What consumes more power on the Droid - Wifi or 3G?

mapexvenus

Reaction score
I know that on the iPhone it is 3G that is the power-hungry culprit, and the recommendation is to turn 3G off when Wifi is available to conserve battery life - what about on the Droid?

ChalmersP

Reaction score
Same thoughts for me! Also, how do you turn off 3G? I have an app that lets me turn on/off wifi, bluetooth, GPS, and brightness... There is also a button that is two arrows going around in a circle... could that be it? If not, does anyone know what it is?!?! Thanks

Ed Blown Vert

Reaction score
Website
ls1.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S22U
My wi-fi turns off 3G.

But if you can set it to airplane mode, then turn on wi-fi. Then wi-fi is the only connection on. But I don't think you will get any calls.

Last edited:
OP
M

mapexvenus

Reaction score
Airplane mode = no phone calls and no 3G
Circle with arrows it = not sure but I have a strong hunch it is to turn of sync services

medicTHREE

Reaction score
My tests indicate that wifi consumes a significantly higher amount of data. Last night I browsed to 10 different websites, first on 3G, then let my phone sit for the remainder of an hour.

I then repeated this(and should have been easier on data considering the sites are now cached.) and let it sit for an hour. After each hour I examined the battery use application in settings.

The first time, under 3G, the display topped it at 46% with everything else under 9% each. The second time, Display was down to 37% and and WiFi was now listed as 26%.

Cell standby was 3% and phone idle was 4%.

let me know if you have any questions.