What do you attach your car dock to?

papy72

Reaction score
Title just about says it all. Do you window-mount or dash-mount?

Can you leave the car dock attached 24/7? I'm concerned about the suction cup giving out if I leave it up constantly.

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
I have been using a window mount since launch day without any problems at all. I would not worry about suction cups failing. I work for a fire department so I also have lights suctioned to the top of my windshield and have had them there for two years now without a single suction cup problem.

yourhero88

Reaction score
My Yaris has a big square plexi panel over the radio LED which is the perfect size/texture to stick the mount to.

Silver Member
Reaction score

Can you leave the car dock attached 24/7? I'm concerned about the suction cup giving out if I leave it up constantly.
the suction mount is mechanical. most suction cups fail because they become too soft, too flat or become brittle. as long as the rubber remains flexible, the suction will perform as expected.

jasonb

Reaction score
mine has been attached to my windshield for about a month straight now. it hasn't budged.

elgordo123

Reaction score
I have a Saturn Ion and because I also pipe music from the droid via an fm transmitter or input cable I can't put it on my window. I have a small slot on my dash above the radio. I took a piece of styrofoam and cut it so it fits tight and then took the arm part of the mount and secured it to the styrofoam. Now it is right where I want it. It's function over form, but so what. (Round vents, so vent mount is no go)
I didn't want to attach the disc to my dash (not wife approved). I also experimented with cutting down a paper coffee cup and putting the whole mount inside it, stuffing with paper and styrofoam for a cupholder mount. But I like it better up a little higher.
(And yes, I was a MacGyver fan!)

OP
papy72

papy72

Reaction score
the suction mount is mechanical. most suction cups fail because they become too soft, too flat or become brittle. as long as the rubber remains flexible, the suction will perform as expected.
Well, I'll just have to see what, if anything, the good old Florida sun does to it over the next few months.

Murz

Reaction score
Living in California I have to use the mounting cup on the dash. Had mine for almost a month, no problems at all.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think you're more likely to have problems if you constantly put it up and take it down.

Sal R.

Reaction score
Attached to an old Garmin friction mount that sits on the dash.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

If you use the suction mount right, unlike I first did, and toggle the suction tap or whatever its called, it works great. Mine hasnt fallen yet and I leave it on the window 24/7.. not always with the phone of course...

mitchb2

Reaction score
My Garmin window mount falls off constantly.
My Droid mount has been on since Christmas with no problems.

Chris Stack

Reaction score
Panavise car mount and then Garmin ball in my car. Hid a charger behind the dash and ran an aux-in cable. Now use Pandora as my primary source, and also like having Google Maps.

Honda005.jpg

Honda008.jpg