Mount/Unmount SD Card Procedure

Raeuber

Reaction score
SDrescan is great to add media to the music player, but it doesn't fix listings after they have been renamed. You have to deleted them off the SD card, run a rescan then add them again and do another scan. What a nuisance. Uninstalled the app........

cuskit

Reaction score
On my Mac, if I don't unmount (eject disc) first, and pull the plug - immediately a window pops up with "possible damaged data" etc. That's the least of it. Sometimes (yea - I live dangerously) when just unplugging it freezes up ALL usb devices (including my keyboard) because of an "improper unmount". I have a G5 Tower..

So - I choose to follow protocol now and "eject" my disc first. After that I can safely unplug my USB cord. And give a sigh of relief! ;)

Safe in Jersey - Cuskit

jbs224

Reaction score
I understand there is a difference of opinion as to whether you should "unmount" or simply pull the USB cable out of the Droid. What I was not clear on, is if you choose to unmount, how do you do it, from the PC or the Droid? If you select USB bar line on Droid and select turn off, it tells you to unmount, but I'm not clear how to do this. The manual says to use the "safely remove hardware feature." What the heck is this? Any clear guidance from all of you gurus would be great, as I am green as green gets. Thanks.

cuskit

Reaction score
Mounting and unmounting your card is speaking of "ejecting" the image of the card from your computer before pulling the cable. Not sure about a PC, but on a Mac, once you choose (on the phone) to mount the disk - you will see it appear on your desktop computer. At that point you can copy, delete, load or unload photos, music, files, etc to and from the disk. When finished - you simply drag the icon to the trash (which effectively ejects the disk) or highlight it and choose eject from your toolbar. After that, you can safely remove the USB wire. I'm sure a PC has a similar procedure.

Does this help?

cuskit

cchhiipp

Reaction score
To unmount when connected to the PC, on your Droid, drag down your notification menu and tap on "unmount". Then it's safe to unplug from the PC.

cuskit

Reaction score
To unmount when connected to the PC, on your Droid, drag down your notification menu and tap on "unmount". Then it's safe to unplug from the PC.
Thought I may have missed that screen on mine. So I just checked. Once I mounted on my Mac - there is NO unmount on the pulldown menu on the droid. So.... I'd say it does know when it's mounted to a Mac or a PC. No big deal, I'm just so used to cmd/e (command eject) I do it without thinking on my Mac.

Thanks for the PC clarification! ;)

cuskit

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
When i mount my sd card to my PC running Win 7 a pop up box appears. it says Do you want to scan and fix removable disc? There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc....

Options are scan and fix (recommended)
continue without scanning.

If I select scan and fix it mounts the sd to the droid again. If i continue without scanning it works fine. anyone have this issue?

Last edited:

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
Be interesting to see any complaints from people when we can install/run apps on the sd card. Then when you mount it and the phone can't see the card any more, watch as apps freak out. Hopefully though the firmware will have some way to gracefully handle those situations. I'm thinking more of those who would mount the sd card while in car to let their head unit play the music on the card...

Not sure how much of a problem it'll be though, guess we'll have to wait and see.

dogdays

Reaction score
I want to install the update.zip to my sd card. I can't see the card in my computer. All I have is the drive that is the phone with files such as Android, com, DCIM, lost.dir, media, nandroid, tmp, Action Complete. I put the update.zip on the E drive and it appears under these files. When I go to Astro I don't find any of these files anywhere and I don't have any files under sd card. How do I view the same thing on the computer and droid? How do I move update.zip to the sd card directory?

jgumphress

Reaction score
When i mount my sd card to my PC running Win 7 a pop up box appears. it says Do you want to scan and fix removable disc? There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc....

Options are scan and fix (recommended)
continue without scanning.

If I select scan and fix it mounts the sd to the droid again. If i continue without scanning it works fine. anyone have this issue?

I am running Win 7 also and get the same pop-up every time I mount. One time I clicked on the scan and correct, boy was that a mistake!! Leave that alone!!

dogdays

Reaction score
I unmounted my sd card from the phone and then mounted to the computer and found my files. When I unmounted from the computer the card mounted to the phone automatically.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's probably best to eject/remove from the PC to ensure that nothing is accessing the SD card when you unmount from your PC. If you unmount from your PC via the Droid itself it has no idea if anything is accessing your SD card (a good way to potentially corrupt data on the card).

JMono25

Reaction score
So, on mac....?

You do not need to unmount it...It does that when un-pluged from the USB cable...

You do if you're using a mac. And why not unmount on the PC? Its what you're suppose to do.

mac - eject
everything else - don't worry about it, just pull the plug!

So, I'm a new mac user and it is taking me time to get used to the ejecting business. Needless to say, I did NOT eject and now my droid is acting up. My contact shortcuts are accessing contacts they aren't supposed to, none of my facebook accounts are sync'd no matter how many time is sync, my weather channel app is on the fritz and the list keeps going?

Any thoughts on how I may resolve this?

dolpns13

Reaction score
unless your talking about from the droid itself and not using your pc. in which case use sdrescan from the market. i use it when adding photos to my sdcard and wanting them to show up on the gallery without rebooting. (same goes for music)

edit: or when adding .nomedia to a directory on my sd card.

Is this like a file manager?