Dashboard car mount question

funops

Reaction score
Hi. Recently got a Droid 4 (enjoying it) and am new to having a dashboard mount for the car. I bought this one through Amazon:

Amazon.com: Motorola DROID 4 Vehicle Navigation Dock with Dual Port Rapid Vehicle Charger - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

It's pretty cool. However, new to having a phone mount in the car, my question is, do you remove it when you park the car in a parking lot, crappy valet, and so forth? It uses a latch to lock down the suction bottom. Flipping the latch up undoes it. Seems to me that makes it easy to steal. But I don't know if unlatching the suction all the time to put it in the glove box or whatever will eventually weaken the suction when put back on the dash. Your opinion welcome?

Thanks,
Bob

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I don't have this mount specifically, but I have owned quite a few car mounts with latches on them, both made by Motorola and other manufacturers. I would say in my experience, it hasn't really weakened the suction after repeatedly affixing and removing the mount. I also sometimes use a little dab of water (or I rub the the actual suction cup with a damp napkin) before mounting, especially when it's hot out, for extra hold. I remove the mount everytime I leave my car, regardless of where I park it. Leaving the mount on is like an invitation for someone to rifle through your car. Valets are no exception; they can (and sometimes do) search through and steal stuff from your car as soon as they drive out of your sight. I'd say to remove it when you step out, just in case, and don't worry too much about the latch losing its effectiveness. Like I said, I've been using these kinds of mounts for years and have yet to experience any kind of degradation in hold because of repeat usage of the latch.

OP
F

funops

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. While I don't know how car thieves think or what they look for to break into a car, I live in a major metropolitan area and car break-ins are not uncommon. (I do know of folks who had an expensive radio and came out to their car to discover the side window smashed and the radio ripped out of the dash causing significant damage in addition to the radio gone.)

When we were walking back to the car after shopping in the mall, I asked my wife does the phone mount and cables, even empty but quite noticeable on the dash say, "This car has stuff to steal, or am I being paranoid?" She felt it did make the car more noticeable to the eye. Good to know I can remove it without degrading the suction. Just as easy when removing the phone to flip the suction latch and put it away.

Yeah I've heard plenty of stories about unscrupulous valet attendants, even if you only give them a valet key.

Thanks again,
Bob