Software to play MP3's from Droid on Computer?

JasperGretsch

Reaction score
Aside from doing the Headphone -> Line In route or mounting the USB and playing the files that way, is there any software I can use to play the music from my Droid on computer, similar to how one would use iTunes to play stuff off their iPod?

All my music came from my iPod so all the file names are encrypted, though I have DoubleTwist and that sorted everything into artist/album directories. The only problem is that the song name information even though it's in the ID tag, doesn't come up in a lot of media players, so they're not much of an option either.

I'm really looking for a "Plug in the Droid, load the software, software recognizes the device and gives me the full list of music" deal. DoubleTwist can do it but it takes FOREVER. Either that, or is there something that will recognize the full ID tags despite the encrypted file names so I can at least play the files in each album folder and know what song it is I'm playing?

Thanks!

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not sure what you are asking for here...are you asking for a program that will wirelessly connect your computer to your droid to play the music?

OP
J

JasperGretsch

Reaction score
Not sure what you are asking for here...are you asking for a program that will wirelessly connect your computer to your droid to play the music?

No it doesn't have to be wireless. I'm just looking for something that will allow me to plug the Droid into the computer and will access and read the MP3's so I can play them on the computer.

As I said, I know you can just play them manually through file manager off of the SD card, but because alot of my files have encrypted file names, even though I set the ID tags I have no idea what songs I'm playing. I'd like a program similar to iTunes which could act as a media player for the files. DoubleTwist works, but it takes forever to load all of my files.

BCrawford

Reaction score
Unless you are really pressed for HD space on your computer, the best option would just be to move the MP3's to your computer. This would solve your issues, unless this is a computer that you cannot load personal files onto(work computer).

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are also a few apps out there that will let you stream from your phone with a uPnP/DLNA server....

I'm not sure there's an explicit solution for the OP, since you're not dealing with anything but a traditional SD card. You should try making sure the ID3 tags are correct on all of the files.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, just move them to the computer's hard drive.

I think you could probably also turn on blue tooth and then access the droid's music folder...Seems like you should be able to add that folder to your music players on the computer.

CsonkaBear

Reaction score
I think I misunderstood the initial question. After helping a friend transfer all of his I-Tunes files to his new laptop I decided I-Tunes is crap. It literally corrupts your mp3 files as it retags them.

I love my Droid. It's more Windows friendly. I've gradually gotten away from mp3 type software that changes the formatting of my files.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I misunderstood the initial question. After helping a friend transfer all of his I-Tunes files to his new laptop I decided I-Tunes is crap. It literally corrupts your mp3 files as it retags them.

I love my Droid. It's more Windows friendly. I've gradually gotten away from mp3 type software that changes the formatting of my files.

Got to disagree with you about iTunes. I've been using it for years and I don't buy a thing off of it. I purchase most of my music at Amazon. iTunes is absolutely great. And because I have Airport Express I can not only play my rather extensive music collection on my sound system, I can play anything else that iTunes has to offer, like radio stations, you name it.

Corrupt your mp3 files? If something is corrupting your mp3 files it isn't iTunes.