What Does It Mean to "Mount" An SD Card?

AshaB

Reaction score
So, what do I do when I plug my phone into my computer via the usb port and I do NOT get the message asking me if I would like to "mount" this device? I found this seemingly great little app called "itunes agent" which is suppose to let me put songs from my Itunes library into my phone via the usb port. I think the problem would be solved if only I got the message you mentioned when I plugged in my phone into the computer. Please advise. Thanks.

gsdreams

Reaction score
I guess no one bothered to look at the phone he is using.

HTC Droid Incredible uses the internal phone storage for "Everything" unless you change that. Most people don't even realize that.

Motorola Droid products save everything to the SD Card.

As for the iPhone comment, the SD Card is a big reason to purchase a droid over an iphone. I am getting a replacement Droid 2 Global on Tuesdy. When I move my SD Card and log into my google acct all my pictures, music, vidoes, etc... will be there, my txt messages will come back (sms backup + ), my contacts, etc...

My ipod touch 4g - warrantied 1 time - lost 4 apps and had to go circles to get them back from itunes because I purchased them on my ipod via wifi and hadn't recently synced. Let alone the fact I lost numerous pictures.

My iPod touch 4g primarily stays at home or in my car on the dock. I don't use it anymore because of this.

gsdreams

Reaction score
Unlike many Droid Phones, the Incredible splits the 8GB internal phone memory and leaves 6GB for user storage. Where the Motorla Droids don't even give you direct access to the internal memory on the phone.

By default when taking a picture with the incredible it stores to the internal phone storage instead of on the SD Card.
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

AshaB

Reaction score
I can see that you are bothered by the way the programs on the phones are set up, but, can you just give me specific instructions on how to get my phone to recognize the "itunes agent app" on my computer so that I can put music on my phone from my Itunes library? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AshaB

Reaction score
Oh, I didn't realize you were responding to another post. I was getting email messages saying that you were replying to my post.....No wonder I didn't know what you were talking about.

gsdreams

Reaction score
I can see that you are bothered by the way the programs on the phones are set up, but, can you just give me specific instructions on how to get my phone to recognize the "itunes agent app" on my computer so that I can put music on my phone from my Itunes library? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

On a Samsung phone I don't know if you can. As far as I know samsung hasn't put out any specific software for computers to sync, meaning you are relying on the computer itself.

I would recomend picking up a DRM removal software (there are many good ones) and then just converting them to a MP3 format and use the media player of your choice that recognizes your phone for sync.

For those with Motorola Phones Motorola has a software called "Medialink", but the songs again have to be DRM free to play on the phone.

As for those with HTC, I know HTC has a software for Sync, but I'm not sure what all it does.

AshaB

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch. I figured that I should just make things easy on myself and exported music from Itunes into Windows Media Player and from WMP I had no problem putting the music I wanted directly onto my phone.

martin smith

Reaction score
When you you mount it to the computer you will see two different drives, one is the internal memory of the phone, and one is the actual SD card. So if the pics arent in one drive then go to the next one.

gsdreams

Reaction score
When you you mount it to the computer you will see two different drives, one is the internal memory of the phone, and one is the actual SD card. So if the pics arent in one drive then go to the next one.

This is true, but the problem arises when the phone has an issue where it is dead or unable to connect to a computer and you can't access the files from the phone (i.e. dead screen, phone won't load, stuck at htc screen, etc...)

In these situations if you have not changed your setting from internal phone storage to SD Card then you will lose all pictures on the internal memory.

I'm not saying the phone is bad, I have just dealt with enough people in these situations that it leaves a bad taste that they can't recover their pictures, etc...