Overclocking your Milestone to >1Ghz!

Oohyeah

Reaction score
So I've heard that the Droid now can get overclocked to 1.1GHz:

All I wanna do is zooma-zoom-zoom: Overclocking the Droid

This was when I started to really get interested in rooting the Milestone. Looking at the very helpful "How To Root Your Milestone" thread and the rooting video, it seems that overclocking has been possible for the Milestone too.

So, my questions:

1. How do I overclock my Milestone? Do the overclock instructions for the Droid work the same for the Milestone?

2. Have any of you overclocked it, and if so, to what speed, and what do you think of the speed increase?

3. I understand that once the 2.01 update hits, we lose root. Does that mean we lose our overclocking ability too? Anyone has an overclocked Milestone running 2.01 and if so, how?

Thanks!

Dragone

Reaction score
1. How do I overclock my Milestone? Do the overclock instructions for the Droid work the same for the Milestone?
You don't. This only works with the Droid

2. Have any of you overclocked it, and if so, to what speed, and what do you think of the speed increase?
You have to ask that to someone who ownes a Droid, but that's a good question. I also woud like to now.

3. I understand that once the 2.01 update hits, we lose root. Does that mean we lose our overclocking ability too? Anyone has an overclocked Milestone running 2.01 and if so, how?
No, i have 2.0.1 with root.

droid d'oh

Reaction score
1. It is working with some milestone roms, I am not sure about the device itself, see here for more information:AllDroid - View topic - Droid is stable at 800MHz. Nuff said

2. I am running the 800 MHz mod with my droid and it works around the smoothness of an iPhone with all apps, no lag especially with emulation on Marvel vs. Capcom on the CPS 2 emulator. With power management kicking in for SetCPU at 550 MHz at 50% battery I can expect to get 60-70% normal battery life with normal usage, as I tested today.

3. Once you have root never update through your carrier, use nandroid or a custom rom. In my experience it usually has more features and support, and as a bonus once the carrier updates come out the forum here or at alldroid will usually have a patch for our roms with the updates within 1-5 days, and you can keep root.

OP
Oohyeah

Oohyeah

Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

Droid D'oh, are you saying that the instructions on AllDroid for overclocking apply to the Milestone too? Is that what you used?

Your last comment now has me wondering about how to go about getting 2.01:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...ot-2-01-vs-ota-update-2-01-please-advise.html
(would be grateful for your input there too).

Has anyone else overclocked your Milestone? What's your experience?

big_adventure

Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

Droid D'oh, are you saying that the instructions on AllDroid for overclocking apply to the Milestone too? Is that what you used?

Your last comment now has me wondering about how to go about getting 2.01:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...ot-2-01-vs-ota-update-2-01-please-advise.html
(would be grateful for your input there too).

Has anyone else overclocked your Milestone? What's your experience?

You cannot overclock a milestone, at least, not yet. To overclock, you have to modify the kernel. The problem is that the default bootloader checks the signature of the kernel, and won't load anything that isn't signed by Moto. And we can't load a modified bootloader because that also has to be signed, and we don't have Motorola's private key to do so.

Having root access is nice, but we're not quite up to the freedom Droid users enjoy just yet.

OP
Oohyeah

Oohyeah

Reaction score
Thanks very much, Big Adventure!

But I just looked at the How To Root video again:

[video=youtube;9Hc20WMlV8U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hc20WMlV8U[/video]

It seems like he could overclock it with the overclock widget installed (on his rooted 2.0) - see from 8m 54s. So do you mean that we can only overclock a 2.0 and not a 2.01?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much, Big Adventure!

But I just looked at the How To Root video again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hc20WMlV8U

It seems like he could overclock it with the overclock widget installed (on his rooted 2.0) - see from 8m 54s. So do you mean that we can only overclock a 2.0 and not a 2.01?

It is impossible to overclock the Milestone right now. You could download the SetCPU app from the market, but you won't be able to go over the standard 550 mhz. You can set profiles to underclock it (which saves battery). As someone above said, the Milestone uses a signed kernel. If you try to install one of the kernels for overclocking, the phone will not start because it will not see the required signature.

big_adventure

Reaction score
It is impossible to overclock the Milestone right now. You could download the SetCPU app from the market, but you won't be able to go over the standard 550 mhz. You can set profiles to underclock it (which saves battery). As someone above said, the Milestone uses a signed kernel. If you try to install one of the kernels for overclocking, the phone will not start because it will not see the required signature.

What he said. No overclock on the 'stone. We HOPE it will be possible one day, but we don't KNOW that it will ever be possible, because it is entirely possible that Motorola didn't make any mistakes in their implementation of their signature check.

To review -

1. Can't flash new bootloader because the flash won't work if the bootloader fails a signature check.

AND

2. Can't load a new kernel because the bootloader checks the signature before loading it.

Since 1 is true, we can't get around 2. Yet.

pcphobic

Reaction score
So easy to Root & Overclock Motorola Milestone

So easy to Root & Overclock Motorola Milestone
[youtube]eoG0NCVZHeM[/youtube]
[video=youtube;eoG0NCVZHeM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoG0NCVZHeM]YouTube - How To Root and Overclock the Motorola Milestone Android Phone[/video]

JoKeR2010

Reaction score
i have a motorolla milestone there is an overclovk ptogram on the market it is called milestone overclock but it only allows you 800mhz

TheNamek

Reaction score
i have a motorolla milestone there is an overclovk ptogram on the market it is called milestone overclock but it only allows you 800mhz

Eh? I played with it earlier and I swear 1200MHz was available on the slider. Didn't try it tho as I didn't want it to lock up n crash on me. 800MHz didn't seem that much different to me. I'm keeping it stock to conserve power.

Sent from my Milestone using DroidForums App