What exactly is the purpose of Astro

krazzyjman

Reaction score
I have read multiple threads and people saying the use Astro File Manager as one of their most important apps. I know you can "manage files" but what exactly is the purpose of the app?
Thanks dancedroid

speedfreeq

Reaction score
Think of it as Windows Explorer for your Droid. Use it to navigate through your folders, move/ delete/ rename files, and otherwise manage the files in your system and sd card. It really only works to its potential if your phone is rooted.

-from a 1.2 GHz PEv4 Droid

speedfreeq

Reaction score
Sorry - didn't mean to sound douchey. What I meant by that was that you only have access to your user-installed files on the SD card unless you have superuser access. It's still a very useful app for cleaning out junk, moving music around, I even used it to create a media/audio/ringtones folder on the sdcard so my old blackberry ringtones would work.

-from a 1.2 GHz PEv4 Droid

agreco60

Reaction score
I must be doing something wrong then. I have tried Astro 3 times and finally got rid of it. If I plugged my DX into my computer to charge and when I unplugged it erased all my ringtones in my Contacts. I finally figured it out to be Astro. Uninstalled it, never happened again.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
If you are rooted you could have placed your custom ringtnes in your system directory using astro, or es file explorer and that will never happen again anyway. Usually that happens when your sd card becomes mounted to your computer and not your phone.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I must be doing something wrong then. I have tried Astro 3 times and finally got rid of it. If I plugged my DX into my computer to charge and when I unplugged it erased all my ringtones in my Contacts. I finally figured it out to be Astro. Uninstalled it, never happened again.
Running a task killer too?

BMWBig6

Reaction score
How does Astro compare to ES File Explorer? I see a lot of recommendations for that one too.

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Personally was using Astro when I first got my Droid... Now though I switched to Root Explorer. Find it easier to navigate for me, but to each his own. Astro is still a great app to have and has many options like backing up the apps and stuff, but again I use Titanium for whatever Root Explorer doesn't cover.

crazy206

Reaction score
Astro let's u veiw hidden files

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App