What does Enable always on data do?

genebopp

Reaction score
I live in a verizon dead zone and have a network extender. The way they work is the signal doesn't show up on your phone (no bars) till you dial. Then the signal goes all the way up. Ever since I got my thunderbolt it has only been lasting for 4 or 5 hours. At my house the thunderbolt always has a full signal. But 5 hours of battery life sitting on the table wasn't acceptable. I started picking at settings. I turned off the "enable always on data" (Settings-wireless network-mobile network-enable always on data). Now my thunderbolt signal is acting like my TP2 signal and the battery drain seems to be MUCH better. I cant figure out what the "enable always on data" does. I still get push mail and txts and every thing seems to be updating. Anybody know what the "always on" does?

mjforte

Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing. Anybody know?

Sent from my Bolt!

flipteg

Reaction score
it enables the data even when the phone is on standby. if you uncheck that, you won't get any data while the screen is off. when i tried it, the phone wasn't able to get any of my emails from Gmail, but as soon as i turn the screen on, the emails started pouring in.

alboboy10

Reaction score
it enables the data even when the phone is on standby. if you uncheck that, you won't get any data while the screen is off. when i tried it, the phone wasn't able to get any of my emails from Gmail, but as soon as i turn the screen on, the emails started pouring in.

So then if you don't get notifications for e-mails, this is something that can help your battery by unchecking it.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
If you uncheck enable data, most background applications on your phone won't check for updates, etc when the phone is asleep. I'm not too sure about what happens when the screen is on and enable data is unchecked.