Root + 2.01 vs. OTA update 2.01 - PLEASE ADVISE!

Oohyeah

Reaction score
OK, so I'm still not entirely clear about the ramifications of rooting the Milestone (I know I want to root it cos I want to overclock - overclock discussion here ), so now I'm unclear concerning the different ways to get to 2.01 (which I want too, obviously).

These seem to be my options:

A. Root my 2.0 now, apply the 2.01 patch, then overclock

B. Get the OTA update and upgrade to 2.01 the official way, root it, then overclock

So my questions:

1. What's the difference (if any) between the 2.01 that I would get from method A (via root + hack) and method B (official)? If B version is better, is there/will there be a patch for method A people?

2. For Method B (official 2.01 upgrade), can I still follow the same rooting instructions that came out for 2.0, or do I have to wait for a new rooting process specially designed for 2.01 users? (I am guessing that if you apply the current/old root instructions then you end back up with 2.0, right?)

3. What are the other pros and cons? In particular, in relation to:

- Ease of doing it for a rooting newbie like myself;
- my wanting to overclock
- my wanting to upgrade to 2.1 etc when available

Thanks all!

Last edited:
OP
Oohyeah

Oohyeah

Reaction score
2. For Method B (official 2.01 upgrade), can I still follow the same rooting instructions that came out for 2.0, or do I have to wait for a new rooting process specially designed for 2.01 users? (I am guessing that if you apply the current/old root instructions then you end back up with 2.0, right?)

After doing a lot more reading around this and other Forums, I think I have this question answered.

Right now, if I update to 2.01 via OTA, then I will NOT be able to root it yet because no one has created a root based on 2.01 Milestone as of today.

(The current Milestone root file will not work on an OTA-updated 2.01, so it's not even a question of it reverting back to 2.0.)

Right?

And if so, how likely/unlikely will a root for OTA-updated 2.01's be made available?

In any case, if I want to overclock, then it seems like I only have 1 option available to me right now, which is to root my 2.0 and then overclock.

BUT (and this is where I'm still confused): can someone please confirm whether I can get 2.01 from a rooted 2.0 Milestone?

I THINK that it's possible, but then it seems there are different 2.01's floating around - HK version, UK version, etc. etc. Where do we find them? Does it matter?

Maybe one day after I've clarified everything I'll write a summary of all that I've learned, including how to root, what to consider, etc. for Milestone users. Hope you guys can help in the meantime!

big_adventure

Reaction score
You are going to brick your phone. Seriously. Try "searching" a little.

OK, you can, with not too much downside, install the 1.14 2.0.1 HK sbf file onto your phone, and then root it with the existing "known" 2.0 root. Yes, it works perfectly on the HK ROM. I have published a long howto on this on Alldroid. That leaves you with a couple of "non-optomized" functions, but, keep searching, and you'll find some solutions.

You can even do this to a non-root 2.0.1 phone that has been updated OTA. I know, because I installed the OTA update and still managed to "get out of it". Search "big_adventure" on alldroid - I don't have time to get the link for you. I even reposted it here.

Now, on to the overclocking subject. YOU CANNOT at this time. We can't change the 'stone's kernel, so we can't overclock. We won't be able to change the Milestone kernel until we figure out a way to replace or modify the phone's bootloader, OR if we get our hands on Motorola's private key. If we can't change the kernel, we can't overclock.

OP
Oohyeah

Oohyeah

Reaction score
Thank you!!

Thanks for your reference to AllDroid - I think the post you were referring to is this one:

AllDroid - View topic - Non-root 2.0.1 to root 2.0.1

Very helpful and clear, though it took a few times to read to understand enough of all the technical stuff.

So, it looks like the conclusion for me is to go ahead with the OTA 2.01 update, especially since I'm in Hong Kong, reason being:

- right now I can't overclock so that takes away the main reason for rooting it;
- And even if I wanted to root in the future, it's possible to get to root with the HK 2.01

PS - I did search, just not on Alldroid :)

big_adventure

Reaction score
Thank you!!

Thanks for your reference to AllDroid - I think the post you were referring to is this one:

AllDroid - View topic - Non-root 2.0.1 to root 2.0.1

Very helpful and clear, though it took a few times to read to understand enough of all the technical stuff.

So, it looks like the conclusion for me is to go ahead with the OTA 2.01 update, especially since I'm in Hong Kong, reason being:

- right now I can't overclock so that takes away the main reason for rooting it;
- And even if I wanted to root in the future, it's possible to get to root with the HK 2.01

PS - I did search, just not on Alldroid :)

It should work out just fine. Though, to be honest, it looks like the HK OTA update is about the same version (both 1.14) as the "leaked" SBF. Also, without root, you won't be able to fix the HORRIBLE web browser in the 1.14 version. I would call it almost unusable.

Good luck!

OP
Oohyeah

Oohyeah

Reaction score
But I never use the stock browser cos I find Dolphin much better, so I guess that doesn't matter?

big_adventure

Reaction score
But I never use the stock browser cos I find Dolphin much better, so I guess that doesn't matter?

Sorry, not in this case. Dolphin uses the same web framework, so basic problems with the framework will affect both of them equally. Again, I have a thread, but...

1.03 browser (2.0) - no text auto-wrap, but fast action and scrolling.

1.14 browser (2.0.1 HK) - no text auto-wrap, AND slow scrolling action. Better rendering, but...

1.15 browser (2.0.1 French) text auto-wrap (Yeah!), better rendering but slow-scrolling. Need root to install it on 2.0.1 HK

Droid 2.0.1 Multitouch browser from Steve on Alldroid - text auto-wrap, FAST scrolling, less pretty on 'stone, settings crashes on 'stone, need root to install, and you lose bookmarks going back and forth with this and default Milestone browsers (1.14 and 1.15 at least).