a version for it, no locked bootloader BS, etc. You could do pretty much anything.

I "upgraded" to the Droid 2 Global when my upgrade time came around, thinking I could get all the same luxuries as before... but that didn't quite turn out as planned.

I had some issues with the Droid 2 Global, and I'm getting a replacement in the mail now. I'm thinking of taking that one, boxed and all, and selling it online somewhere for monies to put towards a phone that is truly mine to modify.

Out of the most recent phones out there... Which one would give me the closest experience to the Droid 1 in terms of hacks/mods/custom ROMs/etc?

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Out of android phones would be the Nexus S but thats not on Vz. I guess the xoom is in the same area... Also If you stick to Htc phones they usually get hacked and have a good community. Motorola has caged beasts in their bootloader, they have yet to be slain.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Pick an HTC phone..... I'd go for the T-bolt if i wasnt stuck in my d2g till christmas of next year. One things for sure, i refuse to buy another Moto phone after the stuff they started yesterday and today with attacking dev teams.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pick an HTC phone..... I'd go for the T-bolt if i wasnt stuck in my d2g till christmas of next year. One things for sure, i refuse to buy another Moto phone after the stuff they started yesterday and today with attacking dev teams.

Have i missed this... Where is said stuff? me wants a look.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

Have i missed this... Where is said stuff? me wants a look.

They've gotten both Team Defuse and Team GRD's site shut down for copyright infringement, had WoZzY's megaupload account temp-banned for it, and had his paypal account (our donate link) frozen for "accepting payment for copyrighted materials". Its over in the GRD subforum though.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I have to ask again, why are they pulling an infringement stunt for the droid 2 global, but not the droid1, 2, pro, or x?

Having a D2G myself I am with you on this, come christmas of next year I may well never buy motorola again unless they clean up this act.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yea that's crazy i love my d1 and was never like a huge fan of htc but looks like i might have to reconsider especially if they're going to continue to lock their phones down. HTC might be in my future it seems

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea that's crazy i love my d1 and was never like a huge fan of htc but looks like i might have to reconsider especially if they're going to continue to lock their phones down. HTC might be in my future it seems
even htc is lockin down lately. We might all be forced to go with those cheap imitation phones from china to get an unlocked device in the future. Future looks so grim...:icon_eek:

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Don't even say that ha we'll just need to come up with some nice ways of breaking in and get some people on the inside as well ha

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

bgener

Reaction score
The tbolt is unfortunately all locked up. But I have been hacking away at my coworkers mt4g and that 1800mhz kernel looks like something. Also all the new LG phones (like the 3d one) are totally unlocked. They should all have cyanogen support by day one

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
The tbolt is unfortunately all locked up.

Where have you been? its signed, not encrypted. That means that its only got a little padlock (thats already been gotten around.... theyre waiting on HTC to release the kernel source still though) compared to the full safe equivalent on Moto's phones.

coreymm324

Reaction score
I'm getting a replacement in the mail now. I'm thinking of taking that one, boxed and all, and selling it online somewhere for monies to put towards a phone that is truly mine to modify.

eBay my man, i do it everytime i get a new phone. once you start that cycle, you really dont ever pay much for a phone at all again. just keep recycling the monayyy.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
This is why I left Motorola for HTC. I love my OG Droid and I'm still using it on a third line next to my Thunderbolt but, the way Motorola is treating those of us who like to root - they themselves (in a twitter post) told us to go elsewhere. So, that's what I did :). I've told hundreds of other people the same that I know. Their loss. They alienate people like me, people like me that a lot of other people come to for IT questions/suggestions, they lose out :).

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
thunderbolt is pretty much blown wide open already... strong dev community building behind it as well

it's a great device

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yea and I've already seen a rom for the tbolt still waiting on the bionic since my plans not up yet but may have to get a tbolt if the bionic ends up being extremely locked down