Astro Beta

darklipslide

Reaction score
I have no problems paying for Astro, but it just seems a little suspicious that the msg would pop up at a time like this, is all

mantis5

Reaction score
How is it suspicious? It has said all along (in the market) that that it is a beta that expires Mar. 31. :)

The previous version also expired, as a few have mentioned.

They may end up charging at some point. We'll see.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
How many versions of astro have you had that expired? I have had astro since November and none of them expired. Hope it's an April fools joke because I like the app backup feature.

Has anyone happened to think that PERHAPS, the reason for this is that in other cases the update has come out before the 3-day expiration warning started showing? And in this case, they've been slow to release an update? Hopefully, something will happen in the next couple of days.

EDIT: Metago's Twitter says a new version is coming out by tomorrow, so it looks like we've nothing to worry about. My above theory seems to be true. To Quote:

"A new version of the ASTRO File Manager will be out by March 30th...stay tuned! about 19 hours ago via web"

Last edited:

darklipslide

Reaction score
How many versions of astro have you had that expired? I have had astro since November and none of them expired. Hope it's an April fools joke because I like the app backup feature.

Has anyone happened to think that PERHAPS, the reason for this is that in other cases the update has come out before the 3-day expiration warning started showing? And in this case, they've been slow to release an update? Hopefully, something will happen in the next couple of days.

EDIT: Metago's Twitter says a new version is coming out by tomorrow, so it looks like we've nothing to worry about. My above theory seems to be true. To Quote:

"A new version of the ASTRO File Manager will be out by March 30th...stay tuned! about 19 hours ago via web"

Thanks Dave!

br91655

Reaction score
If you haven't tried EStrong File manager check it out. Supports FTP, network drives via UNC name and bluetooth file transfer.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
And we're good to go for another 2 months.......... Just as I expected!

EDIT: Now might be a good time to explain why things are done this way with beta code (expiration dates and the like).

It's simple really. When a program in the beta stage is released to the public en masse like Astro (or like Windows 7 was, for that matter) simply downloading and using it makes you a beta tester. The app most likely anonymously reports error data back to Metago, for the purpose of fixing bugs. So, they want everyone running the latest version. It does them no good to have repeated crash dumps from old builds coming in, since this particular version has already gone thru 2 months of testing. It's time for new code and fixes to be tested. Yes, it may break more than it fixes - that's why it is not suggested to rely on beta software for daily use. And that's also why the time limits are built in. If they force you to run (test) the new version, then you've really got no choice but to install the upgrade.

It might be a good time to mention that the Swype! beta is also time-limited, supposedly.

Last edited:

Shay D. Life

Reaction score
Yeah, the developer stated it yesterday via twitter that there would be an update prior to the ending of the beta.

However I must say....
omg, astro always expires. it'll just be an update in a couple days and then it'll say ends 4/31 or 5/31...its still free. stop with the ridiculous posts.

its not expiring. its not gonna be a paid app.

every version of astro has expired. once the update comes out it'll go for another 2-3 months and say beta expires 6/30 or whatever it'll be. but the uneducated can uninstall astro if they want, i couldnt care less. just know that nothing's changing once april comes around.

If that's the kind of help that you're giving...don't give any help. I didn't see anyone ask for you to personally answer. Not Cool!!!:angry: People like you are the reason that most members shy away from asking questions on public forums.

dfwdroid

Reaction score
its not expiring. its not gonna be a paid app.

every version of astro has expired. once the update comes out it'll go for another 2-3 months and say beta expires 6/30 or whatever it'll be. but the uneducated can uninstall astro if they want, i couldnt care less. just know that nothing's changing once april comes around.

ummm, mine says "This beta program will expire in 2 days."
not sure if i am able to read, can you read it for me ;)

kappadappa

Reaction score
OK - serious question here. Why do folks LOVE Astro so much? I used it and it was fine, but the UI seemed to require extraneous clicking. ES File Explorer was much better imho. I use Root Explorer now, so ditched them both. But I just don't understand the allure of Astro.