What is the deal with the Music Player on the Droid?

nateccnn

Reaction score
I keep seeing posts about how horrible the Music app is on the Droid. How much betetr the iPod app is. But I am very confussed (I'm a simple person so give me a little slack). I put a CD on my Droid's SD card. I open the Music app and it shows that album in the list of available music. I tap that album and it gives me a list of songs. I tap a song I like and it suddenly begins to play. At the end of the song it starts playing the next song (assuming I have it set that way of course). What the frick else do you people need from this thing? LOL

Now...I've never touched an iPod or iPhone so I don't really know what it is being compared to. But come on./..what does the iPod do that makes it so freakin incredible? Does the band come out of the device and start partying with you? I don't get it.

So tell me what I am missing so I can be discouraged too.

Nate

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
People are complaining not just about the features, but about the interface. The iPhone is much more elegant. Of course people need to remember that the iPhone is an MP3 player with a phone in it. The Droid is a phone with an MP3 player in it. That is wy the Droid is a better phone and the iPhone is a better MP3 player. However, I agree that the Droid MP3 player does everything I need as well.

iPirate

Reaction score
ipod-hero-20100607.png

iphone-music-player.jpg

vs

devicetc.png

I have no idea, the Android music app looks more usable and provides more options...
Looks like they lost some on screen options for the iphone4 lollllllllllllllllll

From now on anyone that says the Android music app sucks is not worth listening to, unless they provide a good reason.

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's very simple: different people have different needs/wants. If you're happy with the stock music player then why does it matter if others aren't?

Personally, I prefer 3/Cubed.

If you're truly curious then check out the alternatives. As with anything in life, you're not going to fully grasp the benefits of the alternatives (and if they're even relevant to you) without any experience with them. Think about how you determine what you do and don't like in other areas of your life. Don't you determine your favorite foods by eating them? Don't you choose the cars that you like by driving them?

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is Android. If you don't like a stock app on the phone there's basically a 100% guarantee there's an alternative on the market. I have nothing against people not liking the stock music player. I do think it's funny when people (not you, OP) rant and complain about it when there's plenty of free alternatives, including some that are basically clones of the iPhone.

Only reason I got BTunes is because it has lock screen controls.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's very simple: different people have different needs/wants. If you're happy with the stock music player then why does it matter if others aren't?

Personally, I prefer 3/Cubed.

If you're truly curious then check out the alternatives. As with anything in life, you're not going to fully grasp the benefits of the alternatives (and if they're even relevant to you) without any experience with them. Think about how you determine what you do and don't like in other areas of your life. Don't you determine your favorite foods by eating them? Don't you choose the cars that you like by driving them?

Exactly. My personal experience is that my old iPod classic and my previous 3Gs both had better sound quality than my Droid. It's not drastic, but I'm nit picky when it comes to my sound quality. I've also experienced quirky things on the Droid that never happed on the ipod/phone... one such example is downloading an album from amazon mp3 and it won't consolidate when I sort by albums. It lists all the songs out individually by artist then album (yes I double checked the meta data and ID3 tags). Not a huge deal, but when I'm driving on a road trip with my wife and two young kids and we're desperately trying to get the Jungle Book soundtrack to play, it created a bit of a headache.

The biggest benefit with the 3GS, for me since I do most of my listening while driving, was the voice control... I could hold down that home button (even when locked) and tell it to play whatever song, artist, album, playlist, genre, change songs, "play songs like", etc... it was extremely convenient and safe while driving. Choice Dialer for Android does a pretty good job of incorporating these functions, but it's not quite as streamlined and the phone has to be unlocked to use it obviously.

All of that said, I love my Droid and the music player is sufficient given the tradeoffs in other areas... for me. ;)

Last edited:

pbbgso

Reaction score
My gripe isn't necessarily with the stock music app, but with the playback of music in general on the Droid. I wish there was an equalizer function so I could tweak the mix of the different ranges (i.e. low, mid, high).

butch350

Reaction score
My gripe isn't necessarily with the stock music app, but with the playback of music in general on the Droid. I wish there was an equalizer function so I could tweak the mix of the different ranges (i.e. low, mid, high).

It's just a PHONE not a music studio.

pbbgso

Reaction score
It's just a PHONE not a music studio

If that's the way you feel about it why didn't you just get a RAZR? This, my friend, is much more than "just a phone".

JoeeDB

Reaction score
Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm surprised I haven't heard more about how terrible the "shuffle" with this music player is. Normally when you turn a music player on shuffle, you hear each song 1 time randomly until all the music has been played. With the droid, I'll hear the same song 2-3 times before hearing other songs, sometimes with only one song being played inbetween (this is with about 60-70 songs on my droid also).

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
apple owns the mp3 market so they will draw all comparisons to an iPod. the interface on an iPod is very easy to use and therefore everyone is expecting all mp3 interface to be like an iPod.

I personally hate the iPod. I am not a fan at all of it's scrolling features in a circular motion, and hate iTunes. Yes i may be a bias, but Apple isn't as great as everyone makes it out to be. The interface is easy to use, no doubt, but it's not revolutionary like everyone makes it to be.

I do give them credit for making the "mp3 player boom" and making smartphones mainstream. Without them, I wonder where smartphones would be today.

dwagner88

Reaction score
Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm surprised I haven't heard more about how terrible the "shuffle" with this music player is. Normally when you turn a music player on shuffle, you hear each song 1 time randomly until all the music has been played. With the droid, I'll hear the same song 2-3 times before hearing other songs, sometimes with only one song being played inbetween (this is with about 60-70 songs on my droid also).

I used that feature today for the first time (I normally just use Pandora for random music). It really sucks. It tried to play 5 songs in a row from the same album. I have nearly 700 songs on the phone.

etx_droid

Reaction score

I used that feature today for the first time (I normally just use Pandora for random music). It really sucks. It tried to play 5 songs in a row from the same album. I have nearly 700 songs on the phone.

I use MixZing and I really don't have this issue. I've tried a lot of players but have been using MixZing for a good while now...I think it's functionally the best player on Android.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I organize my music in folders and Mort Player is the best for playing folders , and for albums I'm using MixZing , IMO way better than the iPhone interface .