What is the easiest, most reliable way to root/unroot an Android 2.3 phone?

Rocky

Reaction score
Hello,

Hopefully that's available already: a no-brainer, right way to do it.

I'm just concerned about the possibility of bricking my Droid III. Even if the instructions are clear enough, there's a chance of running into something unclear in the midst of the process.

I've read about the One-click root, but I don't know if that's as easy as it gets (as of today) and whether it's an undoable hack.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Rocky

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
I was also wondering if rooting affects in any way the phone when any updates are available. I consider that important.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
The name implies it's ease of use, though for me it was technically two click as I used the unroot feature first, then root. As to question two, it will only have issues if you wipe the factory bloatware, which I did. Just have to plan on SBFing if you remove it instead of freezing.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
The name implies it's ease of use, though for me it was technically two click as I used the unroot feature first, then root.
Sorry, what rooting method was this? Is it the one you consider best?

As to question two, it will only have issues if you wipe the factory bloatware, which I did. Just have to plan on SBFing if you remove it instead of freezing.
Maybe, then, I'll just freeze'em with TB (Titanium Backup). Thanks for that tip.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
I think I'm about to go with the "One click" rooting method available on the web. It seems like it can be reversed, in case that's needed.

Hopefully someone can confirm this is a good decision, since I'll be starting in a few minutes, as soon as I digest the process.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
i only strss u have a back up BEFORE u attempt to root. know what file to get if /when u need to SBF back to original.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
i only strss u have a back up BEFORE u attempt to root. know what file to get if /when u need to SBF back to original.
I didn't back up a thing and I think I'm already in the midst of rooting. I ignore how to back up everything that's in my phone, or at least what's most important.

I'm getting a couple of errors on my PC anyway. Maybe it's the same as not doing anything so far.

I was referring to the Droid 3 One Click Root program.
I see. That's what I'm trying to use. And there's a couple of versions (if not more) of the same procedure, i.e.: How to Root Motorola Droid Bionic, Droid X2, Droid 3 on Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread | iMobilePost and http://www.imobilepost.com/2011/09/how-to-root-motorola-droid-bionic-droid.html

One was seemingly working (the talkandroid.com one) but nothing happened, while the other gave me an error message ("ADB.EXE and other support files..." missing).

Now I'm a little frustrated, but at least the phone's still acting like a healthy, young pup.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Actually, after extracting files and whatnot, something's going on. Rebooting for the first time. Please wish me luck.

(This seems more like a Diary now!)

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
None of the two rooting programs seems to detect my phone. After many attempts I'm about to throw in the towel for today. Bah!

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Did you download the MotoHelper drivers?
Yes, there was a 32 and a 64 [bit?] one, but the bigger one couldn't be installed (I'm pretty sure) because of a processor (my PC's?) not supporting it or something. My PC isn't that old school -- or is it?

At some point everything seemed to be going fine, but then apparently the PC couldn't detect my Charge only-connected phone.

I gave up on it for today. I'm a few sips away (some of protein-enhanced milk and a some oatmeal cookie) away from my bedtime.

Thanks, though, for showing concern.

Good night.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Strange. If you're on Vista you may have to wait a minute for it to recognize your phone as I've had issues on that end. Other than that if the Moto M shows up in your taskbar tray normally then One Click shoudl be able to see your phone without issue.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Strange. If you're on Vista you may have to wait a minute for it to recognize your phone as I've had issues on that end. Other than that if the Moto M shows up in your taskbar tray normally then One Click shoudl be able to see your phone without issue.
I've been using a Windows XP laptop, which worked just fine when rooting my D2. I think I waited more than a couple of minutes so it could "find" my phone. Same thing happened on two similar versions of that OneClick root.

I don't know if I've got a crappy processor that can't handle that other 64 (bit?) download. I'll probably try again till Sunday, since I can't risk bricking my phone on work days (glup!).

Sometimes one has questions on even the simplest instructions, as you see.

Thanks again.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I know anything I've used that is bit-specific I've used the 32-bit version of. Again, I'm on Vista, and if you're on XP trying to run a 64-bit version that may indeed be the cause of your issue.