What happens if I drop Verizon's service on my Droid?

dlthomas

Reaction score
I've become unemployed since getting my Droid, so I thought I would switch back to my Chocolate2 and save the $29.99/month data plan. Verizon said I could switch phones without a penalty, because I will still be on the contract.

Anyway, I am wondering if my Droid will become a brick without being tied to Verizon or if some of its capabilities will still work.

Will I be able to access email and the Market via WIFI? What about GPS, does the Droid actually talk to the satellites? I'm sure there are other things I am not thinking about right now, but this is a good starting point.

If I can't use the Droid at all without Verizon, will rooting change things?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you can't use the droid on verizon without a $29.99 data plan. you'll have to switch phones to use a lesser plan.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
having said that, you SHOULD be able to downgrade you plan without any penalty.

DeadlyAP1

Reaction score
You will not be able to use google maps or other navigation because the maps are downloaded on the fly via the 3G connection.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think his question was regarding what the phone can do if he drops away from the data plan.

Your phone should function the same regarding Wifi and GPS functionality****. You'll have access to the market and all that jazz.

*** Keep in mind that GPS/Map apps use the data network to download the maps, and you'll have lat/long capability, but no way to see any other part of the map.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your contract is your commitment with VZW, not the phone - so if you're going back to the Chocolate, you're fine, you're still committing to the 2 year agreement. You're free to sell your Droid or use it as a music player. I can't really think of much else you can do with one that is not activated on an account.

Techno Droid

Reaction score
I had the Chocolate before the Droid came out... I had about 1500 min (somewhere here), 250 text msg and nothing else and I was paying around 100$! I downgraded on my plan now. I went from 1500 mins to 900(you get 5 faves) and 500 text msg to 250. I not using visual voice mail or any other unneccessary features. I was paying about 135-7 a month and now 102-3! Try it might just work for you too. Bc without the data plan your droid is nothing! You can't give up your DROOOIIID!!!! I can't....

Reaction score
Verizon will not allow you to have the phone on a plan without data, its required

If you deactivate the phone wifi will still work as well as google maps and gps, but once you leave wifi maps will stop working since it cant access the servers to load em

regkilla

Reaction score
i only use my Droid on wi-fi and everything works like Google Maps, internet, all apps, and more. Talk and text dont work but it dont matter :D

Ferradinho

Reaction score
If you use it primarily on wifi you will still have basically all of the functionality you had before except calls and texts. I have an inactive droid I use as a home phone for my wife with google voice + gizmo5 over wifi and it works awesome for calls and everything...

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
*** Keep in mind that GPS/Map apps use the data network to download the maps, and you'll have lat/long capability, but no way to see any other part of the map.
Depends on the app. Some, such as CoPilot, store maps locally.

What about GPS, does the Droid actually talk to the satellites?
That's pretty much the definition of GPS. If it doesn't locate you using the GPS satellites, it isn't GPS. ;)

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
What about GPS, does the Droid actually talk to the satellites?
That's pretty much the definition of GPS. If it doesn't locate you using the GPS satellites, it isn't GPS. ;)

Actually, the Droid listens for the Satellites....Communication is one-way.

tomlist704

Reaction score
Verizon contract info

If you ask NICELY, they might allow you to keep your Moto Droid on a monthly plan without a data plan. As an example, one of my daughters dare's were stolen at the mall. I said I was not paying a 10 a month fee for internet which she does not need. Oh important point, you have to speak with customer loyalty, not verizon direct, this is a separate department, the one they send you to if they want to stop you from going to ATT or someone else. The telephone number is 888-483-5097. If I am wrong, ask for this department. Anyway, they allowed me to upgrade all three additional phones I had without having the mandated 10 a month internet access. If they wont let you keep the droid on without Internet, because they do not want or can't, not sure. They should let you turn on your old phone without a problem and wave the fee. You can suspend your service all together, but I doubt this is an option. The Wifi does work without service, I have one here I just sold and I could use wifi. Good luck:icon_ banana: