What is the best method of charging the phone?

Reaction score
I am having trouble with the phone charging. When the phone is plugged in it will not charge. Unless you find a sweet spot by jiggling in around a bit. The light will be on (orange charging light) but the actual percentage will not increase. I think the jack in the phone is loose. I brought it to the Verizon store and the person in the Tech department said that the problem might be the battery and that we are "Overcharging it" she said never to leave the phone charging over night because it will "overcharge" the battery or something. This doesn't make much sense to me because I don't know anyone who DOESN'T charge there phone over night. Why should it damage the battery if the phone stays plugged in once it has reached 100%. I asked her how I SHOULD be charging the phone and she replied for ONLY 4 HOURS AT A TIME. I don't know how most people charge there phone but it seems strange to me that I cant let the phone charge when i go to bed at night so when I wake up it will be at 100%. Is this true or are they Bull**itting me. I don't want to wait 4 hours before I go to bed for my phone to charge just to remove it from the charger and leave it on all night and have half battery by the morning or something.

Can someone tell me how to fix this phone. They are sending me a replacement but I just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions or advice on the best way to charge these phones. Its an Incredible 2

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't charge overnight, but that's BS. If the phone was overcharged, your battery life would be terrible and it wouldn't hold a charge long. It would still charge to 100% though.

X

OP
DigitalDroid57
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your opinions. i trust your opinions over those clueless verizon people.

ABQNM

Reaction score
Personally, I would avoid the stores. There are some exceptions, but for the most part the employees are overworked and will avoid exchanging the phone if at all possible. The easiest way is to just call customer service. They will do some troubleshooting, but if you explain what you have already done they will usually just send a replacement anyway.

As for the charging, everyone else is correct. The phone actually cuts off charging the battery when it is full at ~4.2V. The phone is then powered by the charger. There will be some parasitic drain from the device on the battery so the voltage will drop a little bit over time. The phone will wait until it is closer to ~4V to begin charging again. You will see the phone reporting 100% the whole time though. When you unplug the phone, if it is less than 4.2V, it will appear to discharge though the first 5-10% of your battery a bit quicker. This is an intentional error introduced in the code to prevent the phone from appearing to drop from 100% to say 95% as soon as you unplug it. That would cause complaints. This is also why manufacturers don't typically include the actual battery percentage in the battery bar, but instead use 10% (or 20%) increments. All of this is done to protect the battery from constant topping off and overcharging. The phone is much more intelligent than the Verizon employee you spoke with, unfortunately. Cheers.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The lady at the store is wrong, she is apparently living in the days of pre-lithium ion batteries, and in those days you really could over-charge a phone. ABQNM is right on with the post above me.

Darkpsycho

Reaction score
Actually there is still a way to overcharge a phone but its highly unrecommended because it will kill the battery life in the long run. But you aren't overcharging it so don't worry. Phones generally charge to the actual 95% not really 100% which is why the first 5-10% of a battery dies so quick.
To overcharge the phone battery is easily done by letting it charge to full "100%", turn the phone off then plug it back into the charger and it should charge for another 5 or 10 mins and keep unplugging and replugging it to get a completely full charge. I did it once to test the battery but i'd advise against it as it will kill your battery's life until you are one to buy a new one every once in a while.

sburke0817

Reaction score
I had the same problem....really annoying. Go to ebay and type in incredible 2 battery charger. Its a little square box u put ur battery into and plug in the wall. I got that and 2 extra batteries plus like 3 screen protectors for something like $12 and it works great. I never have to worry about finding somewhere to plug my phone into cuz i always have fully charged batteries. Hope this helps
Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
DigitalDroid57
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up everyone.

So I received the replacement in the mail. The charging port was pretty loose on the broken phone. You could hear it if you shake the phone so that was the issue. Plus they let me keep the 16GB memory card that was in the replacement phone. So I kind of sort of made out in this whole thing. Free 16GB SD card :biggrin:

nikecar

Reaction score
This moneing my phone was down to 16% after a charge all night. I was like WTH, and I checked the plug, the connections, and thought about these threads. I have to swap my Inc2 due to a bad pixel in the camera (but lazy) so I was determined to go to the store.

Then I looked at the breaker outlet on the other side of the bathroom where the wife plugs in her hairdryer. Pushed the reset button, replugged in the phone charger, and it worked. :hail: